WIP Beta released 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Update 0.9.1

Discussion in 'Land' started by Goosah, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Re: 1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

Essentially my car is all hatch based jbeam with the exception of the suspension_R, so each jbeam file has the same scaling it originally did.

Do I have to make the scaling in the suspension_R jbeam match the other jbeams?

Or are you saying the scaling in the main jbeam automatically applies to all the other jbeams?

2. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Yes, it's possible that that's the source of the problem. Replace the D15 values with Covet ones and see what happenes.

Also note that some jbeams can have more than one scale parameters throughout the jbeam. As I recall, some suspension jbeams have repeated scale parameters in the brakes or something like that. Anyway, either make sure they cohere with the other parameters, or simply remove them which will reset them to the parent values at the beginning. note that this may cause problems, I can't remember exactly if you can simply remove them so easily)

3. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

What happens? It fixes all the instability problems! As soon as you said it, it made sense, its the one thing that could address all my symptoms! Time to figure out slidenodes next!

#43 Goosah, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Just remove all scale values from your .jbeams except for the master .jbeam file (it will apply the scaling to all parts). Eventually we will code a way to "bake in" the scaling and remove the scaling entirely (since it's quite problematic).

5. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

^^^Done!^^^

I have slidenode struts! 12in wheels and positive camber F yeah!

edited: Posted a bunch of complaining about the car exploding all the time, reinstalled the game due to another issue and now all is well :)

#45 Goosah, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  6. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Glad to here! I'm loving this car. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

mesh 65 good.jpg

Tri Count is about 28k for what you see here... I think that's pretty sparse? Just a few more things for the exterior geometry, but I am not quite sure how to do them. The grill is currently a flat geometry. I am thinking of doing an insane high poly to bake normal and spec? As the grille is quite fine and complicated:

IMG_2914.jpg
    The grille shown is quite faded, the elevated parts are supposed to be pollished, with the recesses painted black.

The other issue is badges. Badges of this vintage are a cast chrome plated pot metal and very detailed like so:

_DSC0020.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

To replicate this with pure geometry and a chrome finish would be very graphics intensive, especially considering there is already a ton of chrome on this car (The moonhawks bumpers kill my fps, and I'm thinking its the chrome). Any thoughts or examples to how this has been tackled before?

8. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

Chrome is not FPS-intensive whatsoever, and geometry is cheap. I'd texture it, but you could model it too. Normal maps are very powerful. The lag from the Moonhawk's bumpers is purely physics.

9. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Glad to see you got this in game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Personally, I would model the grille rather than a flat model with a texture/normal map, you can tell the difference...

For the badges, both modeling them and using an alpha map would work well

11. Rwarcards762

Rwarcards762
    Expand Collapse

Loving how this is coming, keep up the good work!

12. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Any updates?

13. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Not really, been working hard on the real version instead! I did make the rear axle, engine block, and struts, but tbh probably won't get back to it until the fall.

14. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

1969 Toyota Corolla Sprinter

Alright, good luck with the real version

15. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Well, progress has been happening slowly on the real car... you think making a mod takes lots of hours... heres the bodyshell after perhaps 1000 hours of rust repair, accident repair and bodywork over 3 years:
    DSC_3120.JPG

But I've played a little bit with the model too. Made a quick replica of the Toyota t50 transmission, as well as the rear axle, leaf springs, struts. The jbeam is still very rough and causing distortion of the flexbodies, and obviously I've just applied materials to polygons here, no texturing yet. It does go, stop, and turn. I'm pretty happy with the rear axle and the front strut jbeam, but theres a funny effect where the suspension gets loaded down when steering towards full lock. I plan on getting serious with the jbeams and flexbody grouping stuff next. Doesn't make sense to start texturing until I'm really set on the mesh details.

Screenshot 2014-10-08 01.08.01.jpg

Screenshot 2014-10-08 01.08.11.jpg

16. Lonnonzzombies

Lonnonzzombies
    Expand Collapse

Great to see you still working on this!

Real car looks sexy too :3

17. Blockman

Blockman
    Expand Collapse

Im so glad your still working on this beautiful car! :D

18. cuytastic101

cuytastic101
    Expand Collapse

Great job on the model, it looks great!

However. That IRL project. DAYUM!!!! That body is straighter and paint shinier than when it left the factory! 0.0

19. Goosah

Goosah
    Expand Collapse
    Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Well, I spent much of the day fighting with MAX. He and I are not the best of friends. Back when I started modelling the car, I messed up the units, making a car that was 3800m long! I thought no big deal, I'll just scale it. Well, max always seems to remember what scale it used to be, so moving between views, zooming in, z clipping, lighting, all seem to get messed up by this fact even after xforms applied. I think I will be learning something else for the next car I do. I hate patchy dinosaur software!

As far as progress, I have decided to narrow my focus to recreating the 100% stock version of the car, rather than my personal frankenstein build. I think BeamNG is the perfect engine to capture the essence of this car. Although I like the car, I have to admit, in stock form, it's not very good by any metric (much like a VW Beetle). Its slow, its dainty, its always on the defense in modern traffic. Travelling over 100km/h is terrifying, and a stop from such speeds can only be accomplished once, requiring all the drivers leg strength to overcome fade on the unboosted drum brakes. I have theorized that if the car had any more top speed, it would burn its brakes out before ever reaching a stop! And if you do manage to hit something, good luck. Brand new safety features for 1969 included a collapseable steering column, rear seat belts, and optional shoulder belts (you can unclip them from the lap belt!!). Weighing in at around 1600lb with no door bars, cabin reinforcement, or crash structure of any kind, YOU are the crumple zone.

Along those lines, so far I have:

Narrowed the rear track to 49" and shrunken the differential housing to reflect the puny 6" ring gear.

Raised the ride height to factory stance.

Started new struts from scratch to reflect the exact geometry, as measured from the real thing.

Replicated the stock 12x4.5in steel wheels with rather simple 8" chrome hubcaps. The tire model will be a thin whitewall bias ply 145r12.

mesh66frontside.jpg mesh66frontsusp.jpg mesh66bottom.jpg

#59 Goosah, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  20. Bakasan

Bakasan
    Expand Collapse

Looking excellent! Making it to factory spec is a good move, as you can always modify the car using the parts systems. It would be nice to have a lot of tuning parts for this (i.e some AE86 components) to make it a serious track car. Either way, it shall be a lot of fun ^_^

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice