Cell Phone Etiquette (In Public)

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Kasir, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

I just want to know if anyone else finds the following things annoying:
    -People having phone conversations on speaker in public and then proceeding to put their lips right up against the phone
    -People facetiming in public
    -People taking selfies when you're in the background and they know it
    -People watching videos/shows at full volume in public
    -Parents giving their little kids their phones and not even trying to turn the volume down
    -People not having the other end on speaker but talking loud enough for everyone to hear their conversation
    -People recording fights and things that just shouldn't be recorded and put on the internet (especially when license plates and faces are clear and in frame)
    -People "forgetting" to put phones on silent during presentations, movies, or any place where they should be on silent
    -People taking pictures of their restaurant food (Reddit doesn't agree apparently, seeing I got 5 downvotes for saying I hate people who do that. Also, let me clarify that I'm 110% on board if it's their own cooked food or there's something wrong with said restaurant food)

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Valhallatchaboy

Valhallatchaboy
    Expand Collapse

YES X120000000
    I get smartphones are as common as wallets or purses but people today(especially these kids) need to learn how to use phones. Id say ditto on all of these but ill add my own stuff to some.

1. People who take your picture without your consent. I like to wear eclectic clothing and every so often i see some dullard with their phone out aimed straight at me. It should be illegal, but laws on that suck. I get its a public place and people are free to do whatever in accordance with laws, but cmon. Thats like saying that creepy guy can take videos of youre kid...or take videos of a lady breastfeeding in public.

2. People who use their smartphone on the road. Its illegal, but cops dont crack down on it hard enough. In fact, ive seen on duty cops use their smartphone while driving. They have police radios and computers fitted in their cruisers 10/10 times. No reason the cops should be able to get away with that.

3.If you get a phone call or text dont answer it when talking to someone. Obvious exceptions aside, its just rude and makes you look like a tool.

4. Dont ask to use someone elses phone unless you know them. Ive had people come up to me out of the blue asking to use my phone. First off, you dont know where that phones been....ive been to a party or two and let me tell you: peer pressure and alcohol makes people do weird gross things. Secondly, i dont wanna stumble on an explicit text conversation nor do you (dont ask, but yes its happened to me).

5. Dont talk crap about someone elses phone. Maybe they dont wanna upgrade to the newest phone everytime one is announced....maybe they dont have the funds. Either way, bragging about how better your smartphone is makes you seem like the worlds biggest tool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Also, I want to add this:

I'm all for listening to your music, but do NOT go into public with a giant Bluetooth speaker blasting said music at full volume. I listen to my music through headphones, and sometimes I put my phone in my book-bag pocket at a volume loud enough to only be heard by me or anyone super close to me.

If you don't know the Bluetooth speakers I'm talking about, it's these:

I probably sound like a boomer, (trust me, I'm not, I'm just a teenager with the mindset of an older person) but these aren't acceptable to walk around with. Use these for parties or when you're in a park with some friends, not when you're taking the bus. Don't be a showoff. Most of the people I've seen with these have sh*t tastes in music, and they just continue blasting their Dubstep or Death Metal.

I know this isn't necessarily phone related, but still. Also if you enjoy Dubstep and Death Metal, no discrimination.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

One thing I fucking despise as a cell phone user is a few times where a person I have no connections with calls me TWICE instead of once (which is still annoying to oblivion, but I could probably just imagine it was like a error in typing another number). It's already enough I have to be bombarded by random callers during class (good thing I basically have them close to mute so I only feel vibrations, but it's distracting as hell), and pretty much anywhere else pre-evening/morning, but calling me fucking twice when you should probably get the right number by that time is extremely idiotic in my opinion and is also not doing any good.

TL;DR, random phone calls are annoying, but double calls are more irritating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Couldn't have said it better.

6. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

My dad even gets it worse from me, and sometimes he has to tell them to flip off before hanging up because of how persistent and annoying they are to him (automated ones are even worse).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kasir

Kasir
    Expand Collapse

Ugh. Automated calls are the worst. I inherited a number from someone else and I get constant calls from either their friends or car insurance companies (Yes, companies plural). If I keep hanging up, you'd think they'd take it as "This person doesn't have this number anymore", but nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Copunit12

Copunit12
    Expand Collapse

Always say this call will be recorded. They will disappear real quick.

First comment OT: Most of the things you mentioned I agree with. Since I don't live in a city I don't really have these problems so I just view it as funny and how easy it is to prank them (no physical damage).
    Now regarding your last point, my problem with that is when they use flash and or don't post where they got the food. What's the point of taking a picture of what you think is good food without giving credit (free advertisement).

Now this:
    Can I get a 80's boom box and turn it up to 11 and we still cool homie?
    (riped from internet)

• Like Like x 1
  9. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

This. I don't mind when people take pictures of their food at all anyways, so I never had a problem with that (atleast in the shoes of the individual).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice