1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

0.24 feedback :)

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Dec 5, 2021.

1. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

Not to be rude, but in what way?

2. fivedollarlamp

fivedollarlamp
    Expand Collapse

I've noticed that the engine textures for the Pessima look sort of muddy
    screenshot_2021-12-08_17-06-10.png screenshot_2021-12-08_17-05-04.png
    Here's the Pessima's air filter compared with the ETK I-Series', for example

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

I got this game for $15, back when I was running a Core 2 Duo MacBook... In the time since, I have seen the devs work hard to make this something more than a cool car crash simulator. I have seen my fair share of bugs with v24, however the improvements have all been worth it. Take all the time you need to fix bugs, re write code and introduce new features. Those of us who have been around since the beginning will continue to wait.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. P_enta

P_enta
    Expand Collapse

how did you run this on a MacBook

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. JZStudios

JZStudios
    Expand Collapse

What I don't understand, as this post is mainly focused on it, is why it took over the release schedule entirely. They skipped a release window for a bigger update to include this in a fashion they apparently still aren't happy with. Why didn't they keep the same schedule they had been with a remastered map and car roughly every season with the map overview and UI being at some future update? They skipped a window with little to no communication so they *must* be working on something new and big right? Well, no... not really. The map is cool, it gets me to interact with missions which I couldn't be bothered with before, but nothing is "new" and it isn't complete either. Could they not add in the remastered stuff without needing to fix it later or something? He still says they need to redo pretty much all of it. Why couldn't they separate the content and release the map overview in spring maybe?

As you mentioned, there's a lot of half finished stuff in game, not even just from a technical standpoint, it feels like there's no roadmap or general direction for the game to go. If they're going to fix a lot of background stuff I'd rather they just say "We're going all in on fixing background stuff, so expect less new features until it's done and backend systems are fixed/in place" and just do it. Audio and art stuff should be a separate entity, but I don't know. Being silent about it just raised hype that went unfulfilled. Which also slightly annoys me that people in this thread are congratulating them on their transparency and communication when the lack of it is what caused this issue in the first place.
    --- Post updated ---
    The bigger question is why did the UI seemingly halt the progression of the remaster stuff that had been done quarterly up till now? Even if they talked about it in 2018, that doesn't necessarily mean they started working on it then. But the time taken for the UI to be reworked is irrelevant, it could've been released at any time, so back to the question, why did it now halt progression?

And to be curt, your view that game updates are a blessing is terrible. The game still isn't a final product, no one even knows what the final product will be since there's no road map or public end goals. You even use the word "eventually." The thing with early access games is it quite literally is an investment. You paid money to bring a product to market, you intend to see that product realized. That's why so many people eventually bailed out of SC. It's not entitlement nor a blessing, it's ROI.

And it's not "better" than Forza's map. Outside the fact that Forza has a stylized 2d map which is entirely different... well, no I guess that's pretty much it. A better comparison would be The Crew or Steep/Riders Republic 3d map, which is definitively better than Beam's current implementation. The fact that it's a 3d map but you can't rotate or really zoom in and out is a big bummer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

Boot Camp with a copy of Windows 7...

Also, when we talk about "running" the game, it was maybe 15fps...

7. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

Why would you expect those things, and why are you surprised that your own expectations weren't realised?

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. NJ_2124

NJ_2124
    Expand Collapse

Issa no for me I actually never knew how good the old user interface was until they changed it, so I really hope they bring it back. Curious to see what other people think about it, so definitely let me know more if you have time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Reece Coates

Reece Coates
    Expand Collapse

They had to move past it to add newer and bigger things to the game. It may not have been broken but it was in the way of bigger and better things that just weren’t compatible with it.

10. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

It wasn't broke, but it was barely working. They revamped all the code and it's easy to see on the map selector for example, it's much faster than before. They didn't do the vehicle selector yet because the update was rushed because of kids on the update speculation thread and that led to more bugs too. The next update in 1 week or so should fix many problems.

11. PessimaBoi

PessimaBoi
    Expand Collapse

I expected sth like in the legran update whuch was fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Covalence

Covalence
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for posting this, it's always nice to have devs who are open about what's going on behind the scenes. Tbh once I saw what was in the 0.24 update I expected this, it was a lot of features for one quarterly update and after 0.23 I expected to see a lot of bugs that would take a while to fix (after all, there were still some remaining even after 2 hotfixes and 5 minor updates).

Once I've gotten used to the update I feel like it will turn out great after some minor updates, the new UI seems like it needs a bit of polishing and there's a few very welcome changes (like how there's no longer an extra loading screen to exit the game) but a few things are counter-intuitive, like the separate radial menu and having to press 2 edit buttons to edit the UI. The H-series remaster was good, the only thing I was hoping for that didn't make it was more parts for the I6 engine (right now you can only get 183hp without N2O meanwhile a V8 can get over 1000) but it even fixed some smaller things like the H45 cargo box instability. The Pessima clearly got some under the hood (no pun intended) updates as there's much less understeer and the transmission is more reluctant to downshift but it really felt lackluster, although everything I didn't like was already discussed.

Also:
    92360052b7f68093e7790b03fa302897.jpg sorry

• Like Like x 4
  13. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

Agree with this mostly. Though it was broken, most of us had gotten used to the quirks up untll the update. I think many people are confusing an unfamiliar interface with a broken one, and are less tolerant to bugs because of that unfamiliarity. Aside from a few obvious bugs that I've already noted and reported, I haven't come across any issues that didn't exist in the previous interface. I'm especially less concerned since it's expected to run into issues after a major update, and the devs have a good history of hotfixing in the days/weeks following said update.

I realise some people's experience may be worse owing to less powerful hardware, but surely there has to be a point where the devs have to put their foot down and say "these are the new minimum system requirements now, don't come crying if you can't meet them and the game won't run properly". Not to imply that everyone should (or even could) just go out and buy new hardware, but I'm finding it harder and harder to sympathise with the mindset of a highly vocal subset of players who want scratches and terrain deformation, but still want the game to run on their uncle's old Celeron laptop.
    --- Post updated ---
    The Legran is a completely different car from a completely different fictitious company. That's like expecting Honda to release an AWD variant of the Civic just because Toyota released an AWD variant of the Corolla in the real world.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. surprisinguser1

surprisinguser1
    Expand Collapse

Abracadabra, alakazam, make this guy disappear!

#114 surprisinguser1, Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GearHead1

GearHead1
    Expand Collapse

0.24.1 is so good im crying

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

So, 0.24.1 recap:

-Modern muscle joins the list of archetypes represented in BeamNG via a sedan that could really only ever have had one inspiration. Wannabe cops and cloutchasers alike rejoice.
    -It'll probably eat roadblocks for breakfast too, but I haven't had a chance to check
    -It doesn't have underglow
    -Straight-line acceleration testing with a keyboard and the engine-diagnostics app open seemed to reveal some sort of system that can dynamically adjust engine output based on drivemode and gear, without adjusting boost
    -The Bolide (as we know it) is dead, long live the Bolide
    -The Bolide Corse is dead, long live the Bolide Corse
    -Pretty maps
    -The ETK map will likely never be a full 2x2 or 4x4 map
    -More things to do

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Ephidrineon

Ephidrineon
    Expand Collapse

Is the steering wheel of the Bastion supposed to be see-through in some parts?

Attached Files:

• 20211220221542_1.jpg
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. vmlinuz

vmlinuz
    Expand Collapse

I think the Bolide's front quarter glass might be distorted somehow? Hard to get a picture but it seems to be shaded wrong at least

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

thanks for the report, we are fixing :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. DaddelZeit

DaddelZeit
    Expand Collapse

The electricMotor sound preset doesn't appear to work anymore, or is really quiet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice