1. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Development Screens (Each post contains a picture OR contributing post)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LT. Smell My, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

modding is fun they said

• Like Like x 11
    • Informative Informative x 4
  2. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

Sorry I havent shown any progress but I dont have any motivation to do anything recently
    screenshot_2019-11-22_21-53-08.png

• Like Like x 30
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think that I have managed to make this look somewhat like real thing, need to round windows bit more etc. However those sides are not flat in real thing and I don't know how to make it to have such shape, tessellation might not be a thing, normal maps I don't understand, I guess modeling that profile of aluminum is not an option.
    upload_2019-11-30_10-17-50.png upload_2019-11-30_10-24-15.png
    Those rear lights might be good steal from the Hopper.

• Like Like x 15
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Atlas

Atlas
    Expand Collapse

MeMeS
    Cybertruck3.png Cybertruck4.png Cybertruck5.png

• Like Like x 53
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

You mean those ribbons ? My first thought would be to create extra horizontal edges , then only select edges you
    want to have more to the inside of the body, then 'GX' on the keyboard ( 'grab along x-axis ) and type positive or
    negative number ( depending which side of body ) for moving the coordinates. Mostly a small number like 0.3 or 0.03
    for example, just find the right distance you like and apply same number to all edges in question. Finally going back
    to face select and perhaps it's possible to apply smooth property on faces in question to round them off a bit ? idk
    just a first thought, if you got that far the solution might be right there anyways :)

6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Too much tiny polys make spikes, can't model those details.

Walls are like this when viewed from end, horizontal lines are from that, if I model that detail then it is spiky mess that will perform poorly.
    (
    (
    (
    (
    (

It must be done by texturing I'm afraid and that is so unknown waters to me.

What I have figured out is that I probably would need to make a model of all the detail and render that to Normal map in some way, so sadly it might be boring flat walls for now as I have only two days or so for this sideproject, getting (simple) jbeam done and all features will take probably more time than that.

7. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

Oh, I wasn't aware of that at all (spikes coming from tiny polys), interesting..

Overall, ribbons or flat, it still looks nice you know :)

8. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is more to do with number of Tris compared to number of nodes, but essentially making small Tris causes ratio to be offset so that you would need way too many nodes to have good non spiky deformation.
    Those walls are really light so adding lot of nodes brings weight stability strength issues as per node weight gets smaller than engine is designed to run.

Well, at least that is how I understand it, besides I'm lazy with short attention span and creating thousand nodes is not a thing that I would do :p

What I would like to do is create texturing of this kind of style:
    upload_2019-11-30_22-2-47.png
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/690830/Foundation/

Problem is that I have no slightest idea about making textures and even less about different art styles and how to achieve then, but I try to learn something, probably can't achieve enough high level for thing to be publish worthy, but maybe I find some tutorial or maybe Humble Bundle will have game model textures for idiots book bundle at some point.

I learned a lot with bundle that had Blender tutorial, it was Unity learning bundle, but lot of stuff does translate between engines. Blender course in it was really good, worked well for me at least, it was more of practical knowledge than modeling by strict rules and that really helps me to get shape out of cube, plane or edge.

For my rock making, I could not find references that I would of been happy with, so I had to take some photos, taking pic from top proved to be rather difficult so it is off center and blurry, but I'm going to try if I can get shape of this one replicated, might be too difficult though, but hey at least I got better references from rock than there is at the internet, except now of course:
    upload_2019-11-30_22-30-0.png
    Use (anyone) freely if you find any use for that, I just made that so that I can put it on 2nd monitor for rough guide.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Nekkit

Nekkit
    Expand Collapse

PicsArt_11-30-103214.png

• Like Like x 31
  10. marijn123@lol

marijn123@lol
    Expand Collapse

11. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

What did they do? I don't see anything wrong with it o_O

13. Kueso

Kueso
    Expand Collapse

why
    so
    many
    polys?!

--- Post updated ---
    just look at it
    especially that front quarter winow
    its practically black at it's base

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Adds Subdivision Surface, cranks it to max:
    upload_2019-12-1_0-20-14.png

That is bit more than necessary, but might be for artistic purposes of course.

Edit: Hmm, now I'm thinking what it would do to if I export this cube to Beam, then use jbeam exporter to make all needed beams for this cube and try to load jbeamed 49 152 Tri and node cube to bed of D15?

Too scared to try, might melt whole PC o_O

#22594 fufsgfen, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nekkit

Nekkit
    Expand Collapse

Try with a thousand maybe

16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I think it is no good, see what Thomatoes50 wrote here:
    "max two faces per jbeam quad (you can have more if it's a rounded corner)
    3 or 4 will have random spike effect or will not attach to the correct node"
    https://beamng.com/threads/focus-mk2-2004-2008.59298/page-14#post-998598

Two faces is 6 or 8 vertices and jbeam quad is 4 nodes, afaik. So to get proper jbeam for such cube, I would need quite many nodes.

Edit: oh, wait, my math is super, but I try to get this straight.

So 6 vertices and 2 Faces:
    upload_2019-12-1_0-50-47.png

Or 7 vertices and 2 faces:
    upload_2019-12-1_0-51-38.png

However, game uses Tris, not Quads, so...

4 Vertices and 2 faces:
    upload_2019-12-1_0-53-13.png

5 Vertices and 2 faces:
    upload_2019-12-1_0-54-8.png

So there is no 8, but if there is 2 game faces to 1 jbeam quad, then there should be enough many quads in Blender as there is jbeam quads, try to figure out, too complicated for me :D

#22596 fufsgfen, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

Screenshot242.png
    Screenshot243.png
    just updated blender and i hate it lol. it does look sleek though.
    things i miss:
    layers
    ctrl+alt+shift+c
    layers
    a for select all and deselect all (now you have to double tap for deselect all)
    layers

i love the evee render engine though!!!

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

I guess other bits than layers might be solvable with customization, but seriously they got rid of layers, where you throw originals and export ready bits then? How to manage different part sets which are so handy to throw to different layer and then if needed select several layers to show parts from different selections?

I have no Blender installed actually, I'm using optimized custom build that came in .zip file, also 2.8 I downloaded .zip file that I just extracted and run 2.8 Blender from folder.

Funny thing, I have 2.8 in that folder, but I don't really ever start it, so much to learn with earlier version too, but at some point I think I will try to learn it, but might take a while.

My pet dislike for any new is more mouse movement and more clicks / things hidden from sight.

19. georgy 1991

georgy 1991
    Expand Collapse

Tatra vibes

• Like Like x 1
  20. SebastianJDM

SebastianJDM
    Expand Collapse

now separated into "collections", which works in a similar way but is a lot less quick (you must individually hide each collection, rather than browsing between layers.) at least you can name them though, which is interesting. another thing is each time you toggle invisible/visible for a collection, everything that was hid becomes un-hid, which sucks a bit too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice