Solved Collada exporter and Blender group instances

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by fufsgfen, Nov 21, 2019.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Groups in Blender are really handy when you use them so that you put several objects to group, then add group instance to scene like so:
    upload_2019-11-21_19-29-0.png

That works like making prefabs and adding them, for example if I need to make some change to passenger gondola, I just make that change to original which is at layer #4 and all gondolas get updated, also positioning etc. is easy when using group instances.

Problem is that to my surprise Collada exporter seems not to play nicely with group instances, it seems to export only source object when I select it, but none of group instance will get exporter even I select them, or at least they don't appear into BeamNG.

I really really don't want to make 16 copies of several objects as it gets really time consuming to place everything after each edit etc.

Did test all export options, export children, export armature etc. none seem to help.

I guess one solution could be to take copy of all and put to some additional export layer like layer #6 for example, but I'm not sure if shift-D actually makes copy of object or does it just copy group instance and problem would be same. *UPDATE* Ok, that really does not work as it just copies instance, not creating object from the group instance.

I guess someone has experienced same problem before and have some handy trick to share?
    --- Post updated ---
    Oh, I'm such stupid, that was easy :p

Ctrl+Shift+A
    https://blender.stackexchange.com/q...-turn-a-linked-group-into-independent-objects

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice