1. Stuck or having problems creating your mod?

WIP A new *CITY* map - LOS INJURUS

Discussion in 'Terrains, Levels, Maps' started by bob.blunderton, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Shotgun Chuck

Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

Oh that reminds me, I have a heck ton of pictures I took of the terminal exteriors at TSAIA and then never bothered to send you.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NOCARGO

NOCARGO
    Expand Collapse

:)

I believe the word 'Gangway' has more origins in the marines environment, like those stairs connecting ships
    with the quayside.

3. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

That is correct. If you look up the word on a search engine, that's what you'll see exactly - as I did also. I had to do some digging to get the more common names and the commercial name of those.
    Thank-you for the info there.

I think I will be using metal panels* on the side of the concourse buildings, as many airports do. I believe Atlanta uses formed sheet steel, common on pole-barns/commercial buildings (they're often called 'pole barns' too by construction guys for some reason). You'll see a picture of what I speak of in the example picture on the post about Jet Ways that I made yesterday.
    I don't have a texture for this but I can make it with ease using a grid + steel texture. Will also overlay some wear textures on the building where appropriate so it's not so new and fresh (same for the terminal after I get the concourses done).
    Then I must do the taxi/runways and then I will push out a beta. No sense sending the airport beta out half-done with no runways, what good will it be (the parking lot will have rough roads done and be plotted out but may not get finished until after the beta).
    I will also be putting fuel tanks, hangars (might use Italy's hangars for right now as a place-holder?), service out-buildings etc, but not sure if that'll be pre-beta or post-beta (the next beta that is).
    *If I don't like my metal tile / panels texture, I'll go with sheet steel. It's not that much different. It's cheap and fairly low-maintenance either way and that's what airport exteriors need to be. Generally terminal buildings have a nicer facade then concourses.

Also, I put another ATX power supply in the computer for now, it's the one I swiped out of the AMD machine. It'll do the trick until I get this other one sent in. Sure enough my 3.3v rail is now 3.3v and not 3.1~2.9v (which is why I had some issues here).
    *I checked my 0.16.x game version, still doesn't run right. Will keep using 15.x until the developers fix it. The map runs regardless if you use 15.x or 16.x.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Just thought I'd show a very early concept of what the concourse buildings will look like. I found a texture on the ETK map, that with minimal modification (some, but only 10~15 minutes worth of modification) I was able to make it just what I needed. This is the metal tiles texture for the exterior of the building.
    So while it's very simple yet & it still needs it's jet-bridge things, and many many other props; I will be working hard to make this it's own slice of awesome. Trying to keep the same style/theme of the terminal building for cohesiveness and consistency (and also immersion).
    I asked one of the resident flyers on this website to see if he can source me a large commercial jet for scale on here, so I can get the jet bridges some semblance of the correct height. I'd also like to add some for props, too.
    Beta will ship out as soon as I get the runways / taxi-ways in enough to use (as an airport without runways is useless, and the concourses will be in where the existing runways are already).

Attached Files:

• concourse_keep_it_simple_stupid.png
    • Like Like x 1
  5. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

What takes so long to make this city?
    Making it RIGHT, and to the specifications I can find.
    For example, Jet Bridges / Passenger Boarding Bridges (PBB's)...
    https://www.adelte.com/downloads/passenger-boarding-bridges-adelte.pdf
    (link above is for specs on PBB's from one manufacturer, it is safe-for-work)
    Sure I could just import a container and re-texture it and make the end-part round a bit for the rotunda. It's not like that though, it's not that easy. I have to find the specs, and make it THE RIGHT WAY. I do a lot of this - especially when it comes to infrastructure (roads/bridges/ports), buildings, and so-forth.

It's all in the details, all those stinkin' details, even down to the road reflectors themselves on the one highway kit.
    I will be quite busy on the concourses tonight, so do expect some pictures in the next few days. Maybe I'll finally have this place looking like an Airport soon.
    Don't worry though, there will be PLENTY OF JUMPS for those who just want to drive around the Airport grounds and/or can't fly to save their hide (like me!).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Captain. Adam

Captain. Adam
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if the entire interstate highway system will look like this,

or will you make something like this in some specific locations?

7. Shotgun Chuck

Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

I can't speak for Bob but I can say that in terms of pure personal preference I would prefer as much of the freeway to have outright hard dividers as possible.

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Your Ireland road example is close but with the solid white / solid yellow lines swapped.
    Most all of the highways are done complete in custom-made textures (except the Jersey Barrier texture, and one style of blank asphalt).
    Some of the highway has Jersey barrier, some has 30-foot dirt/stone median with no divider. Some is new & buttery-smooth, some is old worn and a tad uneven (the left lane is always smoother than the right due to truck weight damage shifting & cracking slabs).
    The highways style in the first picture even has 3d reflectors built in, for all lane-lines and also the bridge barriers.
    Highways have a wide variety of textures, width / lane amount, and a complete assortment of interchanges from Cloverleafs to Diamond to Jug-handle, Texas-U-Turn with separate distributor/collector alignments, and even an all-way Flyover near the new airport (most complicated one every built by myself). Some junctions are so complicated that I don't even know what you'd call them anymore besides 'AHHHH! GET ME OUTTA HERE!'...
    For the regulars in this thread, THESE ARE NOT 'NEW' PICTURES, these existed in the last beta or two, but are here for highway examples to demonstrate the highway variety.

There are about or slightly over 50 miles of highway (limited-access high-speed routes with no cross-traffic or stop lights) here, not counting either side separately (a 1-mile long bidirectional highway counts as ONE mile NOT TWO). With over 50 unique miles of highway, you will find yourself quite at home, with little to want beyond signage and a good map.
    Please pardon the unfinished look of some of the map, as obviously it's still a work-in-progress.
    I will have to pipe some of these over to the 1st post, as it's quite out-of-date - will get to that this week once I get the airport together more.

--That is all!

EDIT: Stupid Hurricane Barry - the hurricane may have died down a bit, but we're sure going to get one heck of a deluge here in Tennessee. Glad I live at 1900 feet above sea-level!

• Like Like x 4
  9. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

So in other news, I've been working on my Concourse building for the civilian airport - gotten it to where I need it. It will be *HUGE*. Keep in mind there will be several concourse buildings, all roughly similar (only the closest LOD's will be textured a bit different when you're up close, this way they might batch better, then no FPS hit more than one would generally do at mid-distance). Planning about 5~6 concourse buildings here. Yes, really, this thing is going to be *huge*. That's what's taking me so long. That and Maya running out of 8GB of video memory, when I've only used 100~200MB in textures MAX (with only about 60MB worth in the scene including the scene objects). Derp. That makes me have to shut it down and reboot it every half hour, mashing CTRL+S while dismissing the never-ending constantly recurring dialog box that says '8GB of video memory isn't enough because WE SUCK!' (but support will tell you it's your fault). Grrrr...
    So I managed to find something I *NEEDED* for the airport, an actual AIR PLANE so ya'know I can make sure this whole thing isn't for naught after-all.
    Too bad it's a FIVE THOUSAND DRAW CALL plane - that's more than just about anywhere in the middle (or the edge) of my city, and about what 'Downtown Harriman' in Roane County is (and why it was always slow there). That's also roughly what West Coast USA is in the worst of spots hovering in free-cam over the town (and why it goes slow unless you have a 5ghz CPU).
    So I shall be spending the evening sorting this aircraft. Thank the guy who makes the air-worthy aircraft on here for me, for telling me where to find one. It comes via the DUNSFOLD map. I will completely re-do texturing on the model so it's better suited toward this game. I will make sure that before this hits servers that the aircraft is legit and good to go as-per permissions.
    As-per draw calls, my entire airport TERMINAL building MIGHT be a few dozen draw calls - though I'd be surprised if it's over 25~30 - and the concourse building is <10 draw calls currently without the Passenger Boarding Bridges yet or other like-props including even things like air handlers (those will be 1~2 total draw calls for all of them).
    Included a shot of the concourse building (again without it's passenger boarding bridges, as I needed the aircraft to make sure they're spaced right) with all of it's UV's (texture surfaces) lined up nice & pretty - yes that took a good half day or more just to line everything up just so. The metal tile texture common to fancy commercial buildings is very similar to what is on the ETK Driver's Training map buildings in spots - that's where the texture comes from and has had minimal modification. I *WAS* going to use the roll-up door textures from there, too, but they're only 256x256 resolution - what is this - Quake? C'mon even original DOOM had 128x256 resolution (Though, to be fair, original Doom / Doom II was limited to textures 128 pixels tall) :x Sheesh... I've got better ones any-who.
    I likely will be up all night doing this stuff, so who knows, maybe some in-game shots within a few days should be in order... time will tell, schedule is kind-of random right now.
    *Edit: That's a 747 by the way, from best of my knowledge.

Attached Files:

• Meet_the_5000_draw_call_plane.png
    • moreconcourse.png
    • Like Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice