Editing Terrain

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Loafy, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Loafy

Loafy
    Expand Collapse

I have started making a map and when I am editing the terrain the cursor or brush keeps flickering over to one spot and changing the terrain according to my brush. So I end up having a 200m high noise block after go around the perimeter of the island. Its easy to remove after but ugly as hell when I'm creating a map

• Like Like x 1
  2. austint30

austint30
    Expand Collapse

Try moving your terrain (and props) away from the affected area.

3. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Out of curiosity, is the area that the brush keeps flickering to in the center of the map? I'm asking because if it is I know exactly what you're talking about and it seems to be simply a bug with the map editor, and it becomes especially apparent when editing near the edge of the map or on areas where the terrain is really steep and the editor circle will flicker out of your view for a nanosecond.
    I know sometimes when I'm raising/lowering terrain I'll go back to look over the map and in the center will be an unintended spire of terrain material towering above the rest of the map. Only way to deal with it that I know of is to just leave the center of the terrain untouched until the end.
    Hopefully I am describing what you're talking about..

4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Yup, I've seen this in every map I've made thus far. Whenever the editor 'hitches' or 'skips' and the cursor stops for a second, it sends it back to that 0,0,0 part of the terrain (and it comes back a second later), and if you still have the mouse held down, it'll modify that part at 0-0-0 coordinates. I have learned to leave the 'error' part to fix last just before I package up the map and ship it out for testing. Sure you can move the map away (if you haven't put items there on the terrain yet), but that only creates another problem when you have a LARGE terrain (144sq/mi) map that would then be further from 0,0,0. The further from 0,0,0 you get, the more the physics act up. It starts to get noticably siezure-ish when you're 10~15 miles from the 0,0,0 map center.

Now granted, they have reduced skipping and hitching by atleast a good 50% give or take a few % in the last 0.5.6.x update - if they stop it from 'updating' while the mouse is held down it'll stop knocking the cursor back to 0,0,0. See, the cursor can't properly coordinate to it's designated location while the map is updating (the terrain coverings re-map when it does this, like grass, bushes etc). The terrain should still be physically changing while you've got the mouse held down, but the grass/bushes etc updating while you're doing this, causing the skips, is very unimportant compared to the issues it causes.

--Just a thought, anywho -- Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Loafy

Loafy
    Expand Collapse

Ah thought I was a bug. I have learned to deal with it though Save Often!!! Has anyone had any luck with L3DT? I see a few tutorials but I'm just trying to get a 20sq km heightmap imported and not having luck...

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I've used that a few times. Make sure your saving the file as 16 bit image and not 24/32bits because, otherwise, your terrain will come out super-flat when it shows up in Beam. It's a very nice program but honestly, it's not for me as it costs money and I am disabled. I make maps for fun, not for money, so basically, not going to put out the 35$ for the program just to make unofficial content. There *IS* a tutorial for it floating around here though I do know that much. Try searching the site of L3DT.

7. Loafy

Loafy
    Expand Collapse

My problem is that I have three or four sections that need fixing and after I fix a section or two it starts somewhere else. Kinda frustrating after an hour or two of progress goes out the window. I have tried centering the map to the map size or something like that I read somewhere

The basic version of L3DT is free
    --- Post updated ---
    fix a couple sections on one side and this happened somewhere else

Attached Files:

• 20160624113801_1.jpg
  8. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Actually, come to think about it I've seen the editor do that too, especially with the flatten terrain brush. I don't really have a solution but I would definitely imagine that it is a bug in the editor and isn't much we can do about it beyond just saving the terrain and fixing it when it inevitably hiccups. :/

9. bobby_boulgat

bobby_boulgat
    Expand Collapse

i believe that it depends a bit of the position of the camera

10. Loafy

Loafy
    Expand Collapse

turned terrain to 0 0 0 and any random cursor action only happens at one corner :D best thing I can figure out so far....been spending so much time in the editor :D

11. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

Had the same problem, And deleted the cache from the document/Beamng folder, and it is now silky smooth again, hope this can help you to :)

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

When moving terrain editing brush, or terrain painter brush while looking horizontally at a hillside, the brush can skip around wildly, it's a bug. It exaggerates the movement x-y wise. Try looking down from higher up. Likely happened with the old-smoothing tool (level/average height) with a small size. Just use the new smoother (like 3rd or 4th tool, not slope tool). It can smooth those really nice like they're not even there. Just wait to fix those before the map is released, so they don't happen again and have to be fixed again!

They fixed the hitching, but sometimes it just gets carried away when your looking almost perfectly horizontally. Don't edit like that, try to edit while looking down to the side like at a 45 degree angle is best, or whatever works. the flatter your view is the more likely it happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice