Released BFR: Big F*king Ramp

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by ChromaKey, Apr 2, 2020.

1. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

With the sudden free time we all have, I'm revisiting a giant ramp I created years ago. I've added a few new features of my own but I need one more. What would you like to see out of a mile-high ramp?

I have:
    Decline > Ramp > Airtime> Landing Ramp
    Flat > Free Fall > Landing Ramp
    and
    Decline (3 different declination angles) and I'm attempting to add a brachistrone curve (no promises, that one's hard in SketchUp)

I have one more side that I can play with. First good community suggestion wins. I have a decent amount of kinematics knowledge, and a respectable amount of CAD experience so very little is off the table.

My potential ideas were:
    -Giant ramps with upside down arcs where I "catch" the cars on their roof midair
    -Gradual bunny hops (100' or so) all the way down to be taken full throttle
    Otherwise I'm stumped. Have any ideas?

Photo for reference:
    Annotation2020-04-01205600.png

2. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Maybe try corkscrewing the ramp so that the car drives inverted for a moment while it travels down the ramp?

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if I know how to model a barrel roll... (at least in sketch-up) I did 3 loops instead. Combined with the roof idea.

#3 ChromaKey, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  4. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

BFR_p1.jpg

I tried. I tried to get it in the game, but I have no idea what's wrong. I renamed everything properly in the json files, but the preview doesn't load, the textures don't show, and the collision maps are all wrong. If someone wants to give it a go and put it in a blank level I've put the link to the .dae file and textures at the bottom here. I'm frustrated that after 30 hours of calculations and modelling that I can't figure the last step out. Anyways here's the thing if someone wants it.

Attached Files:

#4 ChromaKey, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

You could always try hitting someone up like @bob.blunderton or @primo3001 & maybe they would be able to help you get it ingame

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

Also, side note: the loops might need some resizing. My math says that most cars will pull +2g's at their respective speeds, but they look really big to me. I might need to shrink them.

7. Dummiesman

Dummiesman
    Expand Collapse

You were close. First off your info.json was invalid
    Missing end quote and comma
    upload_2020-4-7_22-9-38.png

Secondly, the path to your textures is just wrong in the materials file
    upload_2020-4-7_22-10-2.png

Once those were fixed. I see the preview in the menu, and I see some textures. Though you haven't made all your materials
    upload_2020-4-7_22-10-25.png
    --- Post updated ---
    As for the collision, you have backfaces. Remove these and it should be fine. They eat tires from above.
    upload_2020-4-7_22-15-0.png

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Be aware that Sketchup creates very inefficient poly models. It causes all the surfaces to be a separate draw call, which after about 3500~4500 surfaces in view starts to knock performance below 60fps depending on the computer configuration. A vehicle by contrast is somewhere around 800 draw calls, give or take a few hundred depending on the vehicle.
    Shadows, reflections, normals & specular textures, particle effects, etc are all in addition, per-surface, as-needed, for that number.
    A draw call is handled by the cpu and tells the graphics card to draw a single, or connected, like-textured set of surfaces on a model.
    The way you keep draw calls down is by stitching UV's and getting creative with texture mosaics. When you stitch (sew) UV's together it connects the textures between poly surfaces, and enables you to make a proper looking model with aligned textures. Regardless if your object has 5 stitched surfaces, or 5000, it makes little difference to the cpu in time, as the time to fetch the draw call takes longer than the gpu may take filling all those stitched surfaces. However, too many single-surface draw calls without filling the scene up per-frame will make things slow to a crawl.
    Use of LOD's (levels of detail) will keep draw calls and triangle fill counts down, rendering a simpler object the further away it gets. This can cause pop-in or pop-out if done poorly, so make them convincing but not too tough on the cpu or gpu.
    With proper modeling tools, you will reliably get your object in game every time.
    I recommend Blender 3D, surely it has a .org site you can get it free, google for it. Don't use Sketchup if you don't have to.
    If you only know Sketchup and that's all you can use, and can't figure out Blender; then consider trying out Maya or Maya LT, though it will cost some cash.

Single-sided surfaces work best in this game for collision, they must always face the player. Back-faces eat cars, narrow faces less than 2~3cm wide eat cars.
    Be careful when building fences, curb faces, poles, or trim sections or features on buildings such as eves or railings. If you leave lots of narrow faces, the vehicle will possibly pass through this between computations and get stuck. This is not a limit of the game engine so much as it's a limit of modern computing.
    Use dedicated collision meshes, and call them COLMESH_1, the shape attached to this name is COLMESH_1Shape - keep these simple but accurate, and avoid narrow faces.
    Use models in descending order of detail, start with a high detail house-sized object say at 400~650 pixels of fill at full detail a half-block or less away, depending on how well your LOD's are done and such, you can make one or two more (or three if it's a huge building and will be rendered even when miles away, say a landmark factory / distribution center (RDC) or apartment complex on a hilltop).
    MAKE SURE to set your application as Z is up. Also, make sure your object classes (such as house_a500 or base00 or start01) are 0,0,0 coordinates to avoid mismatched collision or placement, and keep the origin (the handle you move it with) at the center of the object, or it will possibly pop-in or pop-out of view at the wrong time.
    So you'd have House_a500 as your main detail, with House_a500Shape attached to it. Then House_a300, then House_a100. Keep naming concepts the same or it'll mix up the game engine or crash out.
    Your object will look like this.
    First create BASE00
    Then inside that create START01
    place in this start01 level, your shapes, all of them
    Colmesh_1
    House_a500
    House_a300
    House_a100
    then make empty markers named to match your detail levels present that tells the engine to render them, put these in the same folder with all others. Make sure it's all in this order!
    detail_500
    detail_300
    detail_100
    bb_autobillboard25 (optional)
    nulldetail8 (optional)

Make sure to use DDS format textures. This software can use DDS textures from up-to-date versions of paint dot net. Use DX11 Linear on reflections and normals, to keep from getting blue tinge on them, but solid materials such as brick or concrete that don't have any holes to see through (and not used on roads) can be saved in DX1 format. This is the means at which I use textures, and it works for me. DX11 sRGB tends to come out over-bright and washed out, so use Linear format compression on them (save dialog box in paint dot net tells you all about it). Paint dot net is FREE, look up 'get paint dot net' to get it free, or support it on the Microsoft store if you enjoy it.
    If you have access to photoshop you can use nvidia texture tools, if not, you'll have to use GIMP's normal map plugin. That is also free (GIMP is, photoshop isn't).
    Auto billboard is an empty class, it tells the game-engine to render a 2d imposter to be used (when the object is far away) to keep rendering faster. This is useful for trees but becomes obvious when used for large flat objects especially when viewed from higher up.
    There's quite a learning curve here, especially with BeamNG not being fully released nor finished yet; but this is necessary knowledge to make efficient models in most any 3D game today. The things you learn will help you in your quest and give you the necessary skills to really be creative and be without limits.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Eskimo24

Eskimo24
    Expand Collapse

I remember using this map a couple months ago when there was an old thread for it

This may be beating a dead horse but do you happen to have a downloadable version of this map that works?

10. a plane guy

a plane guy
    Expand Collapse

11. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

I've actually been trying to get this one up and running. I can fix the collision problems... even though the solutions tend to be house-of-cards-like. (turns out SketchUp downright hates parabolic curves) Though right now, I'm really struggling with getting the textures to look good. UV mapping has never been a skill of mine, and nothing is really working at scale. I could finish up a texture-less model, but it would not be up to the standard of other maps.

12. Eskimo24

Eskimo24
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that makes sense I really dont mind like what it looks like as long as it somewhat works I dont mind

The like first version of this map with just the access ramp and the 3 jumps I really enjoyed I got a monkey brain ramping cars is just fun

Its all up to you if you wanna make what you have so far public or take some more time

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

I would consider myself, on a good day, of slightly-higher-than-average intelligence. Pretty intuitive, and usually able to figure things out by playing with them for a bit... So why does working with the level editor feel like running facefirst into an automatic door that's broken, then pushing it and finding out it's also locked. And that it's a pull door?

Hopefully I can find recent tutorial since they seem to have changed a lot in the recent major update.
    (not complaining, just frustrated at my own uncharacteristic denseness)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

hello chroma, try to see rush 2 stunt track too

#14 Logan Mikael, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  15. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

It's the same problem facing both projects. I could (and have) uploaded my dae and texture files, but I don't want or expect to force (from my perspective) the hard part of the work onto someone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

ok then, but it couldn't be canceled

#16 Logan Mikael, Apr 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  17. bremer

bremer
    Expand Collapse

so can i fix it then get it in the map and do stunts with it may make map with this and have it be a little obsticle course and have it harder for each one
    --- Post updated ---
    how can i get it on my map

#17 bremer, Apr 30, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ChromaKey

ChromaKey
    Expand Collapse

Here's the most recent version:

BFRv2.zip

This folder should contain the dae model and all the textures I used. There's a lot to play around with, and I think I've fixed all the collision normals. If you can get it in game and placed properly, feel free to upload it. I'll just be glad it's out there for people to enjoy.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Logan Mikael

Logan Mikael
    Expand Collapse

Cool, just missing the rush 2 stunt track

#19 Logan Mikael, May 1, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  20. bremer

bremer
    Expand Collapse

how can i get it in game

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice