Audi A7 Sportback Interior/Chassis modeling

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by Spiicy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

@Keys, just estimate, fudge, etc. Make cubes of dimensions you think certain features are in size, put them to places of main features/lines of dashboard for example, you will see then if your estimates are off etc.

Kinda like lego blocks. With blueprints you just are used to follow lines, same lines exists in photos, etc. you need to visualize them and try to get it roughed in.

I don't use blueprints almost ever as you probably know, I just eyeball some lines, make really lowpoly block or just single edge to follow some line in photo, then extrude or subdivide for more details. It is easy then at very low poly state to adjust proportions so that your eye likes them, so that nothing jumps to face too bad.

Accuracy might not be perfect, but you are the magician that tricks audiences eye, by placing edges someplace which makes shape believable.

I'm really poor modeler, but I think this approach might help.

Also do tutorial or two on sculpting, some parts of dashboard are like made to sculpt, eh, they are made with sculpting.

Natural shapes are smooth and round, which is organic modeling, also deformation is often organic modeling technique. Then sharper corners etc are more of what you usually do with cars etc, extruding etc. Combine those techniques to get fastest and bestest results possible :)

Also think of what you can leave to textures and normal maps.

If you want to extrude whole dasboard, I think there brain starts screaming and running away, but with combination of techniques that might be surprisingly easy task.

Also make sure you fail with 1st version of dashboard, that mindset will help, it does not need to work at all what you first do, first version is to learn where you need better ways to do shape etc. Let it be all wonky, that will help to get it done.

Reason my STW rooflining has not progressed is pretty much that I want it to be good on first go, then it becomes harder to come back to it, copy hide, that I think I need to do more and just fail at it, maybe it works for you too :p

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the tip! I was confused on how to approach doing it, and I really am not great with eyeballing anything unless its on paper and pencil. ;)
    Ill defiantly try

3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

It is not actually that much different from paper and pencil, there you pick certain lines that you draw, those are your edges on paper and even it might sound easy, it is not, I suck at drawing too, not only in modeling, it does not help to know theory when talent is missing :D

Modeling is at least easy there that I can set edge straight if needed and that is pretty much which I model, I stay away from rounded shapes if possible :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Butwege

Butwege
    Expand Collapse

Hey don't forget to say when you will retake the project and when it will be finished
    (I'm sorry if i have a bad English because i normally speak french :) )

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

I'm not actually sure when I will keep working on it. I have the mesh on my pc, and not my laptop, but I was thinking about redoing anyways. It will be better if I redo it because I made some noob mistakes when I did it. I have learned quite a bit more since then. :p
    its not gonna die so dont get bummed

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice