1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Encountering strange bottleneck. I don't THINK it's physics.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by daddydante88, Aug 12, 2021.

1. daddydante88

daddydante88
    Expand Collapse

System Specs:
    i7-8200k@5.2 ( De-Lid and loop. under 65c)
    64Gb DDR4 @3200
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3

I usually keep a simple overlay running when I'm gaming. BeamNG drive has been a bit of an oddball. Essentially, 45% GPU usage, 20% CPU usage, framerate roughly 100fps on a 144 monitor.

As someone who loves physics sandbox games, I'm familiar with the possibility being CPU bound. So I did some experimentation. To check on physics my experimentation was with one single car, multiple maps. Monitoring all CPU threads. Nothing maxed out. Turning on simple collision physics, no change.

Changing to a highly complicated texture map same frame rates. Increasing reflection detail, frequency and texture size, increased GPU usage. Same frame rate.

An example, also showing all game settings in start of video.

Any ideas?

( This issue is more of an odd curiosity than it is an actual annoyance.)

2. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Switch over to the vulkan renderer in the launcher window (you might have to hit support on the first screen or something like that).
    If you have <90% cpu & <90% gpu use, you could be hitting a draw call limitation - check task manager for a single core at 100% busier than all others.
    If you have this issue, it's the directX draw calls being computed by the CPU on a single thread. Vulkan is the fix for that, but the renderer CAN make the game less stable. Still, it's a choice for you should you wish to try it.

Vulkan is heavily a work in progress and FPS should improve when using it over the next several game versions. The slower per-core a CPU is, with more cores, will show better improvement as the game rendering engine is no longer limited to 1 thread for rendering only.

3. daddydante88

daddydante88
    Expand Collapse

Ill give that a go. but i did give my cpu threads a watch and nothing maxed out. also an update. On the Crash Hard 2.0 map. Im locked at 143 no problem
    --- Post updated ---
    Okay. You f'n hit the nail on the head dude. I'm hitting nearly 260 FPS on average in vulcan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice