1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

East Coast USA - Feedback welcome

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by LJFHutch, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

I'd assume Firwood is the city in East Coast USA, as the 'Fir' part on the name would go along better with east coast geography then, let's say, Utah or JRI.

2. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

That has been assumed by the community, but I've always wanted the devs to confirm it.

3. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

I think it is, because many of the police vehicles like the Sunburst have Firwood on it.

4. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

But those are used in "Small Island Chase" which takes place (According to the license plates) in Texas. East coast is in Maine.

5. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Well, maybe they did that because the Hirochi Sunburst Police ones are the only really high-speed ones so that explains why they would use it.

6. EruptionTyphlosion

EruptionTyphlosion
    Expand Collapse

Again, we don't have confirmation. Also, the town in ECUSA has NO SIGNAGE whatsoever. It's just a bunch of unnamed brick buildings.

7. CarBro74

CarBro74
    Expand Collapse

Even then, it is still a WIP game. Maybe they will add more of that stuff later on but for now, we have our WIP game.

8. MercedesEclass

MercedesEclass
    Expand Collapse

Early versions of ECUSA did have one highway sign. I don't know if it said firwood though, but it did end in wood. Rockwood comes to mind for some reason.

9. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I was going to say that was the Maine town from the Iron Giant, but it turns out that town was called Rockwell. Gee, I wonder where the filmmakers drew artistic inspiration from...

Anyway, the highway sign was removed, due to the fact that ECA doesn't have an interstate, and the sign was clearly geared toward the kind of signage you'd get with a full dual carriageway. At any rate, I think the above comments are about storefronts, business names, and a legion of signs selling the sweet Atlantic nectar that locals call 'Lahbstah.' With more maps comes the need to give them a greater sense of personality and place, and ECA's Firwood would be a great place to start.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Zeke Atkins

Zeke Atkins
    Expand Collapse

Can you make the map bigger? Would be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. crazikyle

crazikyle
    Expand Collapse

The sign is still in the files. Claims the town is Fir rocks.
    screenshot_00272.png
    Can also clearly see Maine on the sign, though there is no I-572 in Maine, only I-295 around Portland
    screenshot_00273.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. King Ace

King Ace
    Expand Collapse

I liked this map before, when the sunlight was positioned towards the front of the starting spot, making it look like a sunset. Now it's somewhere else and it looks like early morning. Also I like the old pavement on the roads, now it looks way too dark. I don't know how to explain the lighting part well but, hopefully you get what I mean.

13. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

I find the map a bit.. Bland. it needs more identity
    --- Post updated ---
    This is evidence there once was the intent to have a bigger highway. maybe 2 lanes for each way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Snikle

Snikle
    Expand Collapse

It is sort of bland, but that's part of its charm. It was one of the first maps in the game. They should update it some, maybe give the buildings some signs, but it is a nice map that has a little bit of a lot of things.

And it being a small town in Maine always makes me think that a Stephen King story should happen there.

15. Y4123

Y4123
    Expand Collapse

I-572 doesn't exist at all

• Like Like x 1
  16. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

The original spawn point (prior to maps with multiple spawn points) started the car facing south, and the current lighting setup has the sun rising over the water to the east, and setting behind the hills to the west. If the sun was setting in front of the car, there was some geographic voodoo going on.

I do think it's a pretty good place for some architectural uniquities, too. Certain details like Georgian-era facades, shingle siding, and stone construction would set the New England area apart from other places in the US.

On the matter of creepy stuff, we do have the swamp shack, but still: if only the devs would set something up so that, at the right time of night, under the right conditions, something would be moving around in the woods.

Based on interstate numbering conventions, I-572 would be a spur off of I-72, an east-west interstate. This wouldn't make sense for ECA because:
    1. I-72 is based in the midwest, running from eastern Illinois to nary past the Mississippi into Missouri. Even if it continued further east,
    2. Interstate numbers are given based on latitude, and '72' isn't far enough north. Better numbers might be 92, 94, 96, or 98.
    3. Spur routes and beltways are usually relegated to major cities; it wouldn't be profitable to have one for a small town. And at any rate, the interstate being an east-west one means that the road would probably terminate at or near the coast anyway, so there's no need for a spur.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. King Ace

King Ace
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that lol, I just didn't know how to explain it. I like the previous lighting setup better.

18. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

What is this "swamp shack", and where on the map can I find it?

19. Instant Winrar

Instant Winrar
    Expand Collapse

20. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

SwampShack.gif

After a long search, I found it - now I'm not sure if I wanted to! :eek:

For anybody else interested, It's in the northwestern corner of the map. The closest spawn point is likely the Gas Station parking lot.
    upload_2017-5-11_22-7-5.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice