Released BeamNG.drive's Visual Enhancement Project (VEP) 3.0 - Official Thread

Discussion in 'Utilities and programming' started by cessni, Feb 19, 2016.

1. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Will do!

2. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

I would do the same too. I would try by decreasing the contrast a little and increase overall exposure by 0.5-1. And of course, as I have said before add a 700K-1000K to the temperature. Also could add some glow. All this for direct sunlight exposure.

I am a photographer and I speak from modifing thousands of pictures. Of course in your case you have other params at your disposal which I am not aware of, but I can only say from my perspective and hope it helps you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the feedback guys. Glad you are interested in improving it too. It is basically all numbers between a defined range.

4. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

In this foggy situation, the contrast should be minimal. Shadows should not exist at all. The rest seems preatty good.

Attached Files:

• BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-24 17-10-00.png
  5. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Well, that is not on my end, but on the game engine, which doesn't even have HDR. I can't control shadows or sun light, only some values.
    --- Post updated ---
    @cdiac You mean like bloom?

6. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

In this case HDR is useless since there is no high dynamic range in this photo. The dynamic range for this situation is very low actually. Anyways, shadows should be 0; if in your params you have a work around to remove/diminish the sadows by contrast or what have you... I do not know if you can modify params value f(other enviromental vars); that is, for foggy situation have a contrast value and for sunny situation have another contrast value.
    --- Post updated ---
    Yes, bloom it is.

7. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure I have that. I think only ENBs can do that. I have added bloom and decreased contrast and saturation a bit from the last image. My preset mimics HDR actually, but the game doesn't have a good one.

View attachment 110580

Attached Files:

• BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-04-34.png
    • BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-04-55.png
  8. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

Could you please add also the last one in the same post so I can do a direct comparison. As a pure image analysis and not a comparison, i can say that the scene itself seems very appropriate for an winter sunny situation where the sun is not that powerfull.

The contrast is way better in the second image for this lighting condition , but I do not see any bloom effect.

#128 cdiac, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  9. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Oh, my bad I didn't modify contrast, only saturation. I don't know why I said that. Sure, I understand.

Vanilla vs 1.3 vs 1.4

BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-16-35.png BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-13-14.png BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-13-56.png
    --- Post updated ---
    I think I now have to work on the colors.

1.3 - 1.3 with your modification - 1.4

fQfdvLO.png fQfdvLO.jpg BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-27-55.png

10. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

Let's go from third which is has the most constrast and tell me what params do you have that could affect white balance; similar to image color temperature and tint.

#130 cdiac, Feb 26, 2016
  11. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

I think I now have to work on the colors.
    Open the four files in the .zip I attatched in the first post, there you can see what effects I am using.

12. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

13. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

I think this is where you should work on. Here is a lookup table for colors. Here you can also adjust the gamma (probably). But the way to change things is out of my reach.

in customfx.cfg

Code:
    147: #define TuningColorLUT 1 //[0:1] //-ColorLUT

305 //**LUT**///
    306  //-------////
    or maybe here
    Code:
      312: #define RGB_Gamma float3(1.030,1.050,1.050) //[0.000:2.000] //-Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue. Note that a value of 1.000 is a neutral setting that leave the color unchanged. X = Red, Y = Green, Z = Blue
    where you would play with different gama values adding more red and green, or reducing blue.

14. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Getting close, I'm actually modifying these line because those didn't exactly work:

Code:
    ////------------//
    ///**VIBRANCE**///
    //------------////
    #define USE_VIBRANCE 1 //[Shared] //-Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

//>Vibrance settings<\\
    #define Vibrance 0.25 //[-1.00:1.00] //-Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
    #define Vibrance_RGB_balance float3(-1.50,0.00,1.00) //[-10.00:10.00] //-A per channel multiplier to the Vibrance strength so you can give more boost to certain colors over others. X = Red, Y = Green, Z = Blue

Attached Files:

• BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 15-52-41.png
    • fQfdvLO.jpg
  15. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

The vibrance is not what you want to work with to adjust color temperature because what essentially does, it enhances the color more in the uncolored area than in already saturated areas. So you will not have a constant effect in different scenes. You are better working with the gamma and lift and gain for different range of light.

16. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

I can't find the way to make it look brighter without breaking it.

Attached Files:

• fQfdvLO.jpg
    • BeamNG.Drive.x64 2016-02-26 17-06-33.png
    #136 cessni, Feb 26, 2016
  17. cdiac

cdiac
    Expand Collapse

The idea with gamma, lift and gain is to use them to add a little more yellow in the picture. That is to make the sensation of warm which is the case for sunny day.
    In the shades actually it should be more bluish than the neutral it is now. While in the mid tones (gamma) should be more orange and in brights should be yellower. And if you adjust the gamma properly you could get a effect of sun burning the film; which in some extent can be achieved with bloom.

In the first image you can see that the contrast is high (in the tarmac near the camera) but does not necessarly seem so in the whole picture because of the lower gamma.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_correction
    So, lower gamma will increase visibility while keeping the blacks and whites intact. And than you can play with contrast to make it look day bright.

Than you can increase the lights to create a effect of even more light. In combination with gamma you can achieve just the perfect sun burn effect.

Than the shadadows you can adjust on sites where you have both direct suntlight and shades so you can still see what's going on there. This also in combination with gamma.

Than in the second image you can see at the roof of first police car and on the heli how bloom will create the same sunburn effect and reflection. You should play with bloom too. Alot.

Than in the third, the bloom on the wings, and also the gamma.

In all three params i have told you about you can adjust the red, greens and blues independently, so if you want to create yellow you can than increase the red and the green. See color wheel.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel
    --- Post updated ---
    For the blues in the shade I have added the following pictures. Both are not edited, and both have decent enough white balance. See how the snow seems blue in the shades. Than how white shells and rocks seem also blue in the shades... Don't know if you will be able to achieve that, but maybe you will if you increase the blues only on the sades param, you could achieve that. But first you should try make the whole image yellower and once stabilized you could try making the shades more blue maybe even be radical an make the shades trully blue and see where is going.

Best of luck.

Attached Files:

• grand-theft-auto-v-update-110-1-1.jpg
    • 0_0.jpg
    • 1373382073.jpg
    • 3501-1_0.jpg
    • 405810879_cac7fe3c25.jpg
    • shadow hearts.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SilentWalrus

SilentWalrus
    Expand Collapse

[THESE PICTURE ARE ONLY FOR CESSNI TO SEE SOME BUGS IM HAVING]
    Not sure what could be wrong. i used all your updated textures apart from skidmarks. (since you said they had some issues)
    But only get light glitches and no tyre smoke. And for some reason dust only emit from one wheel. Might be im on to low settings. but not sure :)
    Just wanted to let you know what is happening on my end :)

19. cessni

cessni
    Expand Collapse

Take ALL .zips but mines out of your mods folder and delete the art folder in documents\beamng. Then run the game.

20. Logi_Veloce

Logi_Veloce
    Expand Collapse

Don't get me wrong, I love this mod, but I have a problem. In some areas, it get all pixelated. I mean, it could be my gpu, because I'm running on a 140$ 750 TI, but I never really noticed until now. Sometimes the shader isn't clean and gets pixelated.
    screenshot_00041.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice