'Dynamically Static' Objects

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Яeverse Bass, May 30, 2015.

1. Яeverse Bass

Яeverse Bass
    Expand Collapse

Since the very first time I loaded up the tech-demo, I'm really mesmerised by the physics. I simply love the way the vehicles react to, well, everything. But there has always been something bugging me, a thing that I feel BeamNG is really lacking: Interaction with the environment.

The world, while having some nice details to it, appears as one huge indestructible entity and the only possible interaction is collision with one-sided damage. Particularly noticeable when colliding with objects that would have been damaged, deformed or moved in real life, like small trees or seemingly loose props.

Now I understand that this game won't have truly destructible environment as that isn't the goal, but I would still like some objects to be converted into dynamic props only when a collision is detected. And after the dynamic prop doesn't move anymore, it becomes static again.

This way, you should be able to build an entire track with tire stacks you can move at basically no performance cost as the game only computes the objects that are in motion. Of course, that would require wind having no impact on those.

Surely this sounds way easier than it is, but I think it would be a great addition to the game if there is a possibility to implement this in a prop-er way (just a pun for fun).

Any dev thinks this would be possible?

2. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

-nvm

#2 Nadeox1, May 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  3. Яeverse Bass

Яeverse Bass
    Expand Collapse

Congratulations, you managed to sum up my post in one single sentence. :cool:Automated physics pause in order to allow for a huge amount of dynamic props at reasonable performance is indeed what I was requesting. I'm glad you're believing it's on the To-Do list and I'm really looking forward to this feature being implemented.Thanks for the incredibly fast response.

4. Hári Dániel

Hári Dániel
    Expand Collapse

I am also waiting for that, like in spintires (you can bend trees, etc) That would be great! This is currently the best physics game I met (and the only I bougth), so if "environment physics sleep" could be managed (hit out road signs, move rocks, etc) this would be the best feel simulator.

5. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

While that's a two year bump, I'll let that pass. This is a very good idea.

Even simpler games like Happy Wheels has pulled off objects being static until interacted with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice