WIP Dorf M138RS (Automation car re-model)

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by BlackJesus, Oct 4, 2020.

1. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Good day folks BlackJebus here (sorry for the name, was immature as hell when this account was made), I've decided to go outside my comfort zone and attempt (with limited knowledge) on re-modelling and detailing an automation car.

I first started off with the wonderful automation game and designed a pretty crappy looking car and exported it over to beamng.

M138RSautomationexport.png

I began learning the basics of how the Jbeam files are structed and started to add on different features to the car.
    Updated wheels to use beamng wheels slot. Made the handling a bit trippy at first but sorted with a few adjustments on the suspension settings.
    Converted over the electronic systems from the vivace over to the car which includes the differential control and adjustable suspension settings with volume control on the exhaust silencing.
    Added a few items to the engine and played around with the engine performance while also adding in beamng engine and exhaust sounds to replace the somewhat alright exported sound automation gives you. Gave it some subtle crackles on lift off as well as hey, who doesn't like the sound of dinosaur juice exploding.

Once this was all done I started to get bored of how the model looked. This is where I came out of my comfort zone, loaded up blender and started to learn over the last couple of months how to do my own model.

The result so far is what sits below.
    M138RSfront.png M138RSrear.png

I'm by no means an expert on any of this and hope to learn a lot through my venture to eventually model from scratch my own designs for beamng.

I've still got to learn how to model a lot more smoothly as there are some strange low and high spots on the lighting of the car.
    Learn how to do textures UV mapping and baking.
    Learn how to create my own Jbeam file when it comes to the structure of the car to have more realistic behaviors in crashes.

I've not found many useful tutorials out there so naturally have tried learning by pulling apart the official cars files and learn how some of the things work.

Any experts out there that look over this page and have any advice or can point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

I hope to add more updates on the progress of the car it self. But for a laugh, I exported the previous version of the model into Beam just to see how off it currently looks in game.

M138RSderp.png
    Yup.

Now if the thread looks broken, apologies, but I got lazy when it comes to the images.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Afternoon everyone,

Still currently trying to learn how to do texturing so the car doesn't come up weird looking in game.
    Did get a little bored and decided to model a bumper for it that has split some opinions in the car community on design.
    So here's an update on the model.
    bumperdesignupdate.png

3. jxn5k

jxn5k
    Expand Collapse

something like a rs3 looks amazing

4. SuperShep1

SuperShep1
    Expand Collapse

looks great man

5. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the comments I appreciate it.
    Carried on with the work flow on the design side of things, still a lot to polish up on the model with some bizzare creases.

DesignUpdate1.png DesignUpdate.png

Fixed the strange appearance when it comes to the colour but have yet to figure out texturing. Hopefully will come with time.
    Played around with engine performance.
    For now it has a 2.3L Turbo 4 cylinder engine producing 299HP and 326ftlb of torque.
    Configuring the engine to have a Super-Turbo setup as well, just to match up with the new bumpers being modeled as per above.

6. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Is it going to have an interior as well?

7. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Yes there will be interior for the car in due time. I'm still learning as I go along making this.
    Still gotta practice using blender as well, only properly started using it last month so used the automation car I have as a sort of starting point remodelling until beyond recognition.

Hopefully will also document the process in this thread for anyone else who's new to modding on here

8. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

Looks really great!

DXNiT-2WsAEzZ37.jpg

#8 DaddelZeit, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Been a while since I last did an update, been busy with work but thanks to the UK lockdown 2 got some time on my hands.
    Gone through the process of trying to improve modelling quality practicing with modelling a few real cars first before I came back to this as it kept driving me mad.

M138RSRearUpdate.png
    Currently mulling over the idea of changing the brand name to ETK as a modern sports hatch from the brand considering it's now pretty much a BMW.
    Any opinions on the design ethic so far for the sports model would be greatly appreciated (still yet to learn texturing cause I'm lazy and want to get modelling down 100%)

10. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

looks nice. What would be the bmw equivalent?

11. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Thank you, weirdly enough styling based off an M8 merged in the new m135i bumper shape with a megane RS enfused diffuser.

12. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Minor update on the modeling side of things.
    SUV body is nearly complete and I've now finally started getting to grips with UV unwrapping and baking. So hopefully will have fully textured models soon enough.
    There is also going to be a saloon body model with possibly a fastback variant. Whole idea is to basically have a fully functional fleet designed.

138SUV.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. FordKing

FordKing
    Expand Collapse

awesome

14. ParadoxShiba

ParadoxShiba
    Expand Collapse

This looks pretty nice ngl.

15. BlackJesus

BlackJesus
    Expand Collapse

Thanks I appreciate it.

This is probably the most pointless and smallest update available, work found a loophole to stay open during the second national lockdown in the UK so ended up having a couple of days off and have worked through pretty much the whole thing.
    Enough rambling though about that, I've been working on slowly getting over my hatred to model lights and am near enough done with the design of the rear lights. Put in basic texturing to see what it would actually look like in game.
    I've also decided to finally get off my backside and start learning how to properly work with jbeam files so currently working on making from scratch a new suspension jbeam to hopefully not have the weird handling characteristics automation cars tend to get.

138SUVLightDesign.png

There wont be an update for a while until I actually have something worth while updating.
    Hopefully it will be both variants with complete jbeams and basic texturing done in the future (still too lazy to learn how to properly texture)

Something feels like it's missing design wise on the trunk.
    Anyone got an input as to what I should do with the large flat plane surface as I'm at a creative block on that section at the moment :D

M138SUVRear.png

#15 BlackJesus, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice