1. Thread posting restricted: Only the BeamNG team members can post new threads in this sub-forum in order to prevent spam. Posting is available on unlocked threads.

0.24 feedback :)

Discussion in 'Microblogs' started by tdev, Dec 5, 2021.

1. raiiiu

raiiiu
    Expand Collapse

if you look closely, you will see the mileage, and it being a big digit. this means that the developers intended to give a reliable and cheap car, as they are usually the cars you would drive everyday and get a lot of miles on.

--- Post updated ---
    it is really shiny but this is because of the pbr interiors. its simply reflecting the light, and if you went into a dark place it probably wouldnt be shiny anymore.

2. Alex_Farmer557

Alex_Farmer557
    Expand Collapse

but, you see, the old interior looks like an actual interior made of interior parts
    the new one looks like it's had a can of polish scrubbed into it so it reflects too much
    upload_2021-12-6_16-29-21.png upload_2021-12-6_16-29-37.png upload_2021-12-6_16-30-38.png upload_2021-12-6_16-31-56.png IMG_20200916_200324044.jpg

have some example images from my avensis

#42 Alex_Farmer557, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
  3. Big Jim

Big Jim
    Expand Collapse

Tdev and all the other devs, I, as well as most of us, really do appreciate the work you put into this game. It sounds like your workflow and time frames for putting together an update are pretty solid on paper, but it’s not just a loud minority here saying you missed the mark this update.

this is just my opinion, but I think the issue with this update is the need to make it appeal to the 80% who always want something new and fun. The UI layout is alright, however it is finicky and a bit confusing, and as Kueso put perfectly, it’s a step sideways, rather than forwards. The 30% completion effort put into the new UI should have gone to polishing the Pessima and putting the Bastion out the door. If the UI is that big of a project to take on, then it needs full focus, it needs its own update.
    I understand not every developer is specialized in that work, and like I mentioned before, the 80% of players who just want content, content, content are going to be upset by an update that just fixes menus. However, it is something that really needs to be fixed, and if it’s going to be done, it needs to be done right the first time. It’s preventing a lot of people, including me, from enjoying this game to the extent we would like to, and although new cars are nice, they only delay the main issues at hand. The dirty, boring work needs to be done, the game needs to be polished, and then we can get back to the fun stuff.

I love this game to death, I really do, but every update that comes just feels like a further burden on performance and the content only keeps me for a short time before I’m back to being bored. The fundamentals need to be worked out, because I’m sure there’s going to be a lot of people that will be giving up on this game if they keep getting pushed off.

I mean this with love, it’s just my opinion from my viewpoint.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. FalloutNode

FalloutNode
    Expand Collapse

You really couldn't have gotten a worse example of a pre-remaster pessima interior
    The image you are showing is obviously a mod with multiple things wrong. The new interior is missng details such as door speakers, the middle vents having a seperate fascia surround panel, and an airbag cover cut, all of which makes it look incredibly plain even by 90s japanese economy car standards. 272.jpg
    Even though this is an ancient photo you can see it doesn't look as terrible as the photo you posted and actually looks like dash plastic, even the seats have a bit more detail than the remaster.

• Like Like x 2
  5. raiiiu

raiiiu
    Expand Collapse

i knew someone would complain about that. you get the point and there is absolutely no reason for me to do something about that because the image focuses on the center and not on other details, just the more noticeable details.

6. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

I agree that the new interior of the Pessima is a bit too shiny. As for van content though, I fail to see how it "Wasn't a game-changer", we finally got the variety we needed

• Agree Agree x 8
  7. IonicOwl

IonicOwl
    Expand Collapse

This looks like my old Primeras dashboard after I'd taken it for an £8 hand wash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

IMO they should focus on making the game better in a realistic way, going gta-style isn't a good idea. The mission system is good but they should change it a bit, right now it feels to arcadey. Maybe the mission warning should appear on the UI like before, i think integrating it in the actual gameplay isn't a good idea. Again this is only my opinion and i still appreciate it, but i would prefer it this way. Beamng is the most realistic simulator out there, it should embrace that and not try to be arcadish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Milendur

Milendur
    Expand Collapse

On this pic dash looks ok, maybe they can reduce the shininess just a tad, but the steering wheel - it's most noticable there and it has that strange white glow/edge (as for couple other small details), this needs to be fixed the most

10. atv_123

atv_123
    Expand Collapse

First off, I would like to congratulate both you and the team for pulling off another successful update. People fail to realize just HOW MUCH EFFORT goes into an update like this. You guys put in months worth of work... literally thousands of hours... only to get people to come in complaining about how they don't like how you changed the buttons.

Many are quick to hop on the bandwagon to criticize things that they know nothing about.

So... since a lot of you reading this may be sitting there in the same boat thinking, "Its just some buttons, how hard is it to get that right?", I want you to go and read this.

https://www.beamng.com/game/news/blog/ui-sneak-peek/

This was their original dev blog post about them updating the UI. You can even see a lot of elements in their earliest stages that finally made their way into fruition through this update. This wasn't a single "update cycle" effort as MANY seem to believe it was. Note the date on that blog post people. It was uploaded the day after the last Minor update.... but not in 2021... it was uploaded in 2018. That was 3 YEARS ago. Putting in the effort to redo the UI was NO joke. Most probably don't realize that it has been in the works for that long though... as remember... a significant amount of effort was required to even get to that point where they uploaded that blog post... so they may have been working on that as early as 2017 even. When having to sift through and recode thousands of lines of code... nothing is easy.

That on another topic for "content" updates. Unrelated but related. I do realize that the van and Pessima were already in the game. However... that being said... when doing a "remaster" we all realize that while the initial vehicle doesn't have to be designed from scratch, all the assets do have to be completely redon from the ground up. Models redon, textures redon, ALL Jbeams more than likely tweaked... and all for free.

In a world of paying for literally everything in games, it shocks me when people get bent out of shape when a game that was bought almost 7 years ago (well... for me) is STILL getting updates. And not just bug fixes, but genuine QUALITY updates. There are STILL new cars being added. There are STILL new physics being added to the engine (along with optimizations on EVERY update... honestly almost more impressive than the additions themselves). There will still be a full blown campaign eventually... that epic map view definitely shows that (and can we appreciate it for a second... like... its literally better than Forza Horizon 5's map view by a LONG SHOT... think about that for a second). Y'all should be much more thankful for the things the devs are giving us. Sure... if you just bought the game within the last year, things may seem rather underwhelming... but remember... any free updates is basically nothing more than a blessing.

Now... before I go and start a flame war... I will state that this is my opinion, and you all have your own opinions and there is nothing wrong with that. What I will say though is rather than complaining about something the dev's have done... give feedback. Express how you think it could be adjusted or improved. The devs read TONS of feedback every day and a lot of those things are taken into consideration. We can be a massive think tank for the devs to do nothing but help improve the game as time goes on. Granted, a lot of the time the things we may have to suggest have probably already been taken into account by the devs and are already in the works... but most times the dev's let us know that its coming and just to be patient.

We may all not be part of the dev team, but we can all help make it better.

• Agree Agree x 13
  11. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Did you get bonked on your head today? How is making the UI more modern & adding nice gameplay features (which you can turn off) making the game more arcade-y, especially in terms of physics? These two things are nowhere near related to each other... If they were to pull a Project Cars 3 on us, then yes, sure, be all sad & mad about it, but the concept of modifying the UI to make it look nicer to degrade the physics are so far fetched, they might not even come from the same planet

#51 Sithhy™, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 11
  12. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I'm not talking about the ui, i'm talking about how the missions appear on-screen. It might be a bit far fetched, but i think it's too "virtual", or something like that. Like i said it's still very cool, just an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. korbitr

korbitr
    Expand Collapse

The shiny Pessima dashboard definitely seems like a bug in the rendering of it's textures, considering how quickly the exposure gets blown out. Fix the issue with the exposure, and it'll remind me of my old Subaru after a good cleaning.

The new UI, while hard to get used to at first, is a great addition to the game and good first step towards a full overhaul of the UI. The devblog clearly states that this is just the beginning of the revamp, so I don't know why people freaking out about the parts and vehicle selectors still being the same.

In any case, I think this is a good update overall. It's just a shame that people seem to be so impatient these days, and then focus on the negatives when they are finally given what they want. This game is a constant work in progress, and the devs are human too. Not everything that is planned can be added to the game in an allotted amount of time, due to unforeseen challenges and extraneous situations. Can we try just to be a little more thankful? 'Tis the season, after all...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Sithhy™

Sithhy™
    Expand Collapse

Then it's my misunderstanding, sorry about that, but still, how does having the missions appear on screen like that make the game more arcade-y? Look at Street Legal Racing: Redline for example; it has drag-race like street races & for its time, when the original version came out, it had pretty good soft-body physics, comparable to RoR, yet people didn't seem to not like it

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nacho Problem

Nacho Problem
    Expand Collapse

i agree there

• Like Like x 1
  16. CrashHard

CrashHard
    Expand Collapse

I was pretty frustrated by how buggy the new UI is....
    But I read the long post explaining all the work that have been going into, and will continue to go into the new UI, and I really appreciate the explanation and that you took the time to fill us in.
    Have had some time to drive around on the updated Utah, Jungle Rock Island and Small Island maps, and the different is just astonishing, wow those maps look pretty spectacular now, it is just incredible how much different those PBR textures, and shaders make. You all have done a fantastic job bringing the game up to this level of detail.
    But hope the shadow degrading and disappearing at some angles when you swinging the camera around the car will be dealt with in a future update. If technically possible, without changing game/render engine, that would be unreasonable.

Looking forward to the Christmas addon update.
    And thank you so much for all your hard work development team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Turbo49>

Turbo49>
    Expand Collapse

I dunno, how it is integrated within the gameplay make it feels to virual imo. But this is only an opinion, everybody has one. I still like it :)
    Also i don't know much about SLRR, didn't know about it until not long ago and hadn't had the occasion to look much at it. I'll make sure to look more at YBR's videos one time.

18. NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck

NGAP NSO Shotgun Chuck
    Expand Collapse

The parts selector is, for better or for worse, kind of necessary for a game like this that tries to simulate vehicles in as much detail as possible. It's not like other games where you can just choose bumpers, skirts, lights, spoilers, etc. and have the game prevent or resolve part conflicts automatically. Everything needs to be accounted for, and I don't think it's all that difficult once you get used to it.

It may not be a game changer, but it really didn't need to be. I mean, come on, the H-series is just a plain-old body-on-frame van that shares a large number of parts with other, already-remastered vehicles. All the functionality needed to accurately portray such a vehicle is already in-game and has been for a long time. What more, honestly, could it have brought to the table? Meanwhile, it very much got the three main things it needed: passenger variants, exterior customization, and model-year variance. All in all, very solid content, exactly what it should have been.

Speak for yourself, because I love underglow and the whole tuner aesthetic. The '96 Pessima was one the least-customizable cars in the game and absolutely needed the content. Plus, you actually got two new customization styles for it (show car/street racer and homologated touring car), along with vastly improved performance potential.

Now that I look at it, I can see where you're coming from, but the thing with GTA designs isn't *just* that they're bad or lazy (though they very much are both of those things), it's that they have almost no detail, especially when it comes to interiors and... basically anything else that isn't bodywork. BeamNG puts more effort into the greasy bits of their car models than just about any other development team there is. You don't have to like the styling, but at least there will be some decent engineering underneath.

I think part of the problem is that modern cars in general are just so overstyled that it's hard to design a fake one without it looking like either a parody of modern car design or a ripoff of a specific model. This even happens with real cars. I mean, look at the current "Corvette"; it really does just look like a Ferrari 488 with some Corvette styling cues grafted on. I think part of the reason so many manufacturers have started adopting such hideous "design language" is because the only way they can set themselves apart anymore is to make their cars even uglier than everyone else's.

I don't know. To me, it looks way too chonky to be anything but American. The rear fender line, also, couldn't be from anywhere else.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Tertiary

Tertiary
    Expand Collapse

it looks (at the front) like a maserati ghibli but they’ve changed it to American sizes for… some reason? I think that might have been how people all called it American because they wanted it

20. jjjjj

jjjjj
    Expand Collapse

My only complaint is with the freeroam overhaul, hear me out though. It is great if your computer can run it however, if you have a mid spec laptop or pc, it makes levels like utah run like west coast usa. The only reason that this overhaul is bad because of that is that you can't turn it off in the options menu. If you could then that would be the best of both worlds, just like with the new ui, but that is just something to get used to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice