1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

Early Experimental Preview of Career Concept

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Juko43

Juko43
    Expand Collapse

loving the career mode so far, one bug i spotted is that after the "highway loop 1" race you can click "continue here" and it spawns you with the scintilla in free roam. I don't think that is intended lol

• Like Like x 2
  2. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Free Scintilla! ..... certainly not intended behaviour, thanks for the report I'll pass this on to the team! For now, enjoy the free supercar! :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Panda100hp

Panda100hp
    Expand Collapse

I'm loving the new improvements and enjoying playing the new missions, however currently i feel that the need for the player to have their own vehicle is purely to drive between missions. Hopefully there will be a way where the player can use their vehicle to 'grind' some cash in time trials or to do deliveries. Other than that it is an absolute blast

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RobloxFan2

RobloxFan2
    Expand Collapse

Will we ever get an option to transfer our car over to freeroam before the next update happens?
    Or any way to convert it to a .pc file?

• Like Like x 1
  5. TdW

TdW
    Expand Collapse

The mission 'Highway Bend' in West Coast USA is not possible anymore, because of the new map expansion and the following rerouting of the highway.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

BeamNG career mode in 3 images
    (i love it)

Attached Files:

• screenshot_2023-09-22_01-31-17.png
    • screenshot_2023-09-22_01-50-21.png
    • screenshot_2023-09-22_01-58-27.png
    • Like Like x 2
  7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Absolutely, it's in the plans, and I totally agree that it currently feels that way! To learn more about the details regarding this, please refer to the previous pages and earlier discussions. :)

This is something we had in mind for later in production, especially once we have better vehicle customization options in place. Your input is appreciated; it confirms that this feature is indeed worth developing!

I noticed the gray fender on the car, and I'm curious to know how you achieved that look. Did you use a modded car, or was it customized within the career mode?

Thank you for spotting this! If the team isn't already aware of it, I'll make sure to inform them, sorry about that!

#207 krallopian, Sep 22, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

it is using a livery from this pack - https://beamng.com/resources/gbc-rat-pack.25093/ :)
    tho i believe i remember hearing that there is some convoluted way to achieve this in vanilla beam? would be very cool to see it appear as a feature either way

9. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Without giving anything away, I was worried that we might have unintentionally left some current unfinished concept damage behavior in place! :D
    Thanks for the explanation :)

• Like Like x 6
  10. JowoHD

JowoHD
    Expand Collapse

damn, maybe i shouldve lied :p
    im looking forward to this concept damage behaviour, whatever it may be :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

:cool::cool::cool:

• Like Like x 5
  12. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I very much like the sound of this
    --- Post updated ---
    I can think of three ways to solve it.

First option, standardize engines so that a given engine (Gavril 5.5L, Soliad 4.4L, whatever) is the same entity in every car it fits, using sub-parts to account for different model years and states of tune. Then it's just a matter of determining which engines should be allowed in which cars. Advantages: solves the problem of allowing (some) junkyard engine swaps without requiring much more effort than engine-swap modders already go through, keeps menus clean if done properly. Disadvantages: Sometimes engines get partially redesigned in ways that break parts interchangeability, so depending on how detailed you want the tuning system to be, it might not actually keep the menus that clean, or might still leave situations where an engine that should be a direct drop-in replacement can't be used because it performs too similarly to the stock one to bother "attaching" it to that car. And how would you go about keeping the engine itself the same so it can be used in another car, but still mandate the use of a vehicle-specific exhaust and/or intake? Have everything downstream of the headers be attached to the car instead of the engine in the file system? If that's done, can said downstream components still affect power and sound?

Second option... tediously hard-code as much engine compatibility as possible. Advantages: leads to the fewest "why can't I use this" situations. Disadvantages: a lot of work, both up front and after updates, so definitely better left until the game is almost ready for a full release. Will clog the menus to death with, again, near-redundant versions of the same engine.

A possible solution to menus filling up with too many engines in either case would be to have different engine dealers just like you have car dealers. One could sell stock-replacement refurbs, another could sell racing crate engines, and so on. Then set it so that if you're buying parts directly from the garage menu rather than a specific merchant, you only see stock replacements (either for your chassis or for your specific config) and compatible crate engines.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Those are fantastic ideas, and I certainly appreciate your input. It's important to recognize that our vehicle team has been exploring numerous options for a quite some time now, and making a switch to a new approach is indeed a substantial undertaking, as you rightly pointed out.

Currently, we're still some ways off from achieving this level of customization. As we continue building more features for Career Mode, it'll be exciting to see how other teams progress in their respective departments and potentially support ideas like yours and others in the future. Thanks for taking the time to think it out, and share! :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Formula24

Formula24
    Expand Collapse

Love to hear to the first part and looking forward to what you guys come up with. One thing Id love to see if cargo missions are going to become a bigger deal is some sort of system to have tie downs/ratchet straps etc to keep cargo down particularly for moving cars

• Like Like x 1
  15. Javascript_

Javascript_
    Expand Collapse

my progress... broke:confused:
    can this somehow be fixed? i attached my savegame in this post:rolleyes:
    when i load in, im like underwater and i cant like do anything (i tried tping in the map); and my freecam wont move:mad:
    upload_2023-9-22_15-29-53.png upload_2023-9-22_15-30-15.png
    by the way, my career tab is empty (it doesnt show my BXP and beambucks, new locations and etc, it was like that even before i left the session)
    upload_2023-9-22_15-33-17.png
    --- Post updated ---
    also, the map loads normally in freeroam

Attached Files:

16. simsimw

simsimw
    Expand Collapse

Career mode is experimental, expect bugs and crashes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mopman93

Mopman93
    Expand Collapse
    BeamNG Team

Try disabling your mods if you have any.

18. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

I am most impressed by your work on career mode, it really feels much more refined now. :) I particularly love that your owned vehicle now remembers damage, fuel level and thermal values even when you return from a challenge. :cool: Much more immersive, thank you ;)

• Love the fuel pump sound and that it takes a moment as well as the different prices (stations and fuel types)
    • All the different "respawn" options are great. (Unflip vehicle, tow to garage, tow to road.. ect)
    • Love the lore of places in the logbook.
    • I was amused when I was teleported back to the tutorial area with a "Please stay in the area ;-)" message.
    • The tutorial - from an experienced player standpoint - feels very good. Short enough not to be annoying but contains all the important information.
    • The height of car dealership interaction marker could be lower. You have to look almost into the sky to access it. I would like to suggest to make it lower (when standing before a dealership building)
    • Your home garage is not teleportable to which is annoying, especially if you got lost without a car far away.
    • It is too easy to get lost on foot without a car. Walking long distances even when sprinting (15 kmh instead of 5) is not fun. This can happen for various reasons:

- Driving to a dealership with your first car, buying a car then driving that car home... only to find out that you need to get to the dealership again to get back your first car. But if you use your second car to get there, you will end up with your second car being there again. You can only do that if you had a trailer capable of towing your second car. Since you cannot drive 2 cars at the same time nor can teleport - directly - to the just newly bought car, you can end up having to walk either to the first car or the second car at the dealership. Yes, I found a way arround that but this is not intuitive and may lead to people walking kilometers to get back to one of their cars.

Suggestion: Allow teleport to home garage. Or to all spawned vehicles you own.
      Suggestion2: Warn players that dont select "take just buyed car directly to storage/garage that they will need a trailer to get their new vehicle otherwise unless they find the - not intuitive - way - they have to walk to the dealership in the worst case to retreive their car.
      Suggestion3: Allow players to buy a trailer that can transport most vehicles

- I could be wrong, but if you total your car = undrivable and are out of funds, you might be forced to walk back home because you cannot drive to the home garage anymore.

- Using a taxi to get to the dealership and then test driving a vehicle is neat... but if you dont buy that vehicle, you just won yourself a kilometer long walk back if you are not careful.

Generally speaking, the game should try to avoid/warn players having to walk several kilometers because that rarely is a fun concept.

• I love that you can use and buy modded vehicles. Modders might wish to have more look at their price tag in the future however:rolleyes:

The vehicle buying screen is very cool but could benefit from some improvements:

• Vehicles should be sorted by price first, little point in scrolling through vehicles that you cannot afford (cheapest vehicle on top, more expensive ones below)
    • All vehicle attributes
      Power
      Mileage
      Transmission
      Fuel Type
      Drivetrain
      Weight
      ABS (as suggested by me)
      ESC (as suggested by me)

should be sortable... so for example you could sort by Fuel Type and then you would first get all Diesel vehicles, then Electric and finally Gasoline. (from top to bottom)

• What about an search field? ;-) Just enter Wigeon to only display our beloved wedge:cool:.

• I am most pleased that modded vehicles and - appearantly - custom configurations? are for sale in the career mode. This is awesome. However, as some modded vehicles can be outdated (and people with lot of mods might not necessarly notice that in other game modes) there should be a display next to the modded vehicle in the "buying a car" window that informs you about that this vehicle is modded/or an custom configuration.
      Why? Because otherwise you might end up like me:rolleyes: that proudly spends a lot of money on his shiny new 600 horsepower vehicle... only to find out that its was an a bit dated modded configuration that doesnt come with halfshafts equipped.... so time for a walk:p because it doesnt move an inch under its own power all that horsepower going to waste.

Because I never used that particular configuration in other games modes, I had no idea and even assumed it was a vanilla vehicle.

So please consider adding a small text "modded" "custom" to the vehicle buying page.

I speak about this and similar menus:

CARBUYING.png

• In time, the newly added and very cool elements of West Coast USA should also be part of career and regular game mode missions.

That is all for now, keep up your great work :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Juko43

Juko43
    Expand Collapse

idk if it is a bug or i just got scammed on the online car site, but i bought a E Vivace and it spawned with zero charge lol

edit: going into garage mode fixed it

• Like Like x 1
  20. ARES IV

ARES IV
    Expand Collapse

Put it in D and push it all the way back to your garage... then it will have regenerated some charge :p

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice