CVT with preselected ratios and simulated gearshifts on "S" mode

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by McBeamer94, Apr 28, 2022.

1. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

I just played with the Sunburst 1.8 Base with the CVT transmission and I noticed that the only difference the "S" mode (shown as the "L" mode on the gauge cluster) of the CVT makes is that it keeps the revs a bit higher while rolling on Cruise Control (and that it shows the "2/1" gear indication on the Engine Debug UI App, instead of the "1/1" the "D" shows).
    Of course, the Sunburst is quite an old model, with a simple CVT, so this isn't a problem. There are some newer CVTs, though, that offer the choice of simulating automatic gear changes by featuring a number of preselected ratios (usually 6 or 7) on "S" mode. If a new car which can take advantage of this technology gets added in BeamNG (especially a more modern one than the Sunburst), I believe this would be an interesting concept to be further tested and developed! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

i agree, though when cars use the "fake shifting" they end up accelerating slower than with the CVT winding out constantly, so it doesn't really make sense to have it as the "sport" mode.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

I actually didn't know they're slower in "S" but I assume that the differences in acceleration times aren't that big between "D" and "S", so it's mostly the feel the fake shifting of the "S" gives to the driver because, unlike "D", the "S" allows the engine to reach/get in/bounce off the rev limiter. Preselected ratios are a very interesting take on the CVT and I want to see such a gearbox in the game.
    Plus, in general, the CVT is also a good starting point for the Dev Team to begin developing hybrid technology. I know they haven't found the suitable algorithms yet but, weirdly enough, my curiosity is driving my ambition on this subject too. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. default0.0player

default0.0player
    Expand Collapse

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. McBeamer94

McBeamer94
    Expand Collapse

Wow, didn't know someone actually made a mod like this, mainly because I'm no fan of CVTs - but I had an epiphany yesterday! ;)

#5 McBeamer94, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice