There is now a group which will give you access to early content, bug submission and allows you to contribute to the scenario pack: http://www.beamng.com/forums/the-puzzle-cube.551/
It's been I while since I released a new mod and, since this is likely going to be my last mod for 2016 and it's Christmas, I though I would do something rather challenging and different...
I was wondering why puzzles hadn't really been incorporated into BeamNG and so I decided to give it a go. 50 hours later I realized why people hadn't given it a go but after many, many coding tweaks here it is; The Puzzle Cube!
There are a total of 18 different puzzle cubes, blue for the easy-medium levels, purple for the medium-hard levels, and the final red level for the very hard levels (however, the difficulty is the same for all of them so that they can be found easily together in the scenario menu).
All portals feature custom sounds as well as some other sound effects such as level 2-9 for the "boss" battle and some ambient sounds such as alarms.
Also, the car provided is either the offroad sbr configuration or the fastest sbr - the offroad config is only used for puzzles 4 and 8 and the sbr for the rest of them.
There are both campaigns and single scenario levels included, so you can chose what you prefer.
- Content: Currently features two testing facilities - Anti-Matter Testing Facility and BeamNG science Testing Facility - both with 9 scenarios each
- Portals! Now your thinking with portals...
- Custom assets: Features custom made assets from portals and signs to energy discs and custom particle effects (most objects have no collisions to prevent sticking to the player car and that most objects are dynamic [see below])
- Dynamic scenarios: Doors and walls can be moved, particles change position and rotation and some objects spin, loop and provide dynamism into the scenario.
- Unique background stories: Have the elation of having a background story to why you are doing what you are doing, and get more and more involved with the story as things slowly devolve - catastrophically
- New Challenges: Featuring portals, puzzles, gravity, boxes and more, each puzzle has a challenging puzzle for you to solve
- Anything can happen! Literately - The BeamNG Science Testing Facility lost control of its infinity energy disc and the Anti-Matter Testing Facility lost control of its antimatter stability, and may or may not have distorted space and time into a powerful blackhole. Yeah, that may or may not happen
Some very IMPORTANT information to take into account (this is displayed in scenarios as well):
- Portals: Drive up-to one and you will be teleported to the linked portal. portals are linked by colour and feature custom sounds, textures and models. Portals are not solid so you cannot get stuck in them, this is deliberate.
- Metal Boxes: These are what you can push around to put into holes to activate various different things such as open doors.
- Gravity: Later on, you will be messing with gravity. If a cube deposit area has a heavy sign on it, you need to increase the gravity and put the cube in to open walls. Moon gravity also allows you to not take damage when jumping large distances.
- Mirrors: These will mirror cubes but also reveal paths that are not present in the main reality cube.
(There are limits to this, as you can imagine as BeamNG was never designed for this)
This has been A LOT of work to put together and I really hope you enjoy it and have fun. I am very proud of the last puzzle cube and it took me the longest time to make. Don't use free camera for this level for the full effect to come in
- Cubes can be easily pushed but DO NOT hit them too hard or they will bounce around and be hard to move where you want it
- There may be more than one cube per level but should be placed in the most logical portal; otherwise it will not trigger correctly!
- Portals are linked by colour; a blue portal leads to another blue portal
- Direction AND momentum are conserved when going through a portal; ie, if a portal is on the west wall and so is the linked portal, then you will still be facing the west direction and be travelling a velocity in the direction west. (This is because Ids get reset if the car changes rotation in Lua)
- Portals are not a one-way transaction (those who have only one direction will be placed in unreachable areas); each portal leads to its corresponding colour
- Black portals only allow BOXES through; your car cannot go through them
- Do not go through the portal too fast (10 MPH) or you may crash into a wall on the other side or loop back and forth between portals.
- Boxes can enter portals, even if they are not black
- The number above the box deposit area tells you how many boxes can be placed there; some deposit areas move objects with every box given, some only move objects when ALL boxes are given
- The picture shown when triggering gravity shows the gravity that will activate
- Anvils where boxes can be deposited means that a wall can be moved but requires more weight
- Boxes do not constantly trigger when stationary in a deposited area; you will need to remove and move them into the area again to trigger the event
- The mirror cube and the reality cube can have slight differences, for example, portals are not in the same place.
- The reality cube can have paths that appear invisible in the mirror cube, so both, essentially, become mirror cubes.
WARNING: Do NOT restart the scenario when travelling through a portal - this causes the respawn-point to be messed up!
It is a bit rough around the edges so if you find any bugs, glitches or stupidities made by me, let me know in the discussions tab and I'll help you out.
My Thanks To:
RyvyLo - For helping with the lua triggers
Other than that, have a Happy Holiday and enjoy Christmas! If I'm honest, I didn't expect this to be finished before Christmas so take it as an early present!
The Puzzle Cube V2.0.1
A portal inspired puzzle scenario pack (Campaigns Included)