Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Jan 16, 2014.

?

Manual or auto

1. Manual

170 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Auto

34 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I think when I get a car, I will try out stick, but I think I can do manual. I hope that my deterioration of concentration recently won't get worse, then I might not be able to drive stick without destroying the car lol.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

I know plenty of people that drive manual with ADHD, its just one of those things, do you lost all concentration while trying to eat your own food? Probably not.

I think in the case of manual vs auto for someone with ADHD, its probably more a case of being able to drive at all or not, no offense intended btw.

3. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

I don't think you could just be driving and suddenly get so distracted that you don't notice the engine revving up to the redline. If so, then I don't think it'd be safe for you to drive anything, even an auto.

4. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

Oh, its perfectly fine. I have learned that I would be an idiot if I didn't admit how stupid I act IRL.

- - - Updated - - -

But doesn't auto shift before then?

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I am learning on a Manual car so I am use to the gearbox on it and I am a really smooth driver for some reason although sometimes I do drive with my right hand only :p

6. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

My point was that if you can just suddenly lose focus on everything, then it's not really safe to be driving.

7. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I don't completely lose focus, but it is more of a reduced level thereof. I would probably focus a lot more when I'm driving, mainly because it is constantly engaging, and I focus a lot more when I am interested.

8. Garebear

Garebear
    Expand Collapse

I have driven 6 cars in my life. 3 being mine. And all of which where manual. I know no different :p

1st: 1989 bronco. 5spd
    2nd: 1994 ford f-150. (Mine) 4spd with granny low
    3rd: 1988 Mazda rx-7 (mine) 5spd
    4th: 1969 dodge challenger. 4 on the floor speed shift.
    5th: 1966 Chevelle. 3 on the tree.
    6th: 1994 Mazda protege. 5spd.

9. Davidbc

Davidbc
    Expand Collapse

My father had to use a Chrysler voyager (auto) at work for 2 weeks, and he said it was really boring to drive.

10. Neidjel

Neidjel
    Expand Collapse

I'm jealous. Is/was it a NA or Turbo II?

11. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

They are SO BORING to drive. I mean... It goes well on the highway but its like a cloud. No personality.

I have a 1997 Ford Ranger, 2WD 4.0L V6 2-door short bed with a 5-Speed Manual Mazda tranny. I was the only one in my drivers ed class who knew how to drive stick. 1 to 30.

12. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

I remember getting a Suzuki SJ410 for my 13th birthday, which was manual. I'd actually learned how to drive before hand, but only got good after getting that Suzuki. Every car ive had since has been manual, although for slow stop/start traffic id love an auto.

13. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

This is a very interesting discussion topic. I'm currently learning how to drive and I'm surrounded by auto transmissions. Yea, they are ungodly boring. My favorite car to drive currently is our 2011 Toyota Camry, it has a slap shift function that's fun to play with. The only thing remotely fun, entertaining, or interesting about it. But I'm starting to fall into the category of a manual car. But I can't really find anything I like in my $3500 price range. There's endless Honda Civic's (eww), the occasional really beaten and abused 4 banger Ranger, and the occasional 3-series BMW. I like to be engaged while driving, even if it's 5 minutes to my girlfriend's house or to the store. That's why I always use the Camry's slap shift. A manual car keeps you engaged, it make the mundane task of driving to work or school everyday almost really fun. You not only get better MPG, but you also get to extrude every single horsepower and rev the engine has, and that's fun.

14. Scudetto

Scudetto
    Expand Collapse

-

#34 Scudetto, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  15. Garebear

Garebear
    Expand Collapse

Just a 13B rotary non turbo. It was a nice car...

16. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

I have Three cars but the oldest one is a manual nissan-sentra-saloon-06.jpg nissan sentra 1994 and never replaced the clutch or nothing! :cool:
    also have a automatic toyota avalon 2000 2000-2002_Toyota_Avalon.jpg
    and a automatic mazda mini van 2007 03-mpv-hero.jpg

so yeah

- IBsenoj

17. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if they make stick-training boxes lol. Maybe won't simulate the engine screaming for help if you do it incorrectly, but just for the hand motions/paths of the stick. I bet they do though.

Also, aren't autos the most expensive transmission, then manual, then stick?

18. Potato

Potato
    Expand Collapse

Autos are more expensive than manuals, and just so ya know, manual and stick are the same thing, just two different names (potato potahto)

19. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Manual just means the gear is manually selectable, which is conventionally done through a stick shifter but can be paddle or column. So stick is manual. Actually I have never seen a column shifter with my own eyes, I think they were a bigger thing in america than europe. Image on left is a normal stick shifter, right column. Then of course you have motorcycle gearboxes which use neither :p
    Shift_stick.jpg Column_shift.JPG
    If you want to train the motions, go outside, pester the neighbours to play in their car, sit in drivers seat and just play with the shifter. You don't even need the clutch while the vehicle is stationary and the engine is switched off (actually you can shift without the clutch while in motion too *without damage* if done properly :p).

Autos are more expensive yeah, plus the torque converter they use instead of a clutch has slippage in it reducing their efficiency and they are aften heavier. Some autos do have a dog clutch fitted in the torque converter which then engages at high RPM to eliminate slippage, but this is rare on cheap cars. There are also robotised manuals where you take a computer monitoring the engine RPM and wheel speed which then controls motors which operate a conventional manual transmission, this appears in trucks but not so common in cars (its even heavier). Of course they are much easier to drive to the point that they seem utterly boring to me, push accelerator peddle and it goes, push brake and it stops, done, just don't forget to keep holding the brake while at a standstill or it creeps forwards on its own (engine idling is still enough to transfer force through a torque converter).

- - - Updated - - -

Stick is manual but manual is not stick :p

20. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

I thought manual was a straight line for the clutch (or whatever it is called) and stick had the maze of lines. Maybe what my mom has is a manua-uto kind of thing. (The straight line thing)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice