Breakable connection between steering box and steering wheel/ pedals and engine etc.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Spython, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Spython

Spython
    Expand Collapse

I've been wondering why are we still able to drive and steer vehicles perfectly fine, even if the body is severed completely from the frame in a hard enough crash . Originally it was quite a fun and silly thing to do, but it would be more in line with his game's goal to not have remote control of your car just because the body is in a ditch and the rest of the car is not too badly damaged powertrain-wise.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Martinko138

Martinko138
    Expand Collapse

Well, I think it would require a lot of code rewriting since steering isn't connected to any part, the steering wheel doesn't even have collision, if the same logic was applied to a car wheel, it wouldn't detach itself and wouldn't require any engine to spin. But I would like to see that ingame and have it as a gameplay settings toggle.

3. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

The reason why this happens is that, believe it or not, the pedals, gauge needles, automatic gearbox handles, and gearbox handles are actually driven by electrics that respond to control inputs from the vehicle. They're props and for good reason. Since they are props it's also the reason why they don't move in a crash. Trust me when I say this, it's better this way. What you are asking for however is not something that should be incredibly difficult to implement, since they could implement a function that kills electrics functions. This however is a niche thing and definitely not on their priority list for quite some time to come. The game's only in v0.23.x, so let's just wait for what the developers got in stock for us when they get to the 1.0. I bet that the game will be quite different and evolved from what it is now, probably to the point you would think the current version is plain and bare.

4. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

that would actually be pretty easy to do I think, you could bind the overall controls to a breakable beam. If that beam gets broken, so does the steering, pedals,...
    Kind of like how the engine stops working if you rip it from the engine bay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Gregory TheGamer

Gregory TheGamer
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. How it is currently however is by no means not realistic, since theoretically, you can still press the clutch, brake, and throttle pedals even if the body is of the frame. :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice