1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Dynamic Steering off - does it wreck your steering?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zalmoxis, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Since I bought the game, I've been getting used to driving more and more so, naturally, my speed increased as well. Back when I just started turning off Dynamic Steering, everything was all good since I was driving fast-ish, but not too fast.

Well, today, I've tried my normal lap around the Dry Rock island on the Covet Rally Car ( without changing anything), and, going on the left route as fast as I could, without going offroad or crashing, I noticed that just around the time I reached the small bridge, the steering became rather unstable and even when I slowed down to my safe speed, going on that downhill I couldn't steer good enough ( and I thought I saw the left wheel going left-right really fast on its own) and I crashed into the trees before I could inspect the car.

My question is: Did something similar happen to anybody while turning off Dynamic Steering?

2. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

I've had steering issues when driving hard sometimes. Did you hit any big bumps or go full lock and flooring it?

3. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Well, you know the terrain on Dry Rock Island ( actually on all maps on BeamNG), it is bumpy at times. But I did floor it for quite a bit during that run, I may have also gone full lock during it.

4. cml1of4

cml1of4
    Expand Collapse

It was either that or just the game being an Alpha. It's actually a lot easier than you think to mess up suspension components when driving on rough surfaces flat out. Could just be the game being super realisitc.

5. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

i have the same every couple minutes nearly.
    i use a xbox 360 gamepad and turned off dynamic steering, but on me it happens on bolide, marshal and covet even on maps like grid map while driving over complete flat terrain.
    it mostly happens when steering very fast to the max steering lock, the axle will snap the moment the wheels hit the lock.
    as slower steering inputs reduces the times it happens i assumed i was steering faster than it would be even possible in real life and just hoped for an improvement later on in the development.

6. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

I never said that I expected a flawless game. I just don't know if the game is supposed to be like this, or if it is a rare bug that I encountered during that drive.

7. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

If you steered a real car from 0 to max lock instantly it would probably snap a tie rod too.

8. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

yes, just what i was trying to say.
    still i would like to see some "improvement" to this in some kind as it makes driving with gamepad rather annoying, while having 25-30 fps max, than helpfull and even while i dont use dynamic steering i should be able to use my gamepad as normal i think.
    i understand that physics is supposed to limit the capabilities of my vehicle and the way i should/can control it without taking damage and i highly support and like that system.
    but in 1/4 of the cases a front axle snaps on like 20 km/h because of a fast steering input of the gamepad. the input of a gamepad is not 100 % controllable at all the time considering the range of a gamepad mini stick, and so oversteering or understeering happens more offten than with a wheel and has to be countered fast or you loose control.
    as it is possibly a question about gamepad input rather than anything wrong with the physics or models i would want to see a kind of dynamic steering just on the very end in front of the lock, maybe the last 5 degree or whatever range is needed to dampen the impact on the lock.
    in real life my arms arent able to rip a tire of the axle by steering fast on 25 km/h and there is nothing like dynamic steering damping in real life as i know (excluding servo steering)? correct me if i just dont know it better please.

9. Zalmoxis

Zalmoxis
    Expand Collapse

Yes but then it's a problem with turning off the Dynamic Steering, isn't it? Dynamic Steering makes it very hard to control the car with keyboard only, and the only way to make a car easier to drive is by turning it off.

So if Dynamic Steering makes the car extremely difficult to control, and turning it off causes the rod to snap, then what are keyboard users supposed to do?

10. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

The dynamic steering is designed to do exactly that - limit the movement to what you could realistically do with a steering wheel. You shouldn't turn it off if you're using keyboard/controller. We are rewriting all the input/steering code right now anyways.

11. NkosiKarbul

NkosiKarbul
    Expand Collapse

nice to know.
    and yes i know the dynamic steering is exactly that but as its vanilla setting was to slow for my personal taste and i did not think about changing its speed ... i wished for one just in front of the lock... which is obviously not needed.^^
    will play around with the dynamic steering settings and see what the future brings :)
    Thank You.

#11 NkosiKarbul, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  12. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

well actually i think the power steering system itself couldn't move wheels fast enough because of the limits of the amount of fluid the power steering pump can move, size of the lines, and the size of the passages in the steering valve. Personally i've been able to turn the wheel on my mom's honda faster than it could turn the wheels (while nearly crashing on snow lol)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice