apple iOS dhcp

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by SixSixSevenSeven, Jul 2, 2014.

1. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Been having a really weird network problem for the past few months, really really annoying me and can't be the only person having it.

We have 3 iOS devices in our house. IPhone 4S, iPhone 5S and an iPad (2 or 3, unsure).
    Every half hour the entire network slows up and comes to a total crawl (no up or down internet connectivity, ping times on local machines upto 3 seconds). Thought it was the router being a pile of junk (and partially it is) but noticed it didn't happen so severely when mum left the house and if she took her iPad too it stopped entirely.

Decided to check router event log.

Found a set of events coinciding with the slowdowns. DHCP renewal requests from both the 5S and the iPad. Not once every 24 hours as router is configured for and other devices stick to, half hourly. Not just 1 renewal request. Usually 3 or 4, once counted 12. Half the time they don't even stick to the new IP dhcp issues them.

They both seem to be spamming the router for renewal requests, it then can't cope and stops functioning. iOS is DoS'ing my router :p

I can't be the only person with similar events happening?

Fix I'm employing is to allocate static IP addresses for both devices rather than using dhcp.

2. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

We have an iPhone 4s an iPod something, and an iPad mini, but I have never experienced this.

3. logoster

logoster
    Expand Collapse

i see apple is there usual have some of the strangest but worst bugs possible, then take 50 thousand years before you actually get to releasing a fix self.

have you tried restarting your ios devices? as well as your router

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Several times daily, been happening for a few months, our router barely managed 48 hours up time and idevice batteries barely last a day the way mum uses them :p

The 4S has never once been problematic though. Just 5S and iPad.

5. Possibly_Pos

Possibly_Pos
    Expand Collapse

What ios version are the idevices on?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice