WIP Citroen C4 Picasso

Discussion in 'Community Mods - Archived' started by slysenko, Sep 2, 2013.

1. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Just another illustration of how great BeamNG simulates rigid bodies :) . Nothing special was done there - I just dropped the front part of my rig into back of pickup and that's it. Handling of pickup changed very believably - it became harder to turn, etc.
    As for my model, jbeam for carcase done, next step is to model front suspension and add jbeam for it.

#41 slysenko, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
  2. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Couldn't watch the video because it's set to private, but judging by the thumbnail, it looks way too big. Are you using real dimensions? BeamNG uses meters.

3. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Argh, video was private by default. As for size - this car is 4.5 meters long actually. I guess it looks longer because it's on a side of picture with big FOV and 21:9 screen ratio. Let me do some properly aligned comparison.

Attached Files:

• screenshot_00038.jpg
    #43 slysenko, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

It looks way too big in that video (I watched the whole thing) but it looks fine in this picture. Strange. Are your wheelbase and other dimensions correct? The wheelbase should be 2.73 meters and the overall car should be 4.47 meters long.

5. KennyWah

KennyWah
    Expand Collapse

I'm Candaian and I have no local made cars to praise at all..... /= other then american muscle, wooo. that can be found in North America and Alstrailia so nothing special, also in the rest or the world (just not made there).

6. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, but that's really only the distortion of picture due to wide 21:9 screen. So these parts of image on left/right sides of screen become sctreched a little. Actually it might be worth tuning a little, but 21:9 resolution displays kinda not so widespread and it actually doesn't bother me. I'd say more - many good games aren't optimized for this screen ratio at all, so I have to fallback down to 1920:1080 to, let's say - get all HUD elements available. All in all, BeamNG handles 2560x1080 well, unless these distortions counts as a problem.

#46 slysenko, Oct 1, 2013
  7. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

First ride ever ;)

Can't figure out how to make tie rods stiffer - Fullsize has 21mln Spring, and there is 7mln, and setting anything higher leads to implosion.

#47 slysenko, Oct 2, 2013
  8. Zappymouse

Zappymouse
    Expand Collapse

Just add a bad tempered driver and you have a perfect reproduction of every taxi ride in Paris, ever.

You're doing a great job here. Your n/b is looking awesome, but I can't help you with your tierod problem. :(

9. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Well, for one thing, I think the real car has MacPherson struts, which aren't really possible yet, so that could be part of why the front suspension is wobbly. Also, you may be missing some beams that rigidify/locate the wheel's camber.

10. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

It's been quite a long time since you first mentioned the limitations of building cars because of this slide node thing. Has there been any progress getting them working?

11. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Yeah ... I tried to implement a [bad] idea of not just using a joints but silumating an actual bushings in suspention arms instead. (So it's not a one shared node but a node of one component and set of nodes placed around this node in other component). I suspect that this is just an unnoticeable overhead but I really wanted to try to get it working. But did it too roughly. Now it goes much better after doubling number of nodes used for a simulation of "soft" part of bushings.

As for MacPherson, I saw that there is no special beam type for it yet, but I'm going to try to assemble a strut from a set of nodes/beams. Did not think about exact design yet, but I think it's doable.

Also for now I have an open question related to height of spawns. I'd really like to go into direction of "as real as possible" simulation, however if a real car got dropped from such considerable height as in test maps, it won't work so well aferwards :) So I'm looking for a way to have respawns as low as possible. Or should I tweak a car to get it less real but more playable?

12. moosedks

moosedks
    Expand Collapse

I don't think I quite understood your question right, but since this is a simulator you should probably try to make it as real as you can. It's still your choice of course.

13. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

We are aware of the spawn height problem, and will work on a solution so cars are not dropped from too high or spawn underground (both cases happen)

14. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

Made some draft sketch of the engine and transmission.

Attached Files:

• 2013-10-08_225846.png
    • 2013-10-08_230742.png
  15. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

I have a rediculous idea to create set of small components where it is expected to have one solid one.

Firtsly it seems that it will be easier to tune/maintain many small jbeam meshes instead several big ones.

Secondly it will be interesting to, for example, remove central pillar and try to drive like that (and have rear doors fallen off, and front doors not fixed in closed position, if not removed also). Or detach roof/ceiling and see how car become less rigid after that. Or...

What do you think about that?

Attached Files:

• Untitled.png
  16. aljowen

aljowen
    Expand Collapse

You're insane, but i like it :)

17. NinjaFinch

NinjaFinch
    Expand Collapse

So long as you can pull it off without degrading performance, that sounds like the best idea ever. ;)

18. Sir Weenie

Sir Weenie
    Expand Collapse

19. slysenko

slysenko
    Expand Collapse

So it's kinda worked. However, once again it's all about complete recreating of jbeam files for almost all parts. But I like that now there are no "virtual" beams inside car's interior. (Well. Let's see how it will work when all parts will be recombined together)

Attached Files:

#59 slysenko, Oct 21, 2013
  20. Sir Weenie

Sir Weenie
    Expand Collapse

No taste in good cars, mate. Its not about where I comes from, but lets be honest this car has character! :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice