1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

Autobello Piccolina

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

The only butthurt person here is you, complaining about legit observations in a thread made specifically for that.

If attention to detail is not your thing (and it probably isn't, because there's much more than blinkers being discussed here, but of all the things, the color of blinkers is all you can remember), you can ignore this thread entirely and get an inaccurate vehicle, since you probably can't tell the difference anyway...
    Indeed. All little details I pointed out could be rectified in 3 minutes, and improving the lore for the brand a little wouldn't take much either.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I will say this much. Sometimes the smallest details can go a long way. But of course, there is a difference between recognizing simple details and pure OCD.

I think Soul has a decent point. For historical accuracy, it would make sense to have the Piccolina's indicator color match what was most present on cars back then.

I'm on the fence though, as I'll be fine with how the Piccolina turns out. It's not like a few inaccuracies would make the Earth explode or anything.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

It sounds like it was nearly complete in time for last update but postponed to be released alongside Italy.

These inaccuracies won’t be setting a precedent either; sadly it isn’t out of character for BeamNG to get a car with legal inaccuracies.

4. SHOme1289

SHOme1289
    Expand Collapse

It's great that BNG is taking their own approach to cars and making them how THEY like them. Nothing anywhere says these are real replica cars that should follow real life counterparts. These are made up cars. In made up locations. thats the point. thats the disconnect. if it was a FIAT or VW, then yea, im sure they would take the time to do each little detail correctly. But really its beginning to look like there will never be the light at the end of the tunnel if all these tiny little details are being fussed about. you have to know when to call it a day and release it as is. This car appears to have taken the most amount of time, more than any other car in the game. Lets see how it comes out when it's released.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

“Made up locations”?

We aren’t endlessly nitpicking, we are just pointing out things that don’t make sense. What’s the point of having a “1950-1970 Italian car” that wouldn’t have been street legal in 1950-1970 Italy? I don’t see how asking for a car to meet contemporary legal requirements is so overkill, seems pretty basic to me.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. RAINY

RAINY
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if we will get a European style licence plate, and for gavrail cars new badges

7. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

As I have said, details are important. But the content is infinitely more so. The name or the trim or the drip molding or the blinkers or whatever won't change your experience with the car. The world will not end because a realistic car game isn't to a tee in some aspects.

8. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

The core experience would also be the “same” if all the cars were only available in black and all the buildings in WCUSA were painted bright pink. Yes, the car is probably going to be a great vehicle in terms of content and possibly the best build quality, but that doesn’t mean the incorrect details should go undiscussed. Many small details in the physics engine go unnoticed by the vast majority of users, but many times the devs prefer to do something the right way, even if it’s far more difficult. They don’t cut corners in that department, so why take a different attitude for the vehicle’s, especially with something as easy as making them legal in the setting they are supposed to be from?

Again, I wouldn’t say that the requirements of being street legal is a “correct down to a tee” issue. Some of those details (such as maximum legal engine displacement) will change the gameplay. Visual details like blinker color may not be big for gameplay, but they are still important for accuracy and immersion. I really don’t see any reason to have an accurate game that has historically illegal parts of factory vehicles that would be so simple to fix. It doesn’t take much to google contemporary laws and make a couple versions of the trim for different markets.

#668 ManfredE3, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

The world wil not end if we discuss this either. If it's this irrelevant to you, you can simply avoid to join the discussion.

Why discussing details is upsetting people - up to the point they are trying to negate the validity of observations with completely made up and invalid counter arguments just for the sake of contradicting - is really beyond me, sorry if we interrupted the endless spam with some sensible arguments for once.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

This is only speculation, but my guess is that those who are upset by the discussion are probably seeing it as nitpicking, since a car's indicators is one of the smallest aspects about it.

I'm not really offended by the discussion. I said it earlier that I thought you had a good point. If you wanted to create a car meant to exist decades ago, historical accuracy is something that should be kept in mind. You can't simply make a car from let's say, 1940, with LED headlights and cruise control and call it 100% accurate.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

What the fuck ever. If I were a middle-class Italian after WWII, I would buy one (assuming the whole thing wasn't Mussolini's idea, much as the Beetle was Hitler's - I have principles, you know!). It looks way better than both the cars it's ostensibly based on.

Anyway, I wonder how all these cars will fit into the story of Career Mode.

#671 vmlinuz, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. 3DTunes

3DTunes
    Expand Collapse

I never remembered the devs telling us any specific length of the Piccolina or it's engine size, you guys are using rumors to talk about the Piccolina, why not wait for actual information from the devs before talking about the specs of the car as it is not in the game yet to compare to the other vehicles. While I can agree about the mirrors not needing to be on the vehicle or at least on the driver side door, the oval rear plate holder on the other hand is less of an issue as it makes the car to look original and they are quite similar to the 600's plate holder so I don't see much of the problem.

217841_Rear_3-4_Web.png 284160_20181002182042_11.png

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  13. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

Well, I find myself alternately agreeing and disagreeing with @FLyInG 2 YoUr SoUL here.

I agree:
    • That ensuring that official BeamNG vehicles are true to their origins and time periods is a worthwhile effort, and this includes paying attention to both regulations and common vehicle design conventions of the era.
    • That Lighting colouration is important, as it is often all that separates export-market vehicles from import-market vehicles
    • That the behaviour of some community members in shouting down this on-topic line of discussion has been ignorant and disrespectful
    I disagree:
    • That the oval shape embossed on the rear means the car was designed for oval license plates. So long as it's large enough for a rectangle plate, it's merely fancy (while still fairly low-cost) bodywork sculpting.
    • That separate rear fenders do not make sense. After all, an important feature for an economy car is being inexpensive to repair. It's often much cheaper to repair or replace a separate panel than to perform bodywork on the main body of the car, and fenders are among the parts most likely to be damaged.
    • That there should not be side-view mirrors. Remember that the Piccolina was produced between 1957-1975 - during a notable period of Italian economic growth. While driver's side-view mirrors were mandated in 1971, as far as I can gather, certain trims or markets of the Fiat 500 appear to have had them as early as 1965. Here's where it gets subjective: If Autobello was already manufacturing side-view mirrors for export models, why not take advantage of it and offer them as equipment on higher-trim models? And if the driver's side mirror is the same shape as the passenger-side mirror (as they appear to be), why not make that an option?
    Additionally, I would like to point out:
    • That we do not know the year of the yellow car shown at the top of the thread. For all we know, it could be from the mid or late sixties, when Fiat started to introduce trims like the Berlina and Lusso, which were better-outfitted versions of the 500, even going so far as to feature artificial leather and carpeting on the interior. The fact that we're seeing whitewall tires supports the notion that the yellow car isn't the bargain base model presented at the model's launch.
    • The function of the white lamps on the front of the yellow car is currently unknown. They may be foglamps.
    • Pictures of the dark-coloured car have been either from the rear or from a great distance. It is possible that this variant of the Piccolina is currently in a less complete state of development.

I'm kind of curious how nine posts over the course of twelve pages constitutes spam.

• Agree Agree x 7
  14. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Separate body panel is more expensive both to manufacture and to replace. Bodywork damage would be fixed without replacement, panels are only replaced in extreme cases.
    If it was just the driver side, it would be fine. No way a car this small (and this cheap) would have passenger side mirror though, when they often were unavailable even on luxury offerings of the time... Small cars in Europe often lacked a passenger side mirror up to the late '80s.

A 1988 Citroën AX, no passenger side mirror, even in the relatively high-end "Sport" trim:

I mean, even the base model Covet currently in game lacks the passenger side mirror...
    Fender blinkers and suicide doors seem to suggest it's an early model. More expensive variants of the 600, for example, dropped whitewalls (and much of the pretentious chrome trim) later in the life (they were only offered as an option, while they were standard before), as they were pretty much out of fashion by the end of the '60s.
    Integrated foglamps...? Really? In an economy car of the '60s? :rolleyes:
    Well, according to some, blinkers are a minor detail. Discussing details is insignificant.

So how are unconfirmed paint options any more relevant to this conversation? By the same reasoning, we should just wait for the official palette and availability of skins before we clutter the thread with poor, non-representative photoshops, right?
    --- Post updated ---
    Car pictured is running on 13" rims (Fiat 600 was on 12") but proportions are fairly similar, so the Piccolina must be bigger than a real life 600... and the devs pretty much confirmed an engine larger than 1.0L early in the thread.

#674 Deleted member 160369, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

I find that a little hard to believe. Surely it's easier to fix a bashed-in fender if you can remove it and get better access to the inner surface.

I have sympathy for this argument - lord knows I've made it several times on why the Burnside special should not have an optional Inline-six.

But at the same time, I keep finding photos of Fiat 500s and 600s with passenger-side mirrors online. One is even described as being "concours condition" It seems to be fairly common for owners to take an extra driver's side mirror and mount it on the passenger side. It's quite possible that the Piccolina we see has been altered since it left the factory, and that the passenger-side mirror should stand as a custom part.

Early, but not the earliest. My guess is this was probably around the middle of the production run, just before the major facelift. Hence the retention of the old signals and doors.

Fair point. They probably are signal lights or parking lights of some sort.

I never claimed that blinkers were unimportant, nor that discussing details is insignificant. You appear to have confused me with someone else.

As for that "poor, non-representative" bit, I'm going to let that insult slide.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

I absolutely disagree there.

17. Deleted member 160369

Deleted member 160369
    Expand Collapse

Likely an aftermarket addition in countries where both are mandatory today regardless of the age of the vehicle. Neither was offered with optional passenger side mirror from factory.
    If they are consistent with history, it would be a very early series. Suicide doors were being dropped by most manufacturers at the time, because they were deemed unsafe. In Italy, they were forbidden by the law in 1962 (if the only mean of access to the car, that's why the Multipla could retain them), and FIAT soon changed both the 500 and the 600 to comply.
    I haven't. Mind you I said "According to some", that doesn't imply I'm referring to you. :)
    I would too. Color swaps were just used as an example. They are just as significant as any civil discussion about the vehicle... even about apparently insignificant details. Otherwise this thread serves no purpose. I just wonder why the "anti-blinker" brigade didn't riot for fantasy photoshops...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MisterKenneth

MisterKenneth
    Expand Collapse

You're guess is just as a good as mine.

To me, the discussions and the color edits Rusty made both concern the Piccolina, so I think they both constitute as on-topic.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. YellowRusty

YellowRusty
    Expand Collapse

This could actually turn into a fun thing, with multiple available styles of aftermarket mirrors available. The bullet-shaped mirrors on this 600 would be a great place to start.

Right - and with that major change to the bodywork, AB would probably have taken the opportunity to make the car either more fancy and ornate (to compete with more-recently designed cars in the market segment) or less ornate (to reduce costs in pursuit of being the lowest-priced car in the market segment).

Given that I have been largely responsible for most of the palette swaps (I figured that they would help keep the thread focused on the Piccolina instead of veering off into more ridiculous things), it did seem very much

Eeh, they've probably been drinking too much blinker fluid. :p People like that enjoy spam and hate taking anything seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

Disagree. A separate panel requires minimal skills and tools to be replaced as it only involves unbolting several bolts. A panel integrated into bodywork has to be cut out, then a new one welded in, then primed, puttied, sanded etc.

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice