WIP Beta released A new *CITY* map - LOS INJURUS 2023-12-20

Los Injurus 2023, now featuring 11-foot-8 bridge!

1. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Consider the 'stupid / annoying yellow-ish reflections on the old factory and some of the building windows' now FIXED. It has pested me for the last time :)

Working currently on integrating some of the commercial assets into the map. For 'reasons', they're in a directory called (drum roll please) "commercial assets"!
    If folks wish to use them in their own maps, you can't. However, you can always tell users to download my map. From there, you can spawn them in your own map readily.
    If there are problems in the future with doing so, I will see that I bribe the right staff member to fix it. Artists deserve to be paid for their work, which is why I spent 220$ on assets this month so far. I will likely have spent a little more by the end of the month for things I need between now and then. If I hand out these commercial assets like free beer, it's ripping off the artists and content creators like me, and it's also illegal (which could result in various nasty-stuffs like take-down notices and such, or someone getting SUED). Each model asset will have a watermark that will make it differ from the downloads I received from the site(s).
    You will still be able to download the map like normal, however, both public and private supporter betas. So if you just want to enjoy Los Injurus, that's still going to be all fine and dandy - in-fact there will be much more to enjoy in the future.
    So pictures of new assets should pop up throughout the week and for the remainder of the next two weeks until I release the next supporter beta.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Hey bob.blunderton, if you are planning on making street signs with people's names on them, will you please consider mine please?

3. 77x5ghost

77x5ghost
    Expand Collapse

while i'm waiting for the next update
    i've been messing around with a few of the unfinished road parts because this is the perfect map to practice map editing
    (this isn't meant to be released, i was just bored lol)

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Very slowly but very surely I'm getting closer to finishing one of the buildings I have been working on for DAYS.
    While taking exponentially longer than before, this new home features much better detail levels compared to before.
    This is more in-line with what the developers of BeamNG.Drive (and other AAA game companies) have been putting out as of late. Included is a preview shot from within the modeling software. Once I finish this one up (tomorrow?) I should be able to finish off several by the end of this weekend that all have this same 'style', just with different layouts. It's all in the details (namely, lots of very fine smoothed edges on the trim work in the 2nd shot - and not shown, but the concrete slabs also).

Attached Files:

• veryslowly_but_verysurely.png
    • allinthedetails.png
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Richi7

Richi7
    Expand Collapse

Love the map, i played the older version just fine but since the last update it just loads the map forever.
    my laptop is powerfull enough 16 gb ram 1050ti i7 7th so its not the laptop any fix plz

6. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Now normally I despise laptops trying to run BeamNG, but they're getting much better since 14nm sky lake landed in 2015~2016 or so.
    Yours is pretty good and should last many years for gaming, ruling out hardware failure of-course.
    To fix your issue, you need to go to the following folder:
    documents\beamng.drive\cache.18.?.?.?\levels
    Now select the TSH folder and press DELETE.
    Confirm that you wish to delete the folder if needed and then once it's done, proceed to enjoy BeamNG!

If by small chance that does not work, please re-download the map if possible, try not to use wireless internet unless you have to, as it's a large long download. If there's no way to avoid wireless (or no ports or cords to facilitate that), then it should do fine for the task but of-course wired will always be 'one less thing to go wrong'.

So either you have a broken file, or the cache is not matching up due to models being changed/updated.
    Your computer is just dandy, and doesn't need any upgrading. Please only use 'low' detail as I believe 'medium' might still exceed 2gb of VRAM (if that's the amount of video ram you have - this is different from system ram btw). You can however crank the mesh detail - not reflection detail - up towards the max and you should be fine - do NOT use reflections or FPS will tank hard. Shutting shadows off will be helpful to increase FPS at user discretion - but in no way required especially if you're running off the wall outlet. The reason I say use LOW texture settings is because this uses roughly 6GB of VRAM *without lots of traffic* on high. You might get away with medium though.

7. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

You'll likely be seeing this house in the map in the next day or two, as I get it's textures scripted into the game. It's a bit over 5000 poly surfaces!
    I have to script a LOT of things into the game, but I'm not going to pack all the data in at once, only as-needed. The downloaded assets were 9.x GB. Many textures will be down-sampled a bit and then compressed. I purchased high-quality textures when and where possible, so if later we all have better 8gb (or more) video boards, I can just drop them in place and run with it (or ship out a special private HD version to supporters at the end who have monster video cards).
    No, really, I could drown a 1080 Ti / 2080 Ti card with all this stuff, no joke. So I must use what I bought while keeping an eye on VRAM use (no money was wasted, however).
    In other thoughts:
    Sometimes I wonder if I'd have been better served with a 16gb-equipped Radeon VII, but it would be slower MHZ wise, and wouldn't ray trace my previews like this EVGA 2070 Super* does. Those ray tracing cores come in SUPER handy when running substance designer or doing a rendered preview in Maya - something I had little idea how much it would help until I had it installed. Sadly outside of BeamNG & modeling / texture software, I don't run AAA games much often, this GPU barely gets used... so hopefully I can get 3+ years out of this one! At-least with EVGA if you need to 'step up' a model or two in the graphics department, they'll charge you a small sum and let you do that - quite nice I think. It's louder than a hair dryer / vacuum cleaner at boot though, for a few seconds until settling down - otherwise very quiet when gaming/modeling. So after 60 days with it - fully recommended, though try to get it on sale. The 2060 Super / 2060 KO offers a much, much better bang for your buck if you're gaming at 1080p though.
    *The 2070 Super was NOT bought with Patreon income. It was split purchase between my own out-of-pocket cash and 2 youtubers. The Patreon income is reserved for software costs associated with map development / modeling, and asset purchases. I knew the old card was on it's last legs, I'd just hoped it didn't go in the same month as Chris Mess, but it did - so I had some cash tucked away just in-case.
    Really wish Nvidia had a reasonably priced 16GB graphics board though. They do not, sadly.
    My 5000 poly / ten draw-call house is below. As detailed as this is, it won't put any more burden on the map FPS than the other houses already in the map do. I spent days on it, but it's worth it. It should be a single-day matter to get about a dozen more houses out of this model, some with differing layouts, some with different colors (skinning models as it's called, like palette swapping in the NES days).
    That is all!

Attached Files:

• 5000poly_house.png
    • Like Like x 3
  8. monikas

monikas
    Expand Collapse

Wow This is really in-depth Map. Does it support ETS 2 mods?

9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

If you enjoy traffic crashes, I will post this up on here. A good 15 minute cruise around Los Injurus and making plenty of mayhem in the process.

Props to @davidinark for the awesome video - video for the rest of us, keep them coming!
    This will be posted on the resource main page when the next major update hits the repository (march/april?).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

This game and Euro Truck simulator vary wildly from one another, trying to use a mod from one will not let you use it on the other.
    You can however still drive a game-included truck and trailer around - though there's only 2 or possibly 3 loading bays currently that are trailer-height. There will be more in the future - but I cannot promise when exactly (as I'm currently working mostly residential buildings right now).
    This will be by-far the largest mod for BeamNG in GB's size, and in AI route mileage eventually (Roane County tops it in road mileage currently - for now). It's essentially going to be an entire game-world within this map the size of most AAA games.
    That's how I got started back in DEC 2015 / JAN 2016 doing little stuff like that. It's tough to get a map off the ground that works properly, but if you have a friend who can test - and can read error log files - then you have a way with enough persistence.
    Yes, I should be getting to signs sometime within the next 30 days - as with Roane County too - it's very easy to GET LOST around here (not just in my walls of text masquerading as otherwise innocent forum posts). I've had a sign made for the airport for months now and still have yet to get it modeled into the map - derp!

11. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for answering my question bob.blunderton. Also, thank you for all the effort you put into this map.

By the way, have you considered making references to shows like Family Guy or The Simpsons in this map?

• Like Like x 1
  12. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

The simpsons house is already in the map and has been since the first public release.
    I think I can put the family guy house in there too. There will be more TV-show / movie houses in there later on, that's already planned.

13. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for answering my question.

Do you have plans to put actual cartoon characters in the map?

14. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Recognizable characters appearing in my map would be IP infringement, so I cannot do that. That's a quick way to get sued. Most things like Simpsons or Family Guy are owned by 20th Century FOX media group (or whatever 'FOX' is calling itself today). They're very VERY sue-happy and protective of their IP.
    However, making a pink or orange house in the general shape / design of The Simpsons house, isn't going to cause any harm. I will be adding the Family Guy house in, too. The house from Christmas Vacation (national lampoon) will also be in at a later date, as I have a personal liking for that movie.
    This is obviously a far-from-complete list of what will go in, there will be plenty more to come, I just have to find time to make them all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

I understand. Copyright law is quite strict on what you can or can't do. If you made parodies of popular cartoon characters. That might fall under fair use, but then again. I'm not a 100% sure. If you wanted to put cartoon characters in your map. You would probably have to get permission from the companies and people that made the characters that you would want to put in your map, but even if you got permission. You would still have to get the green light from the BeamNG staff.

Anyways, I have 2 questions for you.

1. How is the hollywood house thing coming along
    2. Have you considering adding references to BeamNG forum users like me, SuperAusten64, GotNoLimbs! (who is now called GotNoSable!), etc in your map?

16. Leon_Rot

Leon_Rot
    Expand Collapse

Will there be the Home Alone House???

17. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So I got the house in (in a half-dozen different color schemes). I will be spawning similar homes with architecture alike to this one during the week, using this home (or pieces of it) as a base to build from. Not all homes will be this detailed; BUT, it's a good start (and spawn point will be at one, too).

Now while I haven't prepared the lots at all beyond slapping a rock texture down vs tall grass, I did get a few up-close detail shots:

OK so it DOES put the window and door textures to shame (those will be upgraded later as-needed, as they bug me), BUT the rest of the model says NO to muddy/blurry textures, and is nicely detailed with smoothed edges (yes, even the patio slabs are smooth-edged, though it can be hard to see until you're close).
    These home models are 'about on-par' with most AAA game models, or close, and close to some of the ones in-game. The house requires around 20 draw calls to render. That's actually pretty good for a home this detailed. Though it may not be obvious, this is why it didn't just take me 2~3 hours to build (well it didn't help I finally got a head-cold this winter - but I'm already fending it off the last few days without even doctor help - getting better).
    The stucco texture on the walls of the home is one of the textures I purchased off of CGTRADER. It is definitely a good one, better than I could have gotten free, although the one around the window/door trims is a free one (window / door textures themselves I made here, they're 'good enough for now' if a bit blurry).
    I will in due time model in-ground pools, with fences around them (they won't have 'real water' they will have faked water for FPS reasons, as you won't be readily able to interact with a pool surrounded by fences anyways), so as to complete the look better. I have some landscaping bushes I will try to get modeled in after the beta - but admittedly it's taken me so much scripting time to get all this stuff even started to get in, that I'm going to have to scramble and get a lot more done if I want something worth of showing during the next supporter beta. That being said, more areas will get 'grassed in' as I've been doing in the mean-time so the map will look better no matter what.
    That's all for right now.
    --- Post updated ---
    (almost) Completed one of the lots here, just one picture, but gives you an idea of how it should look.

• Like Like x 8
  18. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Hey bob.blunderton. I've noticed a dead end in this map.

screenshot_2020-02-20_11-15-56.png

Have you considered putting dead end signs or end state maintenance signs in this map?

19. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

'No Maintenance' 'Travel at own risk' sign is planned.
    That road is currently unfinished but will be finished at a later date (never mind the rough early stage it's in!).
    When the area around it is more complete, and I have a better idea of the spare 'FPS BUDGET' that I have left, I will add more to that road.
    I don't want to build up the non-obligatory area around the city and having nothing left to do the city, after-all.

I have been using monster-sized stop signs at the end of 'completed' sections of road to mark the area where it's incomplete or not able to be properly traveled by vehicles. They're also in areas where I've re-shaped the map (a few over by the dirt track and just past it), and haven't gotten the time to complete it yet.

NEXT SUPPORTER BETA IS GOING OUT 26TH~28TH.
    Lost a little time due to health issues (I feel like my warranty has expired lately), and LOTS of time getting textures/models scripted in (or created), replacing textures, etc. Only pushed it back about 3 days here, but ah well, just being clear about my intentions. Also, my data cap refreshes on or about the 26th, so then I can upload it quicker in the space of 30~60 minutes (otherwise it takes an entire day and or night).
    Download will obviously be a few hundred MB more than last time, but hopefully I'll get most of my 'place holder' textures removed within the next 30 days!
    I will try to keep the VRAM size requirement below 8GB for MAX texture detail, for the duration of map testing. Just keep in mind a pack of 4~5 textures can quickly eat 300mb without a second thought, sometimes more. Once this map is mostly feature complete, if I feel there is detail and such to be gained by going over 8GB of VRAM required, I will possibly make an OPTIONAL HD TEXTURE PACK, at the end. Until cards featuring more than 8gb of VRAM are common (and not limited to 1080Ti/2080Ti/Titan/RadeonVII/Vega64 SE cards), I will not make having over 8gb of VRAM a requirement for max detail (think: 2 years at-least?).
    I WILL want performance feedback on the next beta, compared to the last beta etc, to make sure it's not beating anyone's PC up unexpectedly.

One new asphalt texture goes a long way. With the use of a diffuse (visible / color map), specular, normal, and a detail texture, this boring parking lot looks a whole lot better. This is just one of the many fuzzy or otherwise imperfect textures I'm working on switching out for something better.
    While this parking lot looks 'okay' now, I will remove it's mesh-based surface and replace it with terrain-based surface for better usability & more professional look.
    Some more variations of the nice Spanish-style home I made have been completed and will be in the next beta. More than the 3 variations (total) that are complete (not counting the texture / palette swap stuff) might find their way into the next version, too.
    I am not sure if new spawns will make the next beta or not, it'll be close though.
    Signs are being worked on, I will TRY to get at-least some of them in.

That is all.

• Like Like x 3
  20. 95Crash

95Crash
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the information bob.blunderton. I can't wait for the "No Truck" and "No Maintenance, Travel at own risk" signs :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice