1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Early Experimental Preview of Career Concept

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Sep 19, 2022.

1. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Some feedback about the new tutorial system would be nice :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. VinniePrinnie

VinniePrinnie
    Expand Collapse

The tutorial IS AMAZING - it would be nice if you explained what happened if you recover or repaired during a mission - I'm still not sure if it costs money or if it's just a penalty?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

It's extremely well made, easy to understand for beginners but quick enough to not make it want to be skipped

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Mopman93

Mopman93
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Also any other feedback or bug reports about career should go here

• Like Like x 4
  5. CaptainV0408

CaptainV0408
    Expand Collapse

In the tutorial, at the instructions "Stop next to the fuel pump", I am unable to trigger the next objective,
    stopped the engine and everything....

Attached Files:

• 2023-09-2016_15_08-Clipboard.png
  6. plasticbodypanels

plasticbodypanels
    Expand Collapse

upload_2023-9-20_15-32-39.png
    what? what do i need to complete
    i cannot tow my car to the garage because i havent completed.. something?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TStabbert

TStabbert
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

This is a bug, the quicktravel button and the tooltip below shouldnt be there :) thx for the report

• Like Like x 2
  8. shadowace95

shadowace95
    Expand Collapse

The career is heading in a great direction, especially now that you have to earn your cars. I just wish that there was more of a reason to need to upgrade them/buy faster/bigger vehicles. I've played a few hours now and have yet to get to a mission that requires the use of my own vehicle. Additionally, i would like the ability to toggle police in the traffic rotation to add a little more excitement to my drives in between objectives, even more so now that repairs must be paid for. They could also impound the vehicle making you pay the fines. As far as bugs go I've yet to encounter anything major other than that I cannot access the computer without saving/reloading in between missions. My biggest complaint so far is the fact im stuck on west coast and cant enjoy it on other maps, im not a huge fan of the big cities. I'd rather a small town like east coast or utah that has some terrain variety other than pavement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CaptainV0408

CaptainV0408
    Expand Collapse

edit: The real bug is that while in the career/career tutorial the gameplay setting: "Enable gas stations in freeroam" is took in consideration making impossible to advance in the tutorial. I think that career mode should force the setting on, during the tutorial at least.
    --- Post updated ---
    While purchasing parts you are able to install parts that are already present on the car.
    upload_2023-9-20_17-3-38.png

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. simsimw

simsimw
    Expand Collapse

love this progress on career mode, its crazy it's been a year and it's finally getting better

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TStabbert

TStabbert
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for finding that!

• Like Like x 2
  12. shadowace95

shadowace95
    Expand Collapse

So i just done a race that i had to use my own vehicle to get the bonus star, and then i realized the damage carried over. To further add my .02 cents why could we not just use them from the get go instead of having to do the mission first? It could be turned into risk/reward system by only having insurance cover a certain percentage of the damage vs a flat rate of $500 and increase payouts based on using your vehicle. More risk = more reward. And for the delivery missions, if my customized d-series has a tow hitch you'd think i could use it instead of the stock one.

13. Nicelittle

Nicelittle
    Expand Collapse

Loving the update and career mode developments, its an interesting choice to bill players for crashing in a game many people view as a crashing game instead of a sim but I see what your going for. Looking forward to seeing where it goes from here!

14. Feden

Feden
    Expand Collapse

So I don't know if it's only in my save or what but I can't access the computers or the dealerships. When I press open dealership or computer sometimes (rarely) it works, sometimes it shows for one second and closes and most of the times it just doesn't work and the prompt to open the dealership goes away

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TLevi

TLevi
    Expand Collapse

I've always had this in mind, so now I'll write down my idea for the career mode here: from the WCUSA map, you could use the train or an airport to get to the ECUSA map. From there by plane to Italy map and then to New Zealand. And similarly to different maps where we can do different missions. It cost money to travel to another country and it takes 2 or 3 real life minutes. how about that?

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Yakuskin

Yakuskin
    Expand Collapse

The tutorial is great! Had no issues with it. However, i have a question regarding the car shopping system, is it possible for car info to take into account class of vehicle and its model year? I mean, right now i'm playing career and there is a 1987 Legran taxi with only 4700 km of mileage, which is obviously too small for a taxi this old, and at the same time 1986 bolide with over 180 000 km, which seems too much for a supercar, even of that age

• Like Like x 3
  17. ad boy 20745

ad boy 20745
    Expand Collapse

The new tutorial system works great. and my first hour or so of career gameplay has been really enjoyable. I think however I have encountered a bug. I cannot tell if I am doing something wrong on my end to cause this. But after saving and quitting with both cars I owned parked in the garage (an Etki and a Sunburst). I loaded back in with only my etki available. i know I saved that game after purchasing the sunburst as my money was still depleted having completed the sale. I am also unable to spawn the missing car in . as my computer shows empty on my owned cars list upload_2023-9-20_22-9-38.png

18. Yakuskin

Yakuskin
    Expand Collapse

I also have a suggestion, can you please add notification to confirm quitting purchasing parts when there are parts in the shopping cart, because at first i accidentally clicked "back" button, the shopping list has been cleared and i had to select all parts once again from scratch

Also, don't know, if it's a bug or temporary limitation, but there is no way to paint your car or to remove/change parts

Attached Files:

• Screenshot2023-09-21022249.png
    #178 Yakuskin, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
  19. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I can second this one.

First problem, you can't remove a part that's already on your car. Say I want to remove the back seats from that ETK, there's no way I can do that.

Second problem, you can't replace a part without purchasing a new one. Say I buy a vented Brigsby bumper for that same car, but then decide I liked the stock bumper better after all, I can't reinstall the stock one from inventory - would have to buy a new one instead. And the Brigsby bumper also comes with its own fog lights, even if you decide that you'd rather do without them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Great find with the disabled fuel stations bug! :)

Hey again everyone, another release is here already!? Thank you all for your incredible support during Career Mode's development journey. Your patience, bug reports, and enthusiastic feedback are truly invaluable to us!

We completely understand the concerns raised in the comments above and throughout the socials. I want to assure you that we are well aware of the current limitations, and we appreciate your patience as we work hard to enhance the overall experience. Our primary focus with this release was to establish the technical foundation for the tutorial system and lay the groundwork for additional upcoming features.

While the core gameplay loop is functional—challenging yourself, earning rewards and XP, and using them to modify or acquire vehicles—we acknowledge that it certainly requires further refinement and polishing. The next step involves developing specific gameplay elements for Career Mode, including things such as progression and tutorials for each skill branch.

Originally, using your own vehicle in gameplay was considered a "bonus" feature, this was up until recently when we introduced a level of persistent vehicle damage. Our initial approach was to provide balanced gameplay using a standardized vehicle and then allow players to retry challenges with their own vehicles, earning extra rewards. However, as we transition towards a more "build the best vehicle for the challenge" approach, it necessitates significant changes to our gameplay systems. Regarding this work, some of us are more excited than others haha!

Currently, the vehicle buying, selling, and customization aspects are still very much a work in progress. For instance, certain features, like the confirmation prompt when exiting parts shopping, didn't make it into this release but are high on our priority list. We can't yet mandate the use of personal vehicles for challenges due to these ongoing developments, so for now gameplay still provides a vehicle for you to play with. I want to always provide vehicles for players as some players will have no interest in purchasing and upgrading vehicles, some will wish to only race, or chase, or transport cargo all day, and it's important that those players will still be able to access the gameplay without owning a fleet of challenge-specific drag cars, rock-crawlers, and more.

One notable gap in the current experience lies in the gameplay and ownership feel within Career Mode. As we progress from core system development into producing and refining gameplay and challenges, you'll notice improvements in this aspect immediately. Many gameplay systems have transitioned from concepts to prototypes, and remain in the prototype phase still today, and we've tried to maintain consistency across them for scoring and progression. With the upcoming developments, we're super excited about the positive impact they'll bring.

For example, while introducing "Bonus Stars" as a collectible resource is straightforward, integrating them into existing gameplay and their respective systems, such as editors and back-ends, presents more complex challenges. In the current 0.30 release, Bonus Stars serve primarily for Quick Repairs, but we have many more exciting plans for them in the future!

Rest assured, there's a multitude of systems and features in the pipeline, including vehicle parts shopping, refueling vs. recharging, time trials, delivery missions, police interactions, rock crawling, comprehensive tutorials, complete progression implementation, career-specific art enhancements (like those in WCUSA), and much more—all being worked on simultaneously.

We're genuinely thrilled to see how much you're enjoying the provided gameplay experience, even in its bare-bones and unfinished state. Your positive feedback is incredibly motivating for our team, and we can't wait to bring you more exciting updates in the future. Stay tuned for further developments and please keep sharing your ideas with us, it's great to see what everyone gets excited for! ️

#180 krallopian, Sep 21, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 21
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice