1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Early Experimental Preview of Career Concept

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Cyan37

Cyan37
    Expand Collapse

Overall, what makes me the happiest at the moment is the little extra hype of what'll be new for career mode in each update from now on. :)
    Beam is one of the few games that still has me very excited for updates because I know that what we're getting will be quality, no matter what it is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. racerwilson1 2

racerwilson1 2
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if this should go to here, or the Linux one. My steam deck freezes whenever I try to load the career mode. Putting it on safemode after clearing cache let's it load near the end until it freezes. I have Beamng installed on my SanDisk extreme u3 a2 256gb microsd card if that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

So, I've completed this version of Career Mode! Woohoo! I'm so glad to see that Beam's finally getting a lot more gameplay!

upload_2022-11-8_8-41-52.png

And here's what I think. My critique's a bit long, so I'm gonna be using spoilers to keep it from being a giant text wall. Keep in mind that this was done on an XBox controller by someone who was just learning how to use one with no assists on most of the missions.

Overall:

A lotta fun, with a good variety of missions and disciplines. Just about everything from the game gets at least a little bit of the spotlight - trucking, police chases, stunts, circuit racing, and more. I don't know if the career mode should be this "general" instead of allowing people to pick a specific category (i.e. only doing Motorsport missions).

Some vehicles (like the bus) rarely, if ever, get featured, and I feel like the Specialized career path is heavily under-utilized. For a game with such heavy emphasis on customization and making "built" cars, it's a bit odd that I never had to build my own cars for any of the missions.

The current game economy seems to give out a ton of money - which does make sense, considering how expensive some of the cars in this game can be and how many cars and configurations there are. I'd really like to see prices for parts displayed in the complete version - perhaps even a PI system, like Forza.

(I know there's already the "Performance Class" thing, but it's not currently being used for very much ATM, and it's only for stock configurations.)

Motorsport:

Not too many issues here. I loved doing (most of the) hot-lapping scenarios. Especially Solar Circuit - that was an absolute blast on controller. Sailing through the first turn at 39 mph (~63 km/h), barely on the edge of grip - oh, yes. I really liked the crawling missions, too - yes, they were quite frustrating, but they were great practice for using a controller.

The only major problems I've had controls-wise are mostly with the drifting missions - and that could mostly be attributed to me not turning off anti-aliasing to reduce lag. I feel like the points counter is a little quick to complete a chain after you stop drifting, and it is a bit cheesy that I can gain huge points from spinning out or going in reverse.

Two specific AI races - Street Rivals and Going the Distance - are practically hotlap sessions after the first big braking zone, since the AI just plows into the barrier and wrecks themselves. It's nice that I can pull out my own cars after I've won these races, and their layouts are fun. I really like how Rivals uses the tunnel system part of the way - which is rather under-utilized in Beam in general.

Thankfully, the other three AI races - West Coast Circuit 1 and the two Highway Loop races - are a lot more challenging and fun, and the AI can actually drive there without crashing all the time - even with traffic enabled. Granted, I do tend to leave them in the dust, especially around the highway loop, but they still can put up a decent challenge.

Laborer:

I liked the generally laid-back nature of this path compared to Motorsport - especially the Garage-to-Garage missions. Those are fantastic for just driving around for an hour or two, listening to music. The deliveries do tend to be a bit short - I think Italy is more suited to G2G, since it's a much bigger map.

I do think that the mode could maybe use a damage penalty system to discourage crashes. That might be too punishing, though - perhaps it could be an optional bonus, like "Do 10 deliveries without a single bit of damage"?

Moving Assistance, Furniture Delivery, and especially Fuel Delivery were all quite challenging - which is good, to break up the monotony of "take vehicle from here to there" that Laborer can be. I don't think such missions should be the primary focus of this path (especially Fuel Delivery) but I think that Broken Truck could work well if career mode ever goes to East Coast, USA.

I wasn't expecting the T-Series to have such a prominent role in this path, having four missions all to itself (the same as the D-Series in this path, and one of the most frequently-used vehicles in Career Mode). I don't think that's a problem to have a big rig show up that often for probably the only career path it can reasonably be used for.

However, it could maybe be a late-game vehicle, with the smaller trucks having more missions devoted to them early on. Especially the Pigeon - that thing's street cleaner variant would work nicely for some trash-collecting missions.

There wasn't as much of the H-Series in Laborer as I thought there'd be, considering it's "the big van" in this game. I didn't drive it much in G2G, it almost never showed up in traffic, and there's no missions where it's used as the stock player vehicle. The Wentward was completely missing from career mode - it might work as a part of Laborer with its bus missions, but it might also work well in Specialized.

Speaking of which...

Specialized:

Not much to say here, gameplay-wise. It's just six police chases of varying difficulties, all of which are either done in the Grand Marshal, Roamer, or Sunburst. I did have a lot of fun with Tamper Proof and Dangerous Speeds, though.

This path could definitely have much, much more added to it - the ambulances, fire vehicles, and even the taxis and Wentward could be rolled under this umbrella in their own missions, especially since WCA already has the infrastructure for all of them. But I don't know how much y'all want to push this path as an option - it might be better being rolled into the Laborer path.

Adventurer:

Man, this is one wild path - it's probably the most "traditional Beam" of the four. Shooting Pigeons, knocking over barrels, parking cars, jumping over the city, car darts - it's a lot of goofy fun.

I really liked A Flock of Pigeons - it's always nice to see the Old Cannon get some use. Construction Slopes was a lotta fun, too - it was a real challenge getting my Moonhawk to hit all the bollards under the time limit, balancing grip and speed with precise aim. Parkhouse Bully was a riot for me - parking and demo-derby mayhem? Yes, please.

The parking missions were some nice low-speed fun - Back and Forth was especially great fun in cockpit view, learning how to quickly switch from forward to reverse driving, while I found Dockyard Parking and Construction Road Parking a bit frustrating, mostly due to the '88 Pessima and Miramar having manual transmissions.

I haven't been able to get more than two stars on the two Mudbarrels missions - I don't know if it's just me having skill issue, my computer being slow, or the game simply not giving enough time to whack down the barrels. Could be a combination of all three.

I don't know what other major types of adventuring could be added - maybe some Wentward or T-Series stunting?

Anyway, just another bit of rambling from me.

• Like Like x 10
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
  4. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hey everyone, I'm James and I've been heading up the overall design and implementation of our Career Mode. We have an incredibly talented team of people across board - art, coding, design, UI, sound, marketing, testing, and more - and it's been an awesome adventure, for lack of a better term, to get us to where we are today with the career mode! We have had a few iterations of a career within the company over the years, but we never quite felt confident enough with the results to release anything; until now!

The feedback for Career Mode so far has been heart-warming to say the least, and without being able to express it enough through words, all I can make clear is that I've been just as excited about Career Mode as everyone else has as well!

For providing us with categorized lists of likes and dislikes, to explanations and recounts of various player experiences, to all the various wish list suggestions; thank you all!

I'd like to explain that a lot - the majority in fact - of the ideas proposed are actually in the plans and already being worked on and even tested. There are a lot of moving targets when it comes to polished gameplay though and this is certainly why things have taken as long to reach a playable alpha test of some career gameplay.

The most important features are being built first: The UI/UX is a massive one, then the progression and branch system, then comes the art/content creation and actual gameplay development. For this first release we wanted to come up with some quick but quality gameplay that gives a taste of the four branches and demonstrate how with only four branches we can cover all gameplay currently available and likely ever possible through mods. For instance the "Adventurer" branch is a sort of catch-all for anything that doesn't fit into your classic driving-game mechanics. Do you want to try to deliver pizzas, while driving a banana-shaped submarine on tank treads, in negative gravity while being attacked by couches and evading the police? NP, that sort of modded career gameplay fits nicely in "Adventurer" and will still provide the player with XP for Motorsports, Specialized, and Labourer branches!

I recognize and agree that there is certainly a missing feeling of progression at the moment, and that really just comes down to both missing and initial on-boarding to career mode and also that a lot of the current gameplay was added together to fill a gap. Rest assured, plans are to have a player really feel like they are progressing through say… a motorsports branch by starting them off with lackluster vehicles, earning XP to unlock further gameplay and gaining access to increasingly challenging/exciting races both on-road and off-road. Best of all, and most importantly, if a player doesn't enjoy playing off-road rally races, they won't be forced to do them in order to progress in the game, and this is where the tiers and branches really shine and help out with moving things along. For example, there is no need for a player to receive 3-stars in all Tier 1 races in order to advance to Motorsports Tier 2. However, as a player progresses through the tiers, they may gain access to other events they otherwise may have never attempted, or found too difficult earlier on in their career progression.

Let’s take for example a rock-crawling event: This is a "Motorsports Branch'' style of gameplay, and perhaps after finishing a certain event the player will be given the ability to deliver their vehicle to another location. This is now "Labourer Branch" style gameplay, however perhaps it is off-road delivery! Now the player is doing some of that technical off-road gameplay that they enjoy from rock crawling, BUT now with delivery gameplay thrown in. This is a very strong design decision for the overall gameplay to ensure players are exposed to everything BeamNG offers, but never FORCING the player to do stuff they themselves find boring or too difficult. So if the player says, “I absolutely abhor driving trucks” then they simply will not participate in that event, and continue doing only what they prefer!

This brings us to the ever-challenging topic of game balancing. BeamNG almost certainly provides the most unforgiving driving experience out there, if you tap a curb a little too hard, there is no coming back from it! Personally, I love the idea of a "hardcore mode" or something I've personally been calling, "Extreme Mode" throughout development chats. However, in the real world, we have players who only drive with keyboards or only drive with gamepads, or only drive with steering-wheels and pedals, or some other exciting method of controls! Right off the bat this provides an almost impossible challenge for us to overcome. I personally create the Motorsports Time Trial events, and I need to make sure the races are possible to beat with a keyboard (full throttle, full brake, full steering, full clutch, etc.) but that they are also challenging and exciting for players utilizing full sim rigs! Now, throw in damage penalties and monetary penalties, and we quickly will see that the majority of players become bankrupt in their first race.

To overcome some immovable challenges that arise from our damage model - and to avoid reducing the fidelity of our physics - a difficult decision was made: Allow the player to participate in events with a provided vehicle, one they do not need to pay for or maintain. If the player decides they want to use their own vehicle/tune/etc. then they must first achieve at least one star in that event to unlock the ability to do so. As Career Mode has been WIP there are still circumstances where this isn’t fully fleshed out yet, but it is certainly planned to be consistent across all gameplay.

Next up is the money! I hear everyone shouting, ‘Show us the money!’ and that’s about all we did with it so far, we showed that it will exist. Currently you can accumulate money, but you cannot yet spend it. In the works right now are various persistence systems being developed to allow you to spend money on all sorts of things. This is a VERY large task though and I can’t promise it will be coming anytime soon - we are still working on the overall game balancing systems (and some very exciting supporting systems, think “stats tracking.”) We have plans to let the players buy and sell vehicles, tunes, configurations, and more throughout their career progression. Conceptually it’s very simple, but in practice/execution we need a very intuitive UI and this requires some missing tech that is being worked on very hard by incredible designers and coders right now. Money can be spent to recover your vehicle, spent to enter special limited-time events, and much more that will be revealed as time goes on. For now, the $1000 you win here or the $2500 you win there, is just for demonstration purposes and will have significant allure in the coming releases.

Finally, the story. As mentioned earlier in this post, we have had various iterations of a career mode throughout the years, some with comic book style characters, some with individual stories per “campaign” and other gameplay just being a random pile of events visible for the player to choose from. As it stands right now, there is no plan to make a, “Welcome to BeamNG world, your name is _ _ _ _ _ and you need to become top dog in Belasco City!” style of gameplay. HOWEVER, and this is important, we certainly want the player to feel like they are a part of the world they are playing in. We have some really exciting additions coming up that open the doors to letting players feel like they are making a difference to their world. Think for example, “deliver these stolen goods to location X in this red truck” and then once that has been completed, “mission Y is now available” and this could be something as simple as, “player delivered stolen goods in a red truck” and now there is a police mission available for, “there is a red truck delivering stolen goods” and you get to reverse the roles. Then there are far grander plans, being worked on right now, for far greater. . . lasting impressions throughout the gameplay. I don’t want to give anything more away on that just yet, but what matters here is: We do not need to write a script for the overall game, as much as we simply need to ensure the player feels like their actions matter throughout their experience, and this is something I’m most excited for!

I feel like I’ve touched on quite a few topics here — and I can go on for another five pages with this — so I’ll leave it here for now. Again, the feedback, the suggestions, and the overwhelming number of positive responses across this thread and the others like it, along with the posts on all the socials, is incredibly inspiring to our team, so thank you for that. We can’t wait to show you what's coming down the line, but just remember that it’s a real process and we’re making sure we do things right, from the bottom up, instead of just throwing 4 hours of sparkly gameplay and calling it a day.

- James

• Like Like x 29
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

An excerpt from something I wrote in another thread:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Oh, my, I wasn't expecting my first staff pick - and a great reply - to my OP.

Once again, I'm gonna be using spoilers, since this will be quite a long post and I don't want to make another text wall.

James, if you want to reply, you don't have to reply to all of these points - just whichever ones are most important.

Feedback/UI

Hello, James! Thanks for making your post - it's very detailed and clears up a lot of things about career mode.

I know that A Rocky Start features drawn cutscenes, and Hustle and Bustle also has a drawn director character who features in the beginning and end of missions. The old Driver Training campaign also used to feature a drawn trainer character (I think it was Mike? I dunno, it's been a while). As far as I know, no new characters have been drawn in a long while - will any Rocky Start-esque cutscenes be featured in the final version, or will it be just "go to mission, select mission, complete mission"? The current style works fine, and I can definitely see cutscenes being expensive, time-consuming, and hard to run on low-end systems.

Ooh, interesting! That's very nice to hear - and I think introducing career mode in a solid WIP state to gather feedback, instead of waiting until it's fully released to do so, was a fantastic idea.

I know that Beam's often struggled with UI development, so I can absolutely see why having a good UI would be so important to y'all. Currently, and especially later in the game with so many little bubbles on the map, it can be a bit difficult figuring out exactly what missions are new. I think highlighting new missions in a different color could help people find them easier.

Also, I'd love for the missions to show their win conditions when they're selected in the map, instead of having to drive to the mission to figure out how to win it. It'd make figuring out which missions people want to do easier and faster.

Perhaps an app that tells people what street/highway they're on would be nice - it probably wouldn't do much for gameplay, though.

Other than that, I haven't had any major issues with the UI design - it's clean and functional.

Gameplay Part 1

And I can say that it's worked very well - I managed to drive almost every official vehicle in Beam at least once in Career Mode, with almost every discipline covered - but there are a few things...lacking.

For instance, will there ever be missions for the ambulances, fire vehicles, Wentward, and taxis in the full Career Mode? WCA's got a full bus station right in the middle of Belasco, and the city's got a massive hospital and fire station, as well. It'd be a bit odd for these vehicles to not be utilized at all when there's already the infrastructure for it. The ambulances and fire vehicles could go into Specialized, while the Wentward and taxis would work nicely in Laborer.

Beam also has a lot of demo-derby configurations and a full Derby Arenas map, as well as many figure-eight tracks like the one in the racetrack at WCA. Will we get to do demo-derbies at all in Career Mode? They're quite popular with players, would showcase the game's damage model, and be a nice, easy way for people to make some cash early on. There's no need to worry about crashing in demo-derbies when the whole point is to crash.

I don't know which branch demo-derbies would fit into - they're a form of Motorsport, but they fit into the "smash-'em-up" style of Adventurer. Speaking of which...

Well, that mission would certainly be wild. And yeah, I certainly hope that Adventurer gets even more goofy stuff to showcase Beam's potential - it would be a great way to feature more of the props, like the large cannon, the piano, and all the furniture. Things which normally wouldn't be touched in a racing game's career mode.

The current progression works quite well, but I think it's a bit fast - going from a stock Covet to a Scintilla in two tiers is...jarring, to say the least. How long do you plan for the full Career Mode to be, roughly?

Will there be any specific "championships" or whatnot to the Motorsports branch? For instance, West Coast Circuit #1 features similarly-performing vehicles which are (presumably) in the same racing class. It might be a bit difficult to balance, and class-spec'd racing configs don't tend to exist right now, but something like a mini-GTE or -Group 4 would be real fun to have in the full Career Mode.

Likewise, a full street-racing "championship" like the one featured in Street Legal Racing: Redline would be neat, as well. There's already the infrastructure in WCA for this, as well - the junk-cars dealer near Logistics would work great for buying a beat-up starter car, if one wants to, and there's multiple other dealers and repair shops to buy cars and parts from, too. I dunno how well this would work out in, say, East Coast or any of the Texan maps (Derby, Industrial).

With so many maps, these "championships" could be the way in which the player explores the game world. If they complete all the races in their series at WCA, they can move on to, say, Utah, then ECA, etc.

This is excellent to hear, since I had many issues completing Circuit Drift initially, but then came back and did...alright at it. Certainly alright enough to unlock the other drifting missions. Likewise, I had a lot of trouble with The Gauntlet - only got 80 points after many, many failed attempts. Likewise, while I do enjoy doing the Garage-to-Garage missions a lot, they're not the kind of thing I can just pick up and play. If I want to get all five stars, I gotta drive around for like, 1-2 hours.

That sounds brilliant - and that same rock-crawler can then be used in an Adventurer mission, if the player so chooses.

I think that for this style of "combo", the Specialized branch might be the most difficult to combine. Then again, depending on how that branch works, a player might not need to buy any vehicles at all.

Gameplay Part 2

Yep, I can agree with this. Even in games which I would normally consider unforgiving, like Wreckfest, you don't have nearly as much risk of suddenly losing all steering because you whacked a curb too hard. It's a lotta fun for me, but I can see how it'd be a pain for y'all to balance around.

And I'd say that you did it quite well. I've driven career mode completely on controller (without assists) and about halfway through on keyboard (with almost all assists), and I can say that a lot of missions don't feel significantly more difficult on one method than another. It's easier for me to do most missions on controller, but even on keyboard, I was still doing just fine.

Granted, I've been driving on keyboard for well over a decade on hundreds of racing games, and for almost 7 years on Beam. Controller, I have about...two or three weeks' experience.

Oh, you made the Time Trials? Awesome! They're very cool for just trying to improve my driving.

As you probably know, I massively enjoy Solar Circuit. The combination of a tiny, simple circuit with a little hot hatch buzzing around at low speeds is just magnificent.

I also liked Horizon Sprint a lot - I found out that if I shortcut the last chicane before the big bend after the recovery point, I can save 2-3 seconds per lap (which is how I got 3 stars there). And that first fast "hairpin" was absolutely awesome to get the Vivace through - I had to basically dance on the throttle to keep it from spinning while maintaining enough corner speed for the exit while dodging the barriers. Absolutely beautiful corner, and helped me get a bit better at throttle control in FWDs.

Steep Bolt, Fog Hill Shilly-Shally, and the other time trials were a lotta fun, too - I like how Steep Bolt uses the blocky street pattern to make an old-school racing game layout. Cathedral Race or whatever it's called was great, too - the layout looks very simple on the UI, but all the jumps and bumps make it a right thrill to complete.

Belasco Core and Palisade Sprint were a bit less fun, but they were still fine. The first fast sweeper and the fast jump sweeper at Core were a right PITA since I couldn't go as wide as I wanted to to get the best line. It was fun when I nailed them, though, and they were good for practicing controller driving at high speeds over uneven terrain.

Palisade was basically a "don't lose traction" contest on ice, and man, was it tough to drive that 291 Barstow fast without it overheating or skidding into a pole. Granted, these issues could be because I'm quite unskilled at using controller and I'm using no assists - I don't think the layouts should be changed if you don't want to change them. I just find them quite difficult.

I should probably re-try them, now that I'm getting better frames with no AA - that could help me get three stars at those sprints.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense - with how often I crashed in Career Mode, I think I would've gone bankrupt pretty quickly, even with almost 500K cash and often using very cheap cars.

Economy and Story

It's very nice to know that we'll be spending our BeamBucks on cars, parts, repairs, and fuel, among other things.

Will we be able to sell these cars with other players, like the Forza Horizon Marketplace? I know that'd probably be a massive technical headache on top of what already is a very difficult task, and it'd introduce a whole load of other issues (like scamming), but if it's reasonably possible, it could be nice to see happen.

Ooh, what kind of special events? And how will their "limited-time" nature work, anyway? Will it be like, "You have [x amount of time] to enter [y event] after completing [z event]"?

Speaking of which...how many of the maps will be involved in the full career mode? Because I know that back in 0.22, WCA, ECA, Italy, and Utah all received more dealerships and repair shops - and not only does it help the atmosphere, it also makes them more viable career mode maps.

Utah features the Senseless Destruction and A Rocky Start campaigns, parts of which could be rolled into the full Career Mode. (Senseless Destruction's scenarios would work great for the Adventurer branch.)

And, of course, there's Small Island, which is placed off the coast of California - presumably near WCA. I think having a teleport point somewhere on the coast of WCA (probably a ferry, like the one in Port Escape) that goes to Small Island in Career Mode would be nice. A similar treatment could be given to ECA and Hirochi, as well as Industrial and Derby.

Italy,
    ETK, and JRI might not feature in career mode, since they're so far away from the mainland US, and Automation...probably won't either. But I think at least the first three of these maps would work great - Automation might not be "canon" to the Beam universe.

But I dunno. Maybe career mode will be much bigger than just "do missions at WCA and maybe Small Island".

Ooh, I like this idea of a relatively "unscripted" career mode - it certainly opens a lot of possibilities for alternate paths.Will crashing into traffic affect the story at all, or no? Like, if you crash into a Scintilla in freeroam, will you suddenly piss off its owner enough to not be able to complete a certain mission or two?

I think that instead of having two scenarios, they could be packaged into one like in Gull's Roadblock Run scenario. You start off driving the truck, but if you complete the mission as the truck, you then get to be the police. Completing the mission as the truck unlocks, say, an Adventurer mission or two, while the police run gets you some more Specialized missions. I dunno how hard that'd be to work into the current scenario system, though.

I don't think I've ever seen a career mode done like this - maybe I just don't play games with career modes enough. In Wreckfest's career mode, I just had to complete enough races and get enough points to win the trophy for said series, and then move on to the next series. Sunset Racer 2's career mode was...well, unfinished, and was almost entirely "do time trials to unlock more time trials, etc.". But this unscripted style works extremely well for such a freeform game as Beam.

Anyway, enjoy!

#66 DriftinCovet1987, Nov 9, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Feedback/UI
    No problem & my pleasure! =)

As it stands right now, there are no plans to go this route moving forward. We do have some incredible artists on our team, and some of the work our concept artist comes up with ... I hope one day we can share it with everyone, she is remarkably talented!

You know, when news came down from above that we were going to go this route, I was crushed at first! It really helped stir teams into a fury of productivity, and we pulled together and the community reception was absolutely fantastic. Wouldn't have it any other way now!

This is certainly a feature that we've improved, stay tuned for more on that with our next update.

"You are now driving on Belasco Freeway" would be awesome, but for now that's far out from the design scope, though we have done some tests a few years ago, "Take the ambulance to, Bob Street, there was an, accident, we need to get there in, 2:14" etc.. procedural things that eventually lead to our Garage 2 Garage gameplay! This isn't off the table though, just not a priority at the moment.

Gameplay Part 1

I'm impressed that it worked out that way, it wasn't exactly intentional to include all vehicles, rather all vehicle gameplay. So that's great to hear!

This, this and this! We certainly plan to feature more gameplay around specialized vehicles as well as taxis and bus gameplay. For now though, I wanted to be sure that we didn't release BeamNG.BusDrivingSimulator as a first impression!

Absolutely, going from a Covet to a high-trim Scintilla will certainly take longer for the player to experience as time goes, but for now this was just to add some spice and give players more of a sense of, "wow so I thought I was an ace driver, but holy crap there is some real experience needed to nail this style of gameplay!"

This is a very big point of excitement for me, championships, "cups" and more. I am really looking forward to side-events that the player is exposed to based on their driving. A player should never be granted, "WCUSA COVET CUP!" if all they do is play Labourer missions. This is a small example of how much time and effort is needed across our team though to produce this level of content. In one way, we want the WCUSA Covet Cup to be presented to players who would enjoy it, but another way, we don't want to invest months of development on the track designs, props, testing, etc, only to have the majority of players never even come across the event. However, as I'm super excited for this style of gameplay, I am making sure we plan it all out as well as it deserves.

This was my experience as well! At first, "I HATE DRIFTING IN BEAMNG!!" and within a few tries, "waaaait a second I think I get it" then eventually, "Hah, I got FIVE TIMES the top score, I'm a champ" and it's that level of mastery I hope the career mode will provide to players. I expect to see, "This game is stupid hard, I keep crashing into curbs on the first turn" to, "I've got this Covet going 10/10ths on Solar Circuit, and I'm chipping away my times 1000th of a second each lap!"

For me personally, I see the specialized branch being predominantly police style gameplay. Whether pursuit, or evasion. Then there will be things like hazmat delivery, body guards/escorts, ambulance, and more. There is an in-house joke about me and firetrucks. We don't actually have plans currently to make one, but I did joke about them for months, to the point now that I will join in on a vehicle-team meeting and say, "..... firetruck!" :D

Gameplay Part 2

I too started only playing with keyboard, and I often champion our game for being so friendly to users who only play on keyboard! It's a digital ON|OFF button, and no vehicle gets throttle ON or brake ON when driving, and yet the team here has made driving the most realistic behaving vehicles, quite easy to handle! I used to just open BeamNG and drive with keyboard on gridmap when on the phone, or waiting for a download on my 500kbps internet.

Yup! Though I didn't pioneer the actual logic behind the scenes (the flowgraph) I certainly planned out the routes, test, and placed all the curbs and signs and tire marks etc. It's a tedious process, but I throw on a podcast or something, and 3 hours later.... there are 1200 barriers placed, or ... the drift course is built!

This makes my heart melt! I fought for this one a couple years ago in our earlier career prototypes, "This is the sort of layout that players will really be able to hone their skills on!" and with this revised career mode, I was sure to add it back! So glad you enjoy it! :)

Great feedback, and of all the time trials currently released, I agree, Belasco Core is my least favorite. As for Palisade Point, this is one of my other favs because it pushes the poor car to the limits! You finish the event just as your brakes are about to go out and your engine can't take much more! :D

Just don't forget your hard hat! ;)

Economy and Story

This is something that involves a LOT of different systems, and right now although we've discussed it, it's not in the immediate plans.

For now, we have been building all of the career prototype technology on WCUSA as it allows for all types of gameplay, in a smaller and more compact/easier to test environment. I would love to see career spread out across all of the maps especially since some of them lend themselves well to branch-specific gameplay - like Utah and offroading for instance. Stay tuned for more on this though ;)

I just got off a call with Gamergull actually, we were discussing the traffic's "random events" functionality and which ones we should better focus on, which would be fun annnd which ones would hurt the players fun!

Again, super glad you and others enjoy the current state and direction of the career mode, we're all so excited to keep moving forward with it and feedback like this really helps keep us grounded! Thanks once again for all your time putting these tidbits together! :)

That's all for now, gotta get back to working on _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ on WCUSA! ;)

• Like Like x 12
  8. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

Junkyards?
    I'm on my hands and knees praying that we'll be able to pry parts off of junk cars and use them on our own cars

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Sparks4

Sparks4
    Expand Collapse

Or the ability to fix certain parts on our cars without respawning them, like if we pop a tire or break a lower control arm - it would be really neat to be able to fix parts on our vehicles

• Agree Agree x 10
  10. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

That would be a challenge to code for sure... what if the chassis bends in a way that it will clip with that part when it's fixed and it will break again? The game would need a system to detect clipping based on original and deformed node positions, to determine what can be fixed and what not. Probably possible but very tricky.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. coolcarguy#1

coolcarguy#1
    Expand Collapse

he said in a different thread that that was actually just nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mikah 01

Mikah 01
    Expand Collapse

Can you include a vehicle choice ?

13. gamerkecske07

gamerkecske07
    Expand Collapse

damn, this has a really strong Driver: San Francisco vibe imo, i love it!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I wasn't expecting another reply, and so soon, as well! Thank you so much, James!

Anyway, enjoy!

Feedback/UI

Alright, that makes sense; would love to see her work, as well!

Excellent! That's very good to hear.

Oh, nice! I didn't expect this idea of mine to be a big priority, so I don't mind if it isn't included in the finished career mode.

Gameplay Part 1

Yusss! That's fantastic to hear! I know that the current bus mode isn't very popular with people, since the Wentward is so slow, but I reckon that the taxis will be more popular with players since they're faster, cheaper, and you can modify a taxi into a race car or whatever else.

Makes sense for a condensed version of Career Mode.

That sounds fantastic! However, will AWD be banned from the circuit-racing championships? Few circuit-racing series allow AWD, and with so many AWD-capable cars in this game, I think it'd make sense to not allow cars to use, say, a slightly-modified Vivace 410Q in a BTCC-equivalent championship. Likewise, a lot of racing series have displacement and/or horsepower limits - will these also be a thing, or is that a bit too complex and limiting?

This would also allow street racing to stand out a bit from the professional racing. Just about anything would be able to race and the money earned could be fantastic, but the risks of crashing and getting caught by the police are quite a bit higher. This system might force people into using one or more cars per series, but with how many cars are in the game right now, I think that's a fine compromise.

This is exactly what happened with me - except not just with drifting, but with controller driving in general.

About a month ago, I decided I wanted to transition to controller by taking 650 official configurations around Hirochi Raceway Medium for some hotlapping on keyboard. I did 2 laps in the forward configuration with no rolling start and most of the assists turned on. It took me about two weeks to do all the laps in those cars - about 1,500 in total, with all the crashes and spin outs and mechanical issues I had with the cars.

I sometimes managed to go 7-10 seconds a lap faster than the times I did last December on keyboard. However, I only drove the Picco 110 around Hirochi on controller with no assists. I ended up going only half a second a lap faster than on keyboard with the same car, and after that..hotlapping at Hirochi wasn't much fun for me. I have the laptimes all saved in an Excel spreadsheet, so if anyone wants to see them, I could probably make another post or a thread or something for them.

With Career Mode, though? I spent about half the time getting better at multiple types of driving while having a lot of fun, and still getting to drive many different vehicles. It certainly works well as a good "training" for people who want to get better at the game.

Hehe, that's quite funny. But yeah, I kinda expected Specialized to be heavy in police content - it's got a police car as its logo, after all. The hazmat delivery and body guard/escort missions do sound interesting, though - I wonder what vehicles will be used for those.

Gameplay Part 2

Oh, nice! I think I remember seeing some of your posts about drifting on keyboard back in the day. And yes, for being such a realistic game, Beam's driving model is very keyboard-friendly. I remember playing this sim called Simraceway about 10 years ago, and that was quite fun on keyboard in slower cars, like the AE86 or 2000GT. I even did fairly well with my MP4-12C...until I got perma-banned for ramming players too often.

The base stock car in that game couldn't turn around one of the big ovals - I think it was Daytona - where, in order to get the car to turn properly, I had to damage its steering just right to get its front right wheel to basically auto-turn for me.

Then again, that game was heavily wheel-centered, and even had its own racing wheel - the SR1W or something like that. I've never had to do any such cheesing in Beam, even in the really difficult cars like the Bolide Group 5, to get them around circuits on keyboard or controller. I just had to not be a muppet.

That does give me an idea - the stock Burnside configurations really hate hard driving (I've had the Dual-Matic blow its engine after less than 2 laps of Hirochi Raceway Medium), so perhaps one of those could feature in another Palisade-esque time trial. Perhaps around Mount Wallis or the redwoods or tunnels - places which aren't used much in Career Mode as of right now, but which would work very well for Burnside torture time-trailing.

Economy and Story

A'ight, fair enough. If it doesn't get added, that's fine - I understand how difficult it could be, and y'all already have a long road ahead of you.

That makes sense - I know a long while ago, when WCA first came out, people (including me) complained about how...small the map felt, with the racetrack taking up a large portion of the middle. Thankfully, a lot has been done to make the place feel bigger (I-110 now loops onto Highway 55 and 54, the tunnels in the city were added, among other changes), and now that I've tried career mode, it works well as an "introductory jack-of-all-trades" place.

Oh, yes, Utah would be a great place for the player to go to for an off-roading championship - but tying into the whole "freeform" idea, I might have an idea of how the map unlocks could work. Map unlocks could happen automatically by getting enough BeamXP, or they could be unlocked sooner with enough branch-specific XP (or maybe even competing in championships).

Let's say I want to go to Jungle Rock Island, which in this instance takes 2K BeamXP to travel to. However, if I complete a lot of the Adventurer missions and get to Tier 4, I can unlock JRI faster.

Or, if I want to go to Derby Arenas, which in this instance takes 500 BeamXP to travel to, I could compete in a derby championship starting at WCA. If I finish the championship at the arenas, I can then unlock the map as a freeroam area to mess around in.

It doesn't just have to be general -> specific. There could be a GTA-esque thievery path that starts at Industrial, then leads to ECA and/or WCA. Or maybe there's a bird watching mission group that starts at Small Island and goes around the world.

I think the big, general city maps - WCA, ECA and Italy - should have lower requirements (if any) for unlocking than the more branch-specific maps. That way, people can start multiple paths from one map instead of having to grind through maps to get to a specific path they want.

Also, will barn finds be a thing in the full career mode, like Forza Horizon? I think the abandoned maps and Utah would be really cool places to find, say, a rusted Barstow or a wrecked Bolide. (I know I keep referencing Horizon, but that's just about the only "freeform" career mode like this I can think of, and that only has to contend with racing and stunt missions.)

Holy shit, yuuuuss!

And that's it for now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Exactly as Agent Y has mentioned here; the major issue with repairing only parts of a vehicle is made clear when you consider: "Player wants to repair the broken door after a roll over" that sounds simple. But the part the door connects to is all deformed, so IT needs to be repaired. By repairing that, now the other damaged parts: glass, suspension, body work, all need to be repaired as well. So it comes down to being extremely difficult to work around. Think of a real vehicle that has been in an accident, you don't drive into a wall and then say, "I think I will repair just the engine" because unfortunately there is the transmission, and all the suspension, the radiator, and all the supports - it always comes down to, "just fix the whole car or scrap it."

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  16. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Fun Fact: I just learned about the MULTI-QUOTE functionality here! I've ..... never used this before! I've always cut & pasted and wrapped in quotes haha.. what a noob.

I have no major issues personally with races that have AWD, FWD, and RWD vehicles in the same race. They all offer their own pros and cons and the more we can tailor gameplay to an individual's preference, the better imho. However, in cases where you can clearly benefit from an AWD vehicle, then balancing would need to come into effect to make sure players don't grief a system, or be completely obliterated by over powered opponents.

I'm so glad when I read feedback like this, it's honestly something that goes through my mind the entire time I produce gameplay!

Having specialized race segments or events that focus on class-specific vehicles is very much planned. A sort of "Retro Series" or "Super Saloons Series" etc. For now, and since we do not have major -racing-game vehicle counts and instead of couple of these, a couple of those, it would all come down to different configurations of certain cars. This is still a bit away from the current tasks at hand, however it is most certainly planned! Driving a slow car fast is so much more enjoyable for a lot of us than driving a fast car slow, and with our level sizes, there aren't too many areas you can drive a fast car fast! It's the sort of thing I touched on before: If you take a "base mode" vehicle you can still go REAL fast in it, so players are able to traverse WCUSA in no time even in slow vehicles, so the gameplay needs to be built around that as we move forward.

I wrote about "barn find'esque" events in the initial career design docs. With time restraints and the art teams being busy on many other things, it has for now remained in the "would like to have at some point" basket. I am hoping to instead fill this void with rewarded vehicles, earned vehicles and tunes, etc. Something along the lines of, "You have completed a sort of quest, and as a result here is this special version of this vehicle." Not quite a barn-find, but still eventful! More on this in the coming months though ;)

Thanks again for all the interesting feedback and awesome support, it really creates a positive buzz during meetings! =)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

I'm not an expert, and suffice it to say that you guys have been mulling this over for far longer than I have. But if the player is going to be using a provided vehicle for virtually all events, what incentive is there for the player to work to acquire and build better vehicles? Sure, they can use their car after completing the event once, but why would they? In the early game, the provided vehicle will probably be better than their personal car anyway. And in the mid- to late-game, most players would probably rather use their more capable car right from the outset; forcing an even temporary downgrade on the player is bound to rub them wrong.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Heya Occam's Razer, that's a great point to bring up and thanks for asking!

Trust me when I say that we’ve spent a lot of time deliberating this point! In short: The plan is currently to allow a player to select their starter vehicle after a brief tutorial/introduction to career-mode and the game in general. They will do so with some predetermined amount of money and they will use this vehicle to traverse the world and find the sort of gameplay and challenges they enjoy most. Again, challenges provide players with money so that they can purchase new vehicles, upgrade their vehicle(s), and more. While progressing through challenges and earning money they will also be able to enter their vehicles into the various challenges.

So for instance: A player decides to enter a tier-1 drift mission, "RWD Slides!" but this will not be playable with their FWD base Covet that they chose, so we provide an appropriate vehicle(s) for the player to select. (side note, originally I wanted to give the player the opportunity to rent vehicles, pay for time, mileage, insurance, etc.. then came loans, bankruptcy protection and way more, so it was set aside for the time being.) Then after achieving a minimum of one-star (and earning some cash and BeamXP) the player can decide to try the event again; this time with their own personal vehicle! Each mission/challenge/event will include an optional bonus star for, “Try it with your own vehicle!” Think of a race against Roamers, but the player has a Pigeon that they want to try it with - go ahead, have fun, but it would never be fair to expect the player to win an off-road race in their only player-owned slammed-to-the-ground Pigeon!

Think also for example of a delivery mission: "Deliver this heavy machinery across the map." In this case, the player would need to have a $500,000 truck and trailer in order to achieve this, which means they are most likely NEVER going to play this mission. Instead, we provide the player with an appropriate vehicle. This system scales depending on the mission type.

There will be specific gameplay that is open to players using their own vehicle - championships, trials, cups, etc... So the player will need to upgrade their vehicle or buy new ones in order to participate/access this gameplay. As well, while driving around between gameplay, just, "cruising" as it's called (to avoid confusion with free-roam) we are planning for police on the road, other vehicles to race (honk to initiate gameplay like other games) and much more.

Basically: We are providing vehicles to players to make our wide-assortment of gameplay accessible to as many players as possible while still letting them decide which sort of gameplay they most enjoy! Also planned: As players progress through various branches they may be gifted vehicles/upgrades to help them along as well. For example, if a player progresses to tier 3 Motorsports Branch, as a milestone reward they may be awarded a basic drift vehicle as a bonus - or delivery vehicle from the Labourer Branch, or police vehicle from the Specialized Branch etc..

We need to accept that not all players want to build their own vehicle or spend time tinkering with suspension etc, so it's paramount to us that we make sure that the career gameplay is still enjoyable and challenging enough for this type of player as well - that we provide gameplay that is as simple as, “click START to race/climb/chase/deliver/evade/etc." With our current plan players are able to progress throughout the career no-matter their skill set, preferred driving discipline(s), from big-crash fans to hardcore sim-racing fans to role-players! :)

I hope this helps clear up some confusion, helps further explain balancing, and promotes more excitement around just how open-ended and inclusive our career mode is designed to be!

#78 krallopian, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  19. Aquila:)

Aquila:)
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for the very detailed answer, I really do enjoy reading through your texts to get a better insight on the development of career mode:)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

It's an absolute pleasure, I enjoy sharing our ideas and touching on some of our exciting plans; I need to hold back and not give away too much and ruin the surprise, or accidentally suggest some feature(s) that may not make it to the game — and risk misleading folks! :)

• Like Like x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice