1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

BeamNG Vehicle Design Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by urbanestdog45, Jul 6, 2021.

1. urbanestdog45

urbanestdog45
    Expand Collapse

This is a thread I am making just to discuss opinions of the designs of vehicles in BeamNG.

Basic rules:
    • Don't be rude to users who have a different opinion
    • No toxicity
    • Stay related to BeamNG vehicles, however, mentioning other vehicles from IRL manufacturers is allowed as long as you are making a design comparison
    I'll start off by making my opinion on the Cherrier Vivace

I think that's why a few people (myself included) don't really like the front end of the Vivace. Unlike other French cars where they may look weird but definitely have bodylines that integrate and "flow" well with the rest of the car, the Vivace just doesn't seem to have any sort of "flow" to it (especially the front-end, the rear looks good). Many of the lines just crash into each other and although some of the lines try to integrate the grille into it, the grill kinda just breaks the lines more than it helps. If you fill in the gaps where the grill cuts into the lines, it would also look weird because there would be a Lexus-shaped grille but tiny and mounted basically just in the middle of the car. On the topic of Lexus and other manufacturers with oversized grilles, I actually don't mind them as long as they have flow within their design.

Also, you wanna know what grinds my gears?
    Car manufacturers making cars without good flow lines *cough* G80 M3 and all of the 2nd generation 4 Series models *cough*

• Like Like x 3
  2. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Oh, have you seen the new 2 series?.. bleh. Disgusting. I'd yake the current 2 series any day

Also, considering that the FCV is based off of almost all the French quirkyness, the rear looks amazing. The vivace is.. ok? Imo, but the tograc, ouch. Buut, yeah, there are CUVs that look terrible and some that don't.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

The sunburst is my preffered car in beamng, but it's too thin, and the sides are too flat IMO. And with the PBR update the headlights look weird with that black background, they would've looked better if they had a normal background. Also the rear lights are weird with only that circle being actually a tailight and the other part being basically just red metal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Franz027

Franz027
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#4 Franz027, Jul 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  5. Noobinator_83

Noobinator_83
    Expand Collapse

Dang, really? I really like the way the tograc looks. I think it looks sporty and modern with a touch of off-road.

6. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

Whaddaya mean suggestion ? this is a thread about discussing designs.

7. Franz027

Franz027
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#7 Franz027, Jul 6, 2021
  8. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure if that is what this thread is about ?
    @urbanestdog45
    Anyways i think the Esbr is waay uglier than the SBR4. While the sbr4 is looking smooth and coherent, the esbr breaks most of its lines, especially the headlights.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Franz027

Franz027
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#9 Franz027, Jul 7, 2021
  10. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I think this thread is about discussing opinions about cars that are in the game, not suggesting new things.

11. LucasBE

LucasBE
    Expand Collapse

Franz would make suggestions about beamng vehicles on a cooking forum if he could anyway, not like you can stop him

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Franz027

Franz027
    Expand Collapse

Deleted

#12 Franz027, Jul 7, 2021
  13. Noobinator_83

Noobinator_83
    Expand Collapse

Maybe you don’t understand what everyone is trying to say. You are not supposed to suggest things on this thread, but rather talk about what you like or dislike about the current designs of the vehicles in Beam.

14. drewr1122

drewr1122
    Expand Collapse

Hmmm yes I like picolina except that it seems a bit fat in my opinion. (Compared to a beetle or 500)

15. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, The sunburst taillights are really weird, some toyotas are similar imo, massive taillights, but a very tiny LED strip thats brighter than the sun to tell you that the driver is slowing down..

16. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

The only cars I would call ugly are the Tograc (which I don't mind being ugly because it represents what it should lol, I generally find most modern crossovers like this ugly) and the Wigeon (which is kinda cute, I wouldn't drive it irl but in Beam it's fine). The best looking cars overall imo are the Vivace, Moonhawk, Barstow, Piccolina, idk what else. Also the 200BX is just weird and I'm not sure if I like it or not, the placement and shape of all the trim, vents and indicators is completely not like you would imagine it to be. Also, from a more "technical" point of view, the Wendover, LeGran and D-Series have the best textures imo. Ok now fight me lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SKB

SKB
    Expand Collapse

*Sneak attacks agentY*

OT: yeah since the bendover and the dee series have been remastered recently, they have the best textures..

Vivace looks good (widebody especially), moonhawk and Barstow are pure muscle, don't exactly know where the bluebuck falls, maybe an old impala?, The Burnside, wow old classic, noice.
    200bx needs a bit of work imo, it's in the similar category as the new pessima, as it has 'some content' but not enough.. even texture quality..

18. trm7

trm7
    Expand Collapse

To me the gas powered sbr4 front end looks a little strange. It makes me think of like a frog or lizard. It doesn’t really look aggressive enough. In fact the entire car looks soft it doesn’t look aggressive. If I looked at the sbr4 irl I would never expect it to go 200mph. It doesn’t scream speed like a super car(is it a super car? The higher end trims are fast af.) such as the sbr4 should. There’s a 2017 face lift mod for it and I think it looks closer to what the front end of a car like that should look. It looks sporty and aggressive where the in game one just kinda looks weird. Driving the lower end rwd trims with the manual transmission gives me old Audi R8 with the naturally aspirated V8 vibes though. It’s not ugly by any means but doesn’t quite hit the mark on how a car like that should look to me.

the electric sbr4 just looks ugly to me and sports(or super) car is the last thing I think of when looking at it. The old and the new Tesla roadster look like sport cars where the electric sbr4 just looks like a abomination. It just plain looks bad. Looks like one of those super futuristic ugly concept car companies make. And if that’s what it was supposed to be then it would be perfect. The tograc looks like a beautiful Ferrari 250 Tessa rossa looks wise compared to the horrendous electric sbr4.(this is just my opinion don’t end me if you think it looks good that’s fine by me) sorry for formatting I’m on phone

#18 trm7, Jul 7, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. drewr1122

drewr1122
    Expand Collapse

Gas powered sbr4 > electric esbr4

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I guess if we're talking mainly aesthetics, here goes:
    Vivace & Tograc: while these two are quite "weird" looking, as others have said, it's entirely reasonable for a modern French compact car to look the way they do. the actual line flow and blending of the design elements is a masterpiece, especially on the Vivace.
    K Series: from the rear, this is very nice, an R231 SL with a bit of E89 Z4 and some existing ETK design language massaged in. but with the front, it completely falls apart. there are no bodylines actually grounding the upper grille, or the headlights for that matter, on the front of the car; it feels as though they were just stuck in as an afterthought like some automation fixture.
    800 Series: I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this yet, because it's an absolute bloody basket case. the front bumper sticks out on the corners massively, which is maybe passable for the TTSport bumper, but the XCSport and standard ones just look like some weird Russian custom job gone wrong. enclosing the centre grille hole works reasonably well on the sunburst, since the flat panel basically just becomes a plate mount, but leaving an awkwardly tall and narrow chasm of completely flat body colour in the middle of the car just doesn't work. the horizontal proportions of the front are also weird, the centre section is nowhere near as wide as the cars it appears to be designed after, leading to a distractingly pointy snout. the rear is not quite as bad, though the choice to mount the plate on the bumper instead of the tailgate does lead to slightly awkward proportions. the chunky D pillar, while it does have decent line flow with the rear spoiler and such, does also upset the graphical balance of the rear.
    SBR4: As weird as the overall premise of this car is, I quite like the finished product. my only gripe is maybe that the front bumper has the exact opposite issue of the 800: the sides angle in a little too fast. it doesn't need much, but to pull the front side vents away from the wheel arches just a little bit would help the appearance quite a bit, similar to how the Porsche 911's nose is.
    Sunburst: holds up surprisingly well considering it was the first remotely modern car Gabe had designed since his RoR days. perhaps a little curvier than equivalent RL cars, but nothing outstanding.
    Roamer: not bad, but the weird cut lines in the early front bumper are a poor choice, the front should wrap right around to the wheel arches. the inclusion of wood trim is also a weird choice, especially when the pickup uses the same interior.
    van: I can't think of much, uuuh, the sealed beam headlights should be un-squared?
    pickup: the two new facelifts work quite well, both on their own, and in the context of the others, though the place of the original "mid" facelift is kind of confusing, since the fleet trims retain the whole pre facelift, as well as the D15 V8 and various zeta/rancher/etc. versions retaining just the fascia, but with compound headlights. it almost seems as if they're trying to phase out the original fascia.
    Grand Marshal: Overall looks like a reasonable mashup of a '92 crown vic and a '90 caprice. My only complaint is that the bumpers don't really look "90s" enough. The caprice had quite a narrow bumper with no intakes at all, and the vic had a "bottom feeder" bumper (like the Wendover) which tucks underneath quite far back, and has the air intake mostly concealed.
    Midsize: There's not much to say here, except the inclusion of a C-pillar window on a non-liftback is kind of weird. I wonder if they were planning a wagon version from the beginning?
    200bx: lots of subtle things wrong, which on their own aren't horrible, but together combine to make the whole thing just look... off. the bonnet doesn't slope down hard enough, the side trim is weirdly chunky, and the front end design has more horizontal lines than a modern BMW x6, giving the illusion of being taller, which is not what you want in a sports car.
    Pessima: Again, very nice overall, but the rear quarter window is an odd choice, though it does fit in well here.
    Covet: not terrible, but showing its age. the doors are a little too short, the bonnet could be angled down a bit more, but i've no doubt these issues will be addressed in the remaster.
    Hopper: not much to report on, it's pretty much a TJ wrangler with round taillights and an eggcrate grille. Actually, what's with the sport special and dune edition? why do they both have to exist? where's my tacky YJ renegade/J70 Prado style aero bodykit for the SS? I NEED ANSWERS!
    Pigeon: the very premise of this car puts it in a really weird place, but it does quite well all things considered. Various 70s Japanese trucks meets reliant robin and an Ape got involved somewhere along the way.
    Wigeon: Fine on its own, but design wise it seems dated for even the early 80s; not only were the "Gandini" style curvy wedge cars with big porthole windows going out of fashion in favour of the more computerised, vector-graphic style designs of the 80s, but also at this time, a large Japanese company like Ibishu would have loads of money to develop an entirely new sports car chassis, rather than cobbling something together on a soon-to-be-outdated light truck chassis. relist the production to start in something like 1976, and all of those problems go away, though that likely wasn't done to avoid opening the can of worms that is making a 70s pigeon.
    Semi: seems reasonable overall, though I'm still interested to see what a COE version would look like.
    DT40L: *checks* "Yep, it's a bus."
    I-Series: Nothing actually off on this car, it's just the complete lack of any front grille design that gets me confused, it just needs some chrome trim to elude to the modern ETKs.
    Bolide: the fact that it (at least presently) has a longitudinally mounted engine is quite weird, both the Ferrari 308/328 and Lamborghini Jalpa/silhouette had transversely mounted engines, this gives the bolide an abnormally long body
    Wendover: A faithful representation of a Toronado Trofeo, with the differences where it counts. pretty gud.
    LeGran: reasonable, the only weird thing is that the pre-facelift is very traditional looking, having black trim, an upright chrome grille, etc. but being of an overall very round construction, more akin to the futuristic ford Taurus.
    Moonhawk: not too bad, but if it's going for the personal luxury market maybe the shoulder lines are a bit too subdued.
    Barstow: horrible. the whole body is weirdly square, the bumpers look like they're straight out of 1975, the rear end has no sharp division line between the roof and rear face of the boot, it just smoothly falls to the rear glass, then to the top of the boot, then slopes down to the bottom. if you look at literally any car from that era, it will at least have a distinct kink from the roof to the backlight, or the backlight to the boot, or it'll have a kammtail style rear.
    Bluebuck: like the Barstow, its bumpers just seem awkwardly large and chunky,
    Miramar: Overall reasonable, and as unconventional as the inboard headlights are, I think they work rather well.
    Piccolina: pretty good, the logical conclusion of "what if the beetle was Italian"
    Burnside: Very nice as it is, though I do think the Burnside would be a great candidate for multiple facelifts. something like a 49-50, 51-52, and 53-54 model.

/slab of text

#20 CaptainZoll, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice