On Hold BeamNG Paradise

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by falefee, Nov 5, 2017.

?

What area of the map would you like to see showcased in a video?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2018.
  1. Downtown Paradise

69.1%
  2. Silver Lake

3.6%
  3. Palm Bay Heights

6.4%
  4. Harbor Town

6.4%
  5. White Mountain

11.8%
  6. Big Surf Island

26.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

My schools blocks it i will join later

2. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

In case anyone is wondering, I have this much of the map done so far.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BuggattiVitesse1

BuggattiVitesse1
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

well just keep doing wat ur doing, by the way that's a lot of progress

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Yep! Thanks.

5. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Well, here it is so far. Only got the sides done since I was hard pressed on time. Hopefully it'll be in full glory by Sunday. screenshot_00542.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Super nice man!

7. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

Mingo, the ETK Pioneer is gonna take a little longer than I anticipated because... I'm an idiot and left my tablet at my house and I'm currently 84 miles away from it for the next 4 days.:rolleyes: It'll be ready once I get home.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

lol, no probs. it would be appreciated if you join the discord :)

9. nosraenyr kcirtap kcin

nosraenyr kcirtap kcin
    Expand Collapse

Can someone make the Hunter Vegas skin for the MoonHawk
    Hot Spur (or how I call it "Hot Sperm") skin for the 800-Series
    Infernio Van BRT skin for the H-Serious
    a Jansen P12 skin for the Bolide
    a Annihilator Phoenix skin for the Barstow

#109 nosraenyr kcirtap kcin, Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Looks awesome. BP is about the only other racing game I play besides Carmaggedon Max Damage, and Whiplash for DOS.
    No really, I love this. However...

Keep any trademark names, any reference to what it really is, out of the release versions. Due to take-down notices etc. Call it Beamng PairofDice or something like that. DMCA is geared in favor of the victims and a complete affront to innocent until proven guilty in the court of law, so just be aware of this.
    You have a hard-limit of 4096 objects in a map including you and anything you can see in the f1 object editor.
    Any object with collision will be able to placed in the forest brush for unlimited usage without restriction in regards to the former 4096 limit. Going over 4096 will cause things to not appear on map load.
    Paths would be best done only on roads absolutely needed, like the highway, etc. If you use waypoints (you'll have to if this isn't terrain based but is in-fact model based), those add up quickly and need to be placed at every turn and Z-axis/grade change in the road as they must draw a straight line not deviating more than a few feet in any direction.
    Objects with built in collision mesh are faster to process than objects without it. A simple house using visible mesh for collision you don't hit all the time is usually fine but doing the whole map that way and unleashing half a dozen or more cars into the map, could cause an issue in cpu-land... Objects that need collision and don't have a built in collision mesh would be unable to be used in the forest brush.
    Meshculling, the game doesn't by default do this automatically, so look up the words MESHCULLING in your main.level.json and make sure they all say MESHCULLING = 1; not = 0 or something like that.
    There's also a check box for this option on each item but trying to select multiple items at once may not get them all to affect the change on all of them at once when you multi-select and check the box.
    So do check the main.level.json file to see if you've got them all.
    Consider releasing the island alone first as a demo of the full project, since it was never officially released as an expansion on the PC (for most folks, except maybe on Origin?) except through hacking with mods.

It's a great game in and of itself, really well done. I enjoyed undercover also, which I also have (and I got it to run!!!), suprise suprise.
    So entirely, if you need help with questions let me know.
    Tiled terrain support is coming in the future as-per the mods, just a FYI to let you know. This might make things easier. Currently you can do tiled terrain but only one terrain has collision in the map due to an engine limitation.

You can check about how many items you have in your map, by doing a 'count' for how many times "class" is featured in your main.level.json. Don't try to select everything in the f1 object editor when you have 1000+ objects or you'll lock the application or make it hang for hours.

Take it from me, if there's a way to crash this editor, I've found it :) If I got any more steamed at this editor's follies on a daily I'd be setting off my smoke alarms.

--Best of luck on a really really awesome thing.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

My prayers have been answered, the lord of the editor has replied to my thread.
    Yes, I have definitely been adding Meshculling to models that I have imported, but I most likely forgot some.

I shouldn't be nearing this limit for a final release. I should hopefully start importing bigger sections of the map with fewer models. I would be glad to know whether this will affect loading times or performance.

I am very very very interested in AI Paths at the moment, and so are my testers. I have placed some waypoints down at a simple jump but it seems the AI doesn't do anything with it. Also, using decal roads for pathing lags the game so much it's impossible to get positions right. (over objects enabled). I would appreciate it if you know any ways of doing so on model-based terrain.

I will definitely try and figure out a good fitting name for the mod before final release, thanks for that and all of this info!

12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Not that I'd call myself the lord of anything but opinion and much theory on things, but I've definitely been around the block a time or two with that editor here. It's not always fun but sometimes if you stick with it you can make something really cool.
    Meshculling is a good thing, it's not a godsend, but it helps in the way that 'every little bit helps'
    Try using a completely invisible decal road, you don't need it over objects, but if you carve a terrain, stretched to the size of your map, to the basic ground height 6 inches under your roads, you'll be able to slap a decal road on it just like any other map, and tell the AI to drive on it. It drives from node center to node center, using the x y and z coordinated (z is very important, too).
    When the map is closer to done, make a giant 4k terrain and carve all the .DAE object's roads to it, and make your map run like a dream. Waypoints, you'd need many thousands of them, and they need to be at each x y or z curve in the road.
    If the AI doesn't go over a jump, it can't find the road or has deviated too far (usually in Z coordinates, the height) from the planned path. Check waypoint height or that you don't have a crest or trough in the intended line the AI won't see (as it's merely looking at the route between the waypoints and not the objects or terrain itself. It slows more and more until it stops if it's 1~2 meters away from the intended trajectory).
    The more you add, the more you add to the load time, there's little / no way around it, especially on the 'first load' of the map on a user's computer when it generates all the CDAE's. It only does that once per map though. The next loading and there-after doesn't take nearly as long. Not a big difference if you have few models but if you have many many hundreds, of different models, it takes longer.
    I'd suggest not carving terrain under your models until last. Do it all and go near it's center anchor (with the arrows you can pull on the object's origin), and move the terrain down just far enough so it doesn't glitch through the road surface, you only need to do where the AI drives.
    Back up your 0.10.x version of the game as the game version will change sometime in the next 10 days, as an update will come out. Keep a backup incase something goes wrong and backup your map too periodically especially if you spent the whole day working on it (and keep the backups out of the beamng folder!).
    The next game version(s) when it updates may have tiled terrain support, keep an eye out for this as it will help you. Only one terrain can have collision currently so ti means only a high square-size will get you a map-sized terrain. You lose detail but gain range/mileage of the terrain when upping the square size. Look at my Roane County which has a 5.2 square size.
    --Best wishes!

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Definitely! Thanks. I'll try and figure out how to carve the terrain and such, and I'll definitely look up to you for questions.
    --- Post updated ---
    *nudge nudge*

• Like Like x 4
  14. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

If you haven't yet, check out the teaser!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DuneWulff

DuneWulff
    Expand Collapse

*Big Beam Island ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nyan2Fast4U

Nyan2Fast4U
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I would have never thought this was possible. Good luck man.

17. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks man. It would never be possible.

18. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

Great job on this so far! I seriously am enjoying the number of city maps in-development right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

Thanks!

20. falefee

falefee
    Expand Collapse

@bob.blunderton 0.11 broke the map. I backed up 0.10, but I'm not sure on what to do to make it work on 0.11. All the models just aren't present but lights are. When I click on a model in the editor, no information displays.

EDIT: Squashy2015 helped me out. Since I originally replaced template, templates info was overwriting the info I put. I should hopefully be able to fix the info.json, but will ask if needed. :)

#120 falefee, Nov 23, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice