WIP Beta released American Road 1.91

Very large (120 sq/km, 11x11 km) map, hundreds kilometers of all types of roads. 8 GB RAM required

1. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

Doesnt load at all, like seriously, I do have 16gb of ram too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. primo3001

primo3001
    Expand Collapse

Sometimes it looks like game is crashed (no responding message), but it still works. Sometimes you just have to wait longer. Like I wrote in the description - loading can take even 4 minutes, and during that, sometimes it may look like game is crasched, but it's not.

But if the game is really crashed, maybe you need to clear your cache.

3. Gavril T85

Gavril T85
    Expand Collapse

Well, the game didn't crash but it started not responding after about 10 seconds. I waited for at least 7 more minutes and nothing happened. (I cleared the cache, too)

4. Zeeall

Zeeall
    Expand Collapse

Nice to know im not alone in this map making the game freeze when loading. As several say, it freezes totally after only a few seconds.

I let my game sit for 30 minutes and absolutely nothing happened.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sierra-3

Sierra-3
    Expand Collapse

Works perfectly here, no freezing.

This map is most excellent, I'll second most of Bob's compliments, your road layout is great, not repetitive or predictable and the map has great variety. I particularly love the hills/mountains.

Some road portions need a bit of smoothing (spikey on the sides) as well as some of the highway interconnects (need more curvature on the in/off ramps) and the terrain surrounding elevated roads.
    Also, the contrast is a bit violent with some of the dirt roads against the surrounding terrain.

Also, great reverb on some of the tunnels, it needs to be generalized to all tunnels and bridges! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

RAM SPEED matters A LOT when doing LOTS of Beamng physics, compiling LOTS of code (not as much), encoding video (lots), or zipping/unzipping files (more if it's multi-core enabled, less if it's one or two threads active).
    TEST crashboompunk did with Bananabench last summer:
    Machine 1 - i7 6900k, ddr4 2400mhz.
    Machine 2 - Ryzen 7 1700x, ddr4 2133mhz +/- 1% difference to machine 1
    Machine 2 (with bios update!) - ddr4 2933mhz + 10~12% difference, better performance than i7 with QUAD CHANNEL!

Machine 1 tested with QUAD CHANNEL memory (always) with X99 chipset and bios up to date.
    Machine 2 tested with latest bios as of 5/2016 & 7/2016, DUAL channel memory (always) with Ryzen Z370 AMD chipset.
    RAM speed increase without as much CAS LATENCY increase meant more Beamng physics computations per second, especially with more cars in the scene! Yes it matters!
    --- Post updated ---
    Does each of you only have 8gb of RAM? If you only have 8gb, you might be out of luck depending on how much your system is optimized. IT MAY BE A BUG IN THE GAME, I WAS GETTING CRASHES ON MY MAP FOR *NO REASON*, I LITERALLY ONLY MODIFIED TEXT, THEN EVEN THE UNMODIFIED VERSION WOULD *NOT* LOAD. THIS EDITION OF THE GAME IS A LITTLE BUG RIDDEN. Be patient :)
    You can try: Remove /settings folder in mydocuments/beamng.drive folder on your computer, also, clear cache, and remove all mods but say maybe your favorite car mod that you'll use this time (remove most, set them to the side like a folder on the desktop).

To the mapper --------------------------------------------------------------
    The only way to take the amount of memory needed down is to thin the trees in the forest out some. Big forest = lots of GB's needed. I found this out the hard way, did 60% of Roane County's forest, real nice and realistic, FPS wasn't too bad, - maybe 10% the worst spots in the forest areas (non-city), but I looked at RAM use - 10~12GB on MY MAP (not this!), needless to say I put out a low-RAM patch instantly, and from there I kept using just that 'low ram' edition.
    Thinning forests can help, though it will hurt realism when you fly over it. It's very time-consuming to work with multiple editions of the map forest, next to impossible if you're still doing the cities.
    The only way to do a low RAM patch on a huge map is to wait until the end, honesty, or at-least whenever the forest is done being worked on and all the houses are in.
    You don't HAVE to thin that forest one bit - it loads here fine - however, just know what causes the issues here. I would wait until you've got the map mostly done to do it, however, as it's very time consuming and easy to vacuum up your signs, rocks, and other non-trees when doing it.
    Everything that has collision in the forest brush uses up a small ram footprint, but when you have 10,000's of things on a huge map like this, it takes up quite a lot of RAM space.
    --- Post updated ---
    My piano truck loves your hill in town!
    Sure doesn't look like 19 or 20 pianos, but there are 20 pianos worth of pieces here!

#46 bob.blunderton, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

This map swallows 6GB of my ram consistently. I have 12GB. Was rather weird yesterday that trying to load the city spawnpoint it
    crashed my laptop so bad I needed to do a bunch of Windows updates to get it to even start. First time that's ever happened to me in
    this game. Fired up tonight just fine so it's probably something on my end, not to mention I am far from a PC tech.

That being said this map is definitely epic in size.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Does each of you only have 8gb of RAM? If you only have 8gb, you might be out of luck depending on how much your system is optimized.

The only way to take the amount of memory needed down is to thin the trees in the forest out some. Big forest = lots of GB's needed. I found this out the hard way, did 60% of Roane County's forest, real nice and realistic, FPS wasn't too bad, - maybe 10% the worst spots in the forest areas (non-city), but I looked at RAM use - 10~12GB on MY MAP (not this!), needless to say I put out a low-RAM patch instantly, and from there I kept using just that 'low ram' edition.
    Thinning forests can help, though it will hurt realism when you fly over it. It's very time-consuming to work with multiple editions of the map forest, next to impossible if you're still doing the cities.
    The only way to do a low RAM patch on a huge map is to wait until the end, honesty, or at-least whenever the forest is done being worked on and all the houses are in.
    Windows has been updating a lot lately and done weird things to machines so Don't necessarily blame the game, it's just when you happened to shut down or crash Windows.
    Noting 5~6gb of RAM use here not including the UI exe.
    When your Windows PC crashes out, or restarts unexpectedly, you can sometimes lose data, or just loose the ability of your PC to find the data you need (lost file fragments). A chkdsk /f on your hard drive or SSD will generally make short work on that problem (from an administrator command prompt anyways).
    The command should be run after any unplanned shutdown of the computer (power failure, game problem, OS problem, cat eating power cord, bad user error etc), especially if it acts slower loading or saving things after an unplanned shutdown.

9. MrLeRien

MrLeRien
    Expand Collapse

:mad:

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. DankMemeBunny

DankMemeBunny
    Expand Collapse

I have 16gb of ram, should be fine to load with other applications on.

11. pease

pease
    Expand Collapse

the rutted roads and dirt trails are great. Make them more bumpy though

12. Username

Username
    Expand Collapse

I had the same "Not Responding" issue when using Roane County. What I do is when it freezes, click the screen and it'll make the "not responding" box pop up. Then you can either 1) click the x or "wait for a response" and then it'll usually load after a while or 2) just let the "not responding" screen stay up until the map actually loads in.

I haven't had this issue in a while though.

13. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

How long have you been working on this map

14. Michaelflat

Michaelflat
    Expand Collapse

and more than 2gb of Video Memory too! My poor old GTX 960
    Santa pls that RX580 8GB is too good....

15. primo3001

primo3001
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure. Something around 300 - 400 hours. But it's my first map, and first mod.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

It's a nice one, and made me remember how small my 8192x8192 map is :p

It's got its issues, but its certainly better than my first map was, by far.

(Search the forums for Foothill Mines, that's my first map I ever made, and I've definitely improved since then lol)

17. Gavril T85

Gavril T85
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I have 8 GB of ram. It's probably just my other specs. :(
    (although I can run Roane County just fine)

#57 Gavril T85, Dec 17, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M
    Expand Collapse

It just crashes while loading, what does it need to be able to work?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Spiicy

Spiicy
    Expand Collapse

whOa, thats insane
    --- Post updated ---
    That is like a month of work time !
    --- Post updated ---
    350 hours is 14 days

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Well I suggest you keep plugging away at it, it's a beautiful map and I'd hate to see it not finished (I'd have to finish it, actually). I can definitely tell you have vision here. I was sure you'd have put at-least 500 hours into it - but you must work quickly or at the very least drink a LOT of coffee. Conversely my Roane County Tennessee map has WELL OVER 2500 hours into it. It had that before I even did the 2nd Kingston update. So I know what it's like to make something and make it awesome right in-front of your eyes. It's torture to not release it until it's at-least half done though. Your map worked out real nice. Surely it could use some more perfection in spots, but we'll patiently wait. If you're not sure how to do something, take a look at my maps. Lots of hacked methods, but they work!
    Don't hit the 4096 object limit. Should keep it below 4000 so that you can add mission objects one at a time in there.
    If you hit the 4096 object limit, you're done for.
    --Awesome work & I do not care if you use my resources, the map is good!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice