On Hold '67-'72 Gavril Hawk

Discussion in 'Land' started by Bakasan, Apr 3, 2023.

1. Nacho Problem

Nacho Problem
    Expand Collapse

You are mistaken, It is not based on the opel Rekord but instead the opel commodore, the 6 cylinder version of the rekord that was also sold here

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. corvette81

corvette81
    Expand Collapse

Ah that makes sense, its hard to keep track of them all :D

3. Boris The Blehd

Boris The Blehd
    Expand Collapse

Love seeing the progress you are making with this car. Great to see some Aussie representation in beam!

• Like Like x 1
  4. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

Fun fact, the Opel only started developing their Commodore C after they saw Holden sticking the Senator front end on the Rekord body, so he is kind of correct saying the Rekord E was first.

the only problem I have with the name "Hawk" is that we already have the "Moonhawk", It's like if Ford unveiled the The Thunderbird then GM went "that's cool, let's call our new car the Pontiac Bird :cool:"

My other suggestion is sticking with the whole upload_2023-4-21_17-41-37.png name thing, so maybe some other bird name, a list of Australian bird names brings up a couple of good ones: Bronzewing, Bushlark, Brolga, and Booby.
    or you could follow Pontiac's advice and call it the Gavril Bird

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Leo Zieger

Leo Zieger
    Expand Collapse

6. Boris The Blehd

Boris The Blehd
    Expand Collapse

Pontiac Firebird, Sunbird?

7. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Lol yeah, it is a shame that the Chryselrs were never more successful, I really do love the chargers, and the idea of a 6 cylinder muscle car in general

And if you think the 186 in a Torana is bad then you would love the V8 model that was planned before the supercar scare, sopposedly so overpowered it literally twisted the frame to the point the windshield broke :p and for the record pretty much any car of that era is a deathtrap so I wouldn't be so harsh on the Torana (plus I would rather be dead in a Holden than alive in a Ford;);):p:p)
    Thanks, appreciate the kind words:)
    Okay, I am officially renaming this to the 1967-1972 Gavril Booby

:p:p:p:p

But for real I literally realised after I had chosen the name Hawk that it might clash with Moonhawk xdd
    But honestly I don't really see it as an issue
    Firstly there are plenty of cars in real life with similar names (Thunderbird, Firebird, Superbird, Sunbird ect... the big three all have their birds so why not hawks for the Beamverse?:p)
    Secondly the Moonhawk is a mid/late 70s car (which we don't know when the first generation started), so it is possible the Gavril Hawk entered production before the Bruckell Moonhawk (meaning they would be the copycats lol)
    And finally my 'lore friendly' cars will not strictly conform to BeamNG lore, purely because I do need to have some creative freedom and don't want to be restricted because of some decision Gabster made on a whim several years ago:p
    Which leads me onto the 'B' thing, I purposely ignored this because coming up with a name is hard enough as it is, let alone when it has to start with a 'B'. Plus later Gavril models like the Grand Marshal, and it is not exactly clear when or why Gavril decided to ditch the B naming scheme....

So to at least make this Hawk (and future 60s/70s non B Gavril models plausible) I created a bit of lore myself a while back;)

January 26, 1959: Several Gavril executives from the US travel to Australia to discuss the name to be announced for their new compact sedan. The American marketing team, contempt with their ritual of using the letter B to name their vehicles, proposed the new for '60 Gavril Booba. Initially negotiations were going smoothly, that was until the head executive of Gavril's Australian division, Darren Smith (or DAAZZZAAAAAA, as the division affectionalely referred to him as) came back from smoko after drinking 558 VBs and eating several meat pies (and maybe a wombat) said to the American team "there is no way we are naming a car after a woman's bouncy bits now name it properly you stunts" and thus the Hawk was born :)
    (Darren's original quote may have also contained several naughty words that will not be mentioned here)

So yeah, I think Gavril Hawk is here to stay:)

oh and todays progress, booleaned the gauge dials to the dash, results are pretty good
    upload_2023-4-21_19-5-51.png
    topology is a bit messy (because merging circles and squares is hell) but shading works fine so no worries:cool:

• Like Like x 11
  8. catchow1977

catchow1977
    Expand Collapse

im thinking that the moonhawk started production in 1961 like the real cutlass

9. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

Ah now the 186 in the GTR guise was actually quite a nice and tractable engine, smooth and powerful(for is size, and the 202 was the bad engine). I simply cannot believe that holden engineers could possibly have thought that a hot 308 in a little Opel body was any where sane, even an acquaintance of mine who incidentally was a Chrysler engineer here in Australia (after finishing his apprenticeship in America) from 1966 to 1978 thought they had all to much coke that day in the design rooms after hearing about it. Now as an experienced Torana Owner/operator i think i can quite rightly be very harsh on them, and your judgement on all old cars being deathtraps is a bit wrong, if my Valiant wasnt built the way it was then i might not have survived that 45mph crash (without a collapsible steering column and frayed seat belts) considering that if the bumper hadnt slipped underneath their car then the frame (or lack of) would have crumbled, snapped, and bent, sending the steering box, column and wheel to take my head off at probably a speed of 40mph. Oh wait now it sounds as if i just described my car as a deathtrap :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. catchow1977

catchow1977
    Expand Collapse

on the contrary it sound like your car if it did not have the safety features in place it would be a death trap but so would all cars but since it does have the safety features it is safe

11. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

I dont think you got the humor... but anyways the point is that my car literally only has a two seat belts as crash protection, it doesnt have a collapsible steering column, or recessed controls, or properly sorted floor pan to prevent the seat from ripping out, or adequate dash padding, etc etc. There is really nothing safe about my car in terms of crash protection whatsoever, or any old car for that matter. Now sorry Bakasan i feel bad for being completely off topic in your thread

• Like Like x 1
  12. bluebguy1653

bluebguy1653
    Expand Collapse

this looks like a chevy chevette

13. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Nah it's all good :p It is always nice to share this kind of knowledge, which may come in handy for this, or perhaps other future projects:) so long as the posts dont simply consist of stuff like "hurr durr rename to Bruckell Toilet" or "make it look like a "1974 BMW 120d" then I don't really mind, everyone is free and to contribute to the thread:oops:
    well they are both GM products with similar design language, but that is about where the similarities end...

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nacho Problem

Nacho Problem
    Expand Collapse

hes probably reffering to the Brazilian chevette!

15. SemKill

SemKill
    Expand Collapse

wait, thats is a Chevy Opala from Brazil, even the Plate is from a brazilian website
    --- Post updated ---
    yeah this car is very popular in brazil, is like a AE86 because it is RWD

16. bluebguy1653

bluebguy1653
    Expand Collapse

yea
    --- Post updated ---
    you watched the donut media video?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marky1

Marky1
    Expand Collapse

Will this have a facelift?

18. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

True, totally forgot about those, even then my point still stands, the Chevette is t-car based so aside form sharing GM's design language it has nothing in common with the Record/Senator:p
    and on the subject I do quite like that 2door sedan body type, the t-car based Gemini we got in Australia (and that was sold in Japan) only ever came in sedan or fastback bodies

If I had infinite free time it would be fun to a lore friendly t-car platform. I would likely just do the major markets like Japan, US and Australia, and let the connunity finish it off with other global markets:p
    yeah they are great little cars, I should know as I have owned one:p albeit in very bad condition lol

layout wise it is practically identical to a 64 Miramar so with a decent tune and engine they are super fun to drive:cool:

That is the plan yes, the model you see me making now will likely be 69-70, 71-72 will feature different grille design and taillights, and a similar story with the 67-68, though that will probably also different front and rear sheetmetal, and maybe a slightly different dashboard

• Like Like x 1
  19. Marky1

Marky1
    Expand Collapse

w
    what cars have you ever owned?

20. Nacho Problem

Nacho Problem
    Expand Collapse

The main market for the T-Car was europe with the opel kadett i'd say...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice