1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

    Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.39 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

Clipping problems causing loss of realism (and loss of fun)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by golgo1387, Oct 7, 2023.

  1. golgo1387

    golgo1387
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2023
    Messages:
    129
    I posted elsewhere about this problem. So I did a test and snapped a picture of the results.

    I ran into a street light pole and the bumper guard of the car clipped right through the light pole, receiving no damage but damaging my car and getting it stuck on the light pole.

    This happens when hitting other cars too, and it negates the reason for having any armor for demolition derby play.

    The only way out of getting fused with another object/car is to 'recover', which is like cheating and ruins the fun of demolition derby.
     

    Attached Files:

    • Screenshot2023-10-07073627.jpg
  2. CrashHard

    CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,632
    Yes they really have to add some more *cheat* nodes to fix this. (on the cars and the props) Some of the updated props are a bit better at avoiding this.
     
  3. golgo1387

    golgo1387
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2023
    Messages:
    129
    It's not just props though. It's everything. I'll attach another pic. Notice how the front bumper that's supposed to protect the front of the car barely looks damaged and yet it phased/clipped right into the door of the other car and got fused/stuck to it. It was a low speed impact too. The only way out of it besides using a 'recover' is to have a super powerful car to yank away from the other car...and even that doesn't work most of the time.

    Both of the cars in the picture are the vanilla cars supplied by BeamNG. No mods or monkey business. Nothing up my sleeve.

    Also, it seems like there's some kind of hit point system in the code behind where if the front bumper(s) takes so many hits then regardless of what it looks like it becomes useless in terms of protection and it's like it's not even there. Even if it looks fine and functional.

    It doesn't vibe with the "what you see is what you get" impression that I got from beams/nodes and the physics model behind .drive.
     

    Attached Files:

    • Screenshot2023-10-07100132.jpg
  4. CrashHard

    CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2013
    Messages:
    1,632
    I know, I know, it can be frustrating. Have you seen how it all work under the *hood* (the tech behind the game?)

    you have the model of the car (no collisions)
    And you have the nodes and triangles that is doing all the collision stuff.
    nodes_col_triangles.jpg nodes_col_triangles2.jpg
    The nodes can only collide with other nodes and collision triangles. if there are no nodes in an area the models will clip into each other.
    The nodes is the only thing colliding with the terrain or level/map models.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. golgo1387

    golgo1387
    Expand Collapse

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2023
    Messages:
    129
    Ahh...no I didn't know about that. Thanks for showing me. I thought it was all beams. I thought like you can bend a beam or you can break it when they hit each other, but you can't fuse beam with beam unless it's like a 500mph impact. And I thought the nodes were just holding the beams together.

    I know irl that cars can get stuck to other cars, but usually it's a huge impact where one car has nowhere else to go. If there is room around each vehicle, usually the mass after impact will move away from the area of impact and if there was any bumpers or bodywork stuck the mass will pull it off and take it with it.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice