1. This section is for official content brought to you by BeamNG. Please keep the discussion civil and posts constructive to avoid spam. Posts disregarding these guidelines may be removed without any notice.
    Dismiss Notice

1953 Burnside Special

Discussion in 'Official Content' started by gabester, Jul 5, 2014.

1. DriftinCovet1987

DriftinCovet1987
    Expand Collapse

YES. So much this. This has been something that's annoyed me for a long while - as much as I like the Burnside, I can't help but think that a 4-bbl carb for the 313 would be a fantastic (and very easy) top-of-the-line addition to the stock engine. Most of the extra power the Burnside's 423 produces is wasted already by burnouts, spin-outs, short gears, and the 4-speed transmission. I highly doubt that a 170-180 hp 4-bbl 313 would be any worse than a base 423 for anything outside of drag racing, and it would be a lot faster on windy courses and mountain passes by being much easier to drive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CaptainZoll

CaptainZoll
    Expand Collapse

I've notied that a 15x12 version of the alder sporter wheels have been added in one of the more recent updates. I think they seem to suit a 50's drag car really well, suggesting to me that the burnside might get overhauled at some point in the near future.
    Even if it's not in the pipeline yet, when this inevitably does get overhauled, parts such as a 4-link rear suspension, front beam axle, ans well as radiused rear wheel arches and a fibreglass front clip on the existing drag config would make for an awesome gasser, and would make the existing drag config much more usable and interesting.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this also gets the bluebuck engine mesh, as the textures also have options for burnside and bruckell valve covers. I would suspect that this would be the ideal time for them to add a 4-barrel carb.
    Also, hardtop doors would go really well with a higher-end trim, or even a possible facelift, considering how frequently american manufacturers in this era restyled their cars. A period-correct nascar config would also be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Well if we are going to do a list of community suggestions like the D-Series thread had going...

I wouldn't stop at just a hardtop, it deserves the full the 2/4 door hardtop/pillared treatment as much as the Bluebuck did. Speaking of body styles, we still do not have passenger car body styles that change the silhouette, but the D-Series unibody-on-frame gives me hope that we might someday. That turns the D-Series into a passenger car, so... Maybe... I can dream. In which case, a wagon is the obvious request. There's a fair number of other body styles that could work, but the wagon is the important one.

One of the many suggestions I make over and over is an "if it fits it ships" engine swap system. It's just one of those things that would be a lot of fun, and it also feels necessary considering the approach the game takes to car customization. We have a car game with massive vehicle customization potential while cars like the 200BX only have a single engine option... This applies to the Burnside more than most thanks to the Cuban's tendency of putting really weird engines into cars like this. I'm all for seeing an optional vintage Ibishu i4 engine with a marine turbo bolted to it.

Speaking of engines, it needs at least one interesting engine. At this time Chrysler just came out with the Hemi, Lincoln just discontinued their V12 and Ford was about to discontinue their flathead, and Hudson had the Twin H-Power.

I'll probably never stop asking for more vehicle content, but one non-racing omission from the Burnside's options that really surprises me is a sun visor. They are common sight on cars like these and it's honestly more than a bit weird not having one.

I think a Gavril version of the '53 Special would be fair. I would also like to see a rare car, whether it be a unicorn test bed or a marque above Burnside, that takes some inspiration from of the stranger cars of this era. Between the Tucker 48 and some Lincoln models there's no shortage of quirks to take inspiration from.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Feel like the 313 is a bigger version of Gavril's new-for-1953 291, which would find it's way into the Bluebuck and eventual Barstow.
    The gavril model would have different lights and an eggcrate grille instead of the classic burnside loopy-thing grille.
    also go me flathead 6

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

One could theoretically make their own Gavril equivalent by using the extra grilles and alternate taillights in .noaku's Burnside Super Special Coupe mod. Other than that I don't think it's really necessary.

6. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

I just feel like there's gotta be some differentiation, considering that Burnside is (probably) a mercury-like badge-engineering subsidiary of Gavril it'd only make sense.

7. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

Badge-engineered versions of cars, while abundant in real life, should be relegated to mods in BeamNG. If they were included it would further clutter the already-crowded vehicle/config selector, and bring up the question of how to have two basically identical vehicles in different slots (or, if they were under one slot, what that slot would be named). The Gavril Hopper, Beaufort Kite, and more potential badge engineering mods should be plenty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Oh that's what I meant! I was hoping someone would take up that project (Maybe me when i'm not lazy as fuck) and do it, yeah we dont need badge engineering in vanilla beam.
    Beaufort kite? TF is that?

9. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

I don't see why more vehicle content is a bad thing...

New grilles, trim, interior, engines, cheapter/rarer options for career mode gameplay. I see a lot of reasons to want them and the only reason not to is the UI shortcomings, which will hopefully be fixed in the new UI.

The idea that modders should take up the slack for official content is on par with microtransactions for me in terms of how not to make a game.

#469 ManfredE3, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. austen64

austen64
    Expand Collapse

https://www.beamng.com/resources/gavril-hopper.2109/
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/1988-1991-beaufort-kite.3414/
    Also these, even though they would never exist in real life:
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/bruckell-road-cruiser.2565/
    https://www.beamng.com/resources/bruckell-reedbuck.2600/

11. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

12. Belvedere58

Belvedere58
    Expand Collapse

I'm just dying for an update/expansion to this one. It has SO much potential. Cars in the 1950s had a massive options list. Plus, this is a 1953 and the Bluebuck is a 1962---we're missing the completely insane late 1950s era styling. I'd love for there to be a 1957-1959 version of either this or the Bluebuck (though probably the Bluebuck is closer to what was around in the late 1950s, as GM's X-frame came out in 1957 for the 1958 model year).

Tail fins, wrap around glass, chrome, bullet tail lights, tri-tone paint jobs, jet-inspired interiors, big engines with multiple carburetors, superchargers, or fuel injection as factory options...there would be so much to work with.

• Agree Agree x 6
  13. GotNoSable!

GotNoSable!
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

"Tri-Carb 313 cube V-8 with a FletchCo. Supercharger and a three speed auto transmission. It's got six bullet lights out back, 800 pounds of chrome, massive canted batwing fins, a sliding metal sunroof, and air suspension. The '59 Super Special." <-- Idk i kinda just made this for no reason.

• Like Like x 3
  14. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

Yes, very "cough" faulty "cough" good fuel injection, may I suggest a Bendix electric injection (I forgot the name) system

15. Cilria

Cilria
    Expand Collapse

It would be nice,but it not needed right now they have many more vehicles in need of a revamp also we have way too many old car's in game.

16. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

I don't think a simple Gavril rebadge would be a good idea - back in the 1950s, the cars of a low-priced brand like Gavril and a midrange brand like Burnside would have been separated from each other, with relatively little part commonality.

And a Tucker-style car also doesn't hold up - mainstream luxury cars, whether it was Cadillacs, Lincolns, Chrysler Imperials or Packards, were more conservative. Besides, my experience on classic American car Facebook groups shows that people who like old American cars (including me) prefer more traditional engineering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. combatwombat96

combatwombat96
    Expand Collapse

look at Mercury and Ford for the early '50s and the lowest price Dodges and Plymouths for the late part. But yeah no badge engineering now, just to much clutter for vehicle selector and why have more of the same thing too

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

The Burnside Special seems to be a more expensive car than a cheaper Mercury or Dodge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ManfredE3

ManfredE3
    Expand Collapse

Ford Crestline/Mercury Montery/Lincoln Capri were all rather similar.
    upload_2020-1-4_10-27-19.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_10-27-36.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_10-28-9.jpeg

And I never said a "Tucker style car". At all. All I said was have a rare version with some quirks borrowed from quirky contemporary cars. Example: Suicide doors (pic below of factory suicide doors on a Lincoln), unique engine, advanced saftey features, etc...
    upload_2020-1-4_10-48-30.jpeg
    --- Post updated ---
    More engines, trim, interior options, hoods/bumpers, add to the story, add options varying in price/rarity for the player to have in career mode, if the new UI is any good then there wouldn't be any clutter anyway... All of that sounds good to me.

Apply that logic to the rest of the vehicle content. No unecessary configs, only ones that serve a function. No more vehicle content than what is required. Doesn't sound very fun.

Examples of why I want marque versions of cars. Look at the pic of the Icon derelict I posted with my suggestion post. The front end is off of a different car, front end swaps would be awesome for those of us that enjoy customization and content.

Then look at the 1970's GM A platform. You could get traditional styling from the Chevy's or a pointy pontiac. Imagine that with a Bruckell/Soliad Moonhawk.
    upload_2020-1-4_10-42-36.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_10-42-58.jpeg
    Or the Cadillac Corvette.
    upload_2020-1-4_10-43-54.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-4_10-44-16.jpeg

Same platform, different engine and body work. I don't see how giving marques content is bad in any way.

#479 ManfredE3, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MrAnnoyingDude

MrAnnoyingDude
    Expand Collapse

Visually. These cars don't even share a common wheelbase or engine.

What unique engine or safety features? The 1950s American luxury car was a rather conventional affair, where most of the engineering went into design and making the traditional blend of features offer more than the competition.

As for the Lincoln, it was a bit of a dud and not much of a representative example.

The Monte Carlo and LeMans didn't even share the same wheelbase, let alone the bodywork, interior and engine.

The problem is getting a car that is basically the same as one that already exists, while having to rework basically the entire bodywork and much of the powertrain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice