1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

D series has a massive steering pull. (solved)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by AllTerrainOutlaw, Jun 8, 2017.

1. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

okay before you guys say anything, no it is not torque steer. I tested that with the independent front suspension.

So, i had tried to build an off-road rig with the live axle suspension with off road parts. and it always seemed to have massive pull even with the steering center set to 0 and toe set to 0. However if i make the center counteracting the pull it still pulls to the left. After extensive experimenting i found that the issue comes from a bad alignment with the front driver side wheel. as seen in the pic below.
    20170607215832_1.jpg

As u notice the driver side front wheel toe is slightly turned out as the passenger side is straight.

2. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Mess around with steering center as the default D series with a solid axle has something set to around -32. Or it's just a bug and i'm looking like a complete fool.

3. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Because of the drag link steering design coupled with leaf springs, when the ride height changes, the axle moves straight up and down but the angle of the drag link changes, forcing the steering to the side. You have to tune the steering center for a given ride height. Adjusting steering center is like adjusting the drag link, toe is adjusting the tie rod. Set the toe until both wheels have equal toe readout in the real time alignment data (like 0.3 one side, -0.3 other side) then adjust steering center until the truck cruises straight.

In reality, if you lift this type of truck without adjusting the drag link, the steering wheel would want to sit off center, but in game, a gamepad or kbd control forces the steering wheel to be centered. With a FFB wheel however, everything reacts exactly as it should.

Pitman-Knuckle-Draglink.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. firestarspelt

firestarspelt
    Expand Collapse

could you add rack and pinion

5. rocksim

rocksim
    Expand Collapse

Happens to me all the time.

6. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

You are ingenious! No more tuning the dumb steering center like that with rack and pinion.

7. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

so i tuned the truck so that i do not notice a pull. im assuming that the initial start off steering pull is torque steer?

8. AllTerrainOutlaw

AllTerrainOutlaw
    Expand Collapse

@Goosah so is it normal for the drag link to snap when i floor it then brake. 4wd is engaged.

9. Car8john

Car8john
    Expand Collapse

It is?
    Huh
    Odd

10. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

No oem pickup truck would ever have such an arrangement, because when the axle flexes, it will try to turn the rack around the pinion gear, causing bump steer. It would probably have even worse behavior!

I could cheat and put the steering hydro on the axle itself, but I'm not going to. It's not realistic. I'd rather the game simulate every vehicle's strengths and weaknesses. In the end, it's more interesting and educational. No other vehicle sim on the market, to my knowledge, approaches the level of detail needed to show these weaknesses in real vehicles, we do and we're proud of it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. firestarspelt

firestarspelt
    Expand Collapse

well there is aftermarket hydraulic steering

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice