On Hold Castle Run

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by krallopian, Jan 29, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Ahhh not a fan of that idea, I actually haven't tried it yet though, kinda against it! =D

I want to layout where they go from the editor, not just say "here follow me" as it's not the same really, and really depends on my ability to drive the course haha!

The devs have mentioned, one in particular something along the lines of, "Eugh AI was just thrown together, I really need to work on it, and it's my primary focus" or something. That's both exciting and scary! What if everything I love about is taken away!?

• Like Like x 1
  2. DutchyGamer

DutchyGamer
    Expand Collapse

Yeah understandable aha!

• Like Like x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It's okay, you will find a new love, much better AI and after week you don't even remember the old one :D

Devs are very good at what they are doing, so when they have time so that they get around to update AI, that is very likely to be awesome.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I'm thinking I'm going to need to redo the finish line, seeing as the AI makes it much further now =D

Attached Files:

• finishLarger.jpg
    • Like Like x 7
  5. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

A little further with AI performance today!

I did a lot of work on road side extensions, making paved run offs so that ai avoids clipping their wheels and ruining the rest of their run. They still crash in to them on occasion which is really what we all want afterall, but they will only do that when set to a high risk factor, which is perfect imho. I started work on a proper entrance/exit gate custom for this level. Everything was planned out before I was making my own assets, so things were limited to what I had available, that can all change now and WILL! Lots of texture work around the world, more sound work, and the majority of the day was spent doing video recording testing. All in all, a shorter day than usual (5pm to 4am ish.)

Tomorrow will mostly

• Like Like x 7
  6. Projekt535

Projekt535
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I've missed so much this week! It's really coming along and especially excited to race against some challenging AI on what looks to be a very technical course. The level of detail is fantastic too and I'm excited to see more of it! Keep it up!

• Like Like x 2
  7. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Something I've been toying with for a few weeks now, I've decided to pull the trigger and make this the official start concept.

Garage doors will open, cars will turn on, 3..2..1.. GO!

I'm both excited and anxious to get to work on the concept/models/textures. SO far the animation tests have worked great, made a quick garage door animate opening, lights/shadows are looking great for effect, sonic reverb etc..

The picture shows just some placeholder concept but it's what I'm diving into today.
    --- Post updated ---
    Another shot added. I ripped some of the items out of the garage, oil catch, floor lights, dolly, tool chest, etc.. I'm trying to SAVE time not add work :D I'm pretty certain there's no issue doing this, but if there is hopefully a moderator would let me know. Figure it's the same as using . . trees, or any other asset already in the game.

Attached Files:

• sneakPeak.jpg
    • sneakPeak2.jpg
    • Like Like x 8
  8. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Mate stop making all this cool stuff, at this rate you're gonna start overtaking the devs' maps in terms of details and interactivity. ;)

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hah, as much as I appreciate that, I can't help but feel sheepish! The dev-developed maps are top quality in so many ways, their assets are gorgeous AND efficient, I've started giving up on efficiency, "Ahh 240 polys? Screw it 800 will do and look better.. who needs LODS!" where they simply CANNOT do that as a retail game developer. As well, I'm just using the tools THEY created! AND in most cases, their assets hahah. But I really appreciate your words of enthusiasm, as I mentioned before it's the sort of thing that drives me, the whole, "Make other people say wow" bit. Quite a bunch of development on this garage deal since the update an hour ago, but still soo soo much more to do.

FWIW I *DO* care about efficiency, I'm just not bottlenecked the way game devs are because well I'm not trying to sell this to anyone hah!

• Like Like x 2
  10. 1UZ-FE

1UZ-FE
    Expand Collapse

this map looks insane brother! really love the tunnels as well. very immersive

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Thanks man! Ha 1UZ-FE ftw! Had lots of fun throwing one around that was wrapped in an Aristo! *Cheers

12. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Having SO MUCH TROUBLE animating this damn garage door. Animated just fine in Maya, but between crashing every second export, the game insists on FLIPPING the thing as it gets to the top, so a big'ol glitch happens in the animation. Garage door's working.. working'' WONKY FREAKIN' OUT.. working.. working.

Almost 2 hours with this, I'm losing my mind!! =D
    --- Post updated ---
    That's it. It's going to be a ROLL UP garage door, no more dealing with this nonsense every 4 seconds:

upload_2019-2-19_1-39-52.png
    --- Post updated ---
    I'm going to call it a night on this for now, too many changes have been made due to things not working correctly, so I'm going to, "sleep on it" and get back at it tomorrow. For now, here's a couple shots of the actual starting paddock. Cars don't usually race out of their pit box/room/paddock but this is the Castle Run afterall! . . . yeah.

For now the doors are animated and working well as "roll up" doors, just not the effect I wanted. Between the game and maya being extremely temperamental I had to give in. Lots of work to do still, but the overall idea is coming together now. Next up, textures, lighting, and a "viewing" deck above the gates.

Also, here's the AI after making the entire map without ONCE touching each other... then that last second sneak attack! Ignore the broken textures, just the usual "HAA HAA GOTCHA AGAIN KRALL!!" crap the editor does to me ever day.

Attached Files:

• 0069.jpg
    • 0068.jpg
    • 0070.jpg
    • 0071.jpg
    • 0072.jpg
    • Like Like x 7
  13. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Looks incredible mate! You continue to surprise and impress me with every progress update! :D

I wonder if Nadeox1 could help you with the doors? He uses roller doors in his Sandy Mountain Map... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Thanks a lot man, as for the doors - that's what I already have working. Just go up, and down. Boring! I wanted them to articulate like an actual garage door. I got three pieces working (of seven) and then the next ones just kept messing up, had their axis inverted, maya crashing, etc.. I said to hell with it =D

• Like Like x 1
  15. CN877

CN877
    Expand Collapse

Mate you always go above and beyond when it comes to attention to detail and quality :rolleyes:

Hopefully you are able to get it working eventually. Best of luck :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Danny Werewolf

Danny Werewolf
    Expand Collapse

Not sure if I should be hyped or not. All this hype Is gonna overflow to years later because I probably already can’t run This XD

• Like Like x 1
  17. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Hahah! @Danny Werewolf my FPS hasn't changed since I added the lights at the castle - then made tunnels, then added lights, then made the bridge, then added more lights, and more lights still, then added twice as much foliage, THEN started work on this! 55-100fps at 1080P with my 1080ti and 8700k. Italy doesn't run this smooth, although the heavy parts are heavier than the heaviest parts in Italy . . if that makes sense. Overall the performance is better than Italy, but there are times it can be worse - five cars in view, and looking across the entire map at 4k. I've been putting off a, "top secret" thing for about a month now, and have just really jumped on it. So much for calling it quits a few hours ago, however other than saying, "I'm finally putting it to work" there will be news in a week or so I assume.

• Like Like x 5
  18. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Been non-stop working, lots of issues with the editor, textures, and AI pathing but today got to work on some props:

Attached Files:

• 0074.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  19. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

Quick shot of it animated with normal maps, spec maps, and quick diffuse. UV work complete!

Now to get back to the "top secret" work =D

--- Post updated ---
    After getting the video up, I realized the center bore was way too small and the fan blades were way too thick! So ... enlarged the center and reduced the blade's thickness, now it looks much more appropriate. Hooray!
    --- Post updated ---
    I know I know, enough with the windmills.

But, I've redone the textures and they're much . . grittier, I think I might leave Castle Run on them! =D Tomorrow will be back to work on the other stuff as I thought today would be. AFTER I make some sounds for the turbines of course.

Attached Files:

• 0075.jpg
    • 0076.jpg
    • 0077.jpg
    • Like Like x 11
  20. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

All the detail you put into your map & the models for your map is just amazing :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice