1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Afterfire vs. Backfire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CommandoAir, Nov 24, 2017.

1. CommandoAir

CommandoAir
    Expand Collapse

Ok so this is an extremely common mistake that I see people making all the time. As in, I've only ever seen this done the right way around like 2 or 3 times.

Afterfire - An afterfire is when fuel is burned after the combustion chamber, often causing fire to shoot out of the exhaust. This is what most people are thinking of when they say backfire. It mostly happens in high performance cars, and is a result of un-burnt fuel entering the hot exhaust system. Some of the causes of this include a rich fuel mixture, anti-lag systems, and retarded ignition timing. For the most part, afterfires are safe, and usually just a sign of high-performance engines.

Backfire - A backfire is when fuel is burned while the intake valve is still open, causing it to fire back out the intake. This is something you don't want to happen.

If you want a more detailed explanation of afterfires, Engineering Explained has a video:

Shout-out to the devs for getting this the right way around in the update notes, it's one of the only times I've seen people get it right.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  2. workclock1©

workclock1©
    Expand Collapse

This is the most informative post I have ever seen , learned something new about a afterfire

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. CommandoAir

CommandoAir
    Expand Collapse

I'm glad it helped ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice