Big Issues When Making Differentials

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by stevenland, Sep 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. stevenland

stevenland
    Expand Collapse

I made a front differential for the 200BX and it didn't go so well. My problem was that when the front wheels (The Modded Part) lost grip and started to burn rubber, the wheels went full Ape-Shit on me. They instantly accelerated to 300MPH as soon as I tapped the gas exploding the front tires. I tried to do the same thing with the Moonhawk hoping for better results. The same issue happened except it was when going backwards. The Rear Wheels (The regular side) was affected this time. This didn't really phase me that much, but then I got another issue. Whenever I crash the car and break the modded differential. It decides that it doesn't wanna be a differential. What I mean by this is that the axle says screw physics and becomes a static inanimate object with no rotation, sticking out from the middle of the car. Because I make BeamNG.Drive crash videos this is also a big problem for the cinematics. It goes away once I hover my mouse over it in the parts menu, but it comes back when I crash, and I record the crashes. So I think you can see how that may become a problem...

What I did to mod the differential was very simple. I copied the Diff files from the Rear suspension folder from both cars and then simply pasted it in the Front suspension naming all the parts "F" "f" Front" instead of "R" "r" "Rear" Then I copied the slot name from the Rear suspension and then again pasting it on the Front suspension slots. That's all I did. Am I missing anything? I saw on an old forum that someone had done the same thing and made it into a folder which you can use. When I checked the folder it showed "Van Transfercase" In the slots. I never made a Transfer case for either of the cars. Is that what I'm doing wrong?

If anyone knows please let me know! Thanks!

2. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

Is this a locked diff? If it is then try reducing the lock torque.

3. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

I had the issue with exploding tires, and it all comes down to how your drivetrain is laid out in each part in the "drivetrain" section...

],
    "powertrain" : [
    ["type", "name", "inputName", "inputIndex"],
    ["splitShaft", "transfercase", "gearbox", 1, {"splitType":"viscous", "primaryOutputID":2, "viscousCoef":15, "viscousTorque":500, "friction":5}],
    ],

(EDIT/UPDATE) To further break down how the above section works, TYPE, NAME, INPUTNAME and INPUTINDEX all mean what they say they are. So, to make it easier to understand, the splitshaft is technically the way the game refers to the transfercase, or "type". Transfercase is the "name" of that part. The transfercase gets its INPUT from the gearbox, hence inputname, and input index is where I get a bit confused but I seem to just fiddle with 1 or 2 and if something doesnt work right, I switch the numbers....maybe someone can elaborate on that.

Above is part of the code from an (old and unsupported) LeGran AWD mod I made (I'm currently working on a new updated cleaned up version including torque reactors) but this section of the code really seems to deal with the symptom you are experiencing. If you use the drivetrain debug tool, there shouldn't be any dummy shafts or strange positions of the components on the debug app. The diagram should show a basic, understandable flow of power, from engine to flywheel/converter, to gearbox, to (for example) a front shaft that comes from transfercase and another shaft going out of the transfercase to the rear, then thos 2 shafts connect to differentials.....you actually might want to add a transfercase, that might be your issue right there if you dont already have one. The "1" digit above in the code that is after "gearbox" also has something to do with (correct me if I am wrong) the priority of power input, and if the 1 or 2 that is in that spot is wrong, strange behavior is to be expected.

To convert a FWD or RWD car into AWD/4WD, you need to add not only the new front or rear differential but also corresponding driveshafts and a transfercase. With the addition of the torque reactors into the code (which I am still figuring out how they work) that just adds another possibility to have one of the drivetrain assignments incorrect, thus creating dummy shafts, or power routed to an empty spot on the drivetrain debug app. Feel free to PM me your code, copy and paste it all from the transaxle or engine .jbeam file, and I will poke around in there and see what may be causing your suicidal exploding tires/rims.
    --- Post updated ---
    Regarding the quirky model that pokes out, glitches etc, I have no clue, the flexbodies might need to be adjusted in the code to reflect the addition of a new mesh, if that makes sense, thats what I think I gathered from your description anyway.

#3 SHOme1289, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice