An official multiplayer

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by helloI amGood@drifting, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Dr. Death

Dr. Death
    Expand Collapse

"Hello World!"

• Like Like x 1
  2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

Depending on what compiler is used to compile it, the compiler itself might be buggy and it could not work on certain operation systems properly. Or it could cause Windows to crash because it's Windows.
    Nowadays bugs are not always the programmer's fault, there are massive piles of bugs from the compiler, programming language, operation system, PC architecture, etc. Most of the time everything works fine but there could be rare cases where multiple normally unnoticable bugs happen together to create one giant bug, that's how the blue screen of death usually happens lol. There is no software without bugs and never has been. Even the first computers ever had bugs, and they were literal living bugs that were eating the components and blocking the electricity flow inside lol. The programmer's job is just to keep the amount of fixable bugs to the absolute minimum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pss5156

pss5156
    Expand Collapse

That is a legit summery!

4. Davazz

Davazz
    Expand Collapse

Well, maybe not buggy but it doesn't work nearly as flawless as singleplayer. From what I've seen, there are weird differences between clients. For example, client A getting damaged from a crash with client B whilst client B doesn't see any damage on client's A vehicle. Or instances of client A reporting a collision while on the side of client B, there was no collision at all. BeamMP and kissmp are awesome but it's pretty obvious there is lots of interpolation going on resulting in strange behavior. The devs would never put such a multiplayer in-game, because it does not meet their standards.

5. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

It really has to do with connection speed. When I’m playing with someone with garbage internet that happens, but with people who have decent connections it’s fine. Besides that it’s perfect

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. amifreak0

amifreak0
    Expand Collapse

I was playing multiplayer demolition derby with my brother. We connected via Steam Remote Play and it worked fine so far. We played the official beamng scenarios. Only problem we had, that we did not find a way to delete the 3rd car in the ring. We could manage to delete the 4th car but we always had the 3rd car just sitting there. When starting the derby you can choose with your gamepad which car you like to drive. So there were our two gamepads and one keyboard player.

Can anyone tell me how to delete the 3rd car/player?!

7. XTeeManX

XTeeManX
    Expand Collapse

Once BeamMP or KissMP are finally finished and optimized I'm sure the BeamNG devs will add them in as official multiplayer. Would be easier to help BeamMP & KissMP with it than make their own.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BroZy

BroZy
    Expand Collapse

This isn't the thread to ask this. This video explains it though.

9. Noobinator_83

Noobinator_83
    Expand Collapse

God dang it you got me

10. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

I could see them acquiring beammp and implementing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BroZy

BroZy
    Expand Collapse

I think it would be better if both multiplayer dev teams and some beamng devs maybe joined together to make one good official multiplayer.

• Like Like x 1
  12. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

Maybe. Or they just acquire it like they did with traffic. It was a mod and then they implemented it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TechnicolorDalek

TechnicolorDalek
    Expand Collapse

this 'game' is developed with perfectionism in mind. network multiplayer with collision will never be anywhere near perfect until we get FTL communication! where is your hardware development division, beamng gmbh????

• Like Like x 1
  14. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

Just remember... there are still challenges to be overcome. Multiplayer was never impossible (granted a lot of people on the forums liked to harp otherwise for some reason) but making it really REALLY good and reliable... well that's the real challenge. Both the current clients seem to be pretty good, but of course I don't think anyone would argue with me when I say that its definitely not perfect.

The devs strive for perfection... where most people would say its "good enough" and throw in the towel... that is usually the point where the devs are just getting started. They kinda follow an inverse Pareto Principle. Most companies operate under 80% of the results are created by 20% of the work... so you end up with a fairly decent product in a fairly short period of time. The Beam Devs however... like I said... this is where they are just getting started and take that number and turn it on its head... they, instead, focus 80% of the work on that last 20% of the results so they can get as perfect results as they possibly can.

This is why you haven't seen an official multiplayer yet. They have looked into it... and perhaps with the new resurgence of multiplayer clients are possibly looking into it again... and even talked about the technical limitations and hurdles to be overcome. From the way they are talking about it... if they do ever get around to implementing an official version, due to compression algorithms that they have come up with for the replay system, they might be able to cut lag by up to 80% (or increase vehicles in a server I suppose) (also this is my made up number that I am guessing from some of the technical discussions, they did not say this themselves) which would obviously be great... but again... there is still more work to be done.

So... is official multiplayer coming? I will say probably... but there are a lot of technical hurdles to jump through first that must be addressed, and the dev team will not even hint at something coming until they are 135% sure it will be in the game (as they know better then to do otherwise with the way people react on these forums).

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Staff Pick Staff Pick x 1
  15. pss5156

pss5156
    Expand Collapse

Tab
    Esc
    Manage Vehicles(There probably will be one manu in circular beamng selection menu, a wrench logo)
    Delete the vehicle

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice