Sketchup LOD's, Collision Mesh

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by justlooking, Jan 9, 2017.

1. justlooking

justlooking
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

FUCKYOCOUCH.jpg

#1 justlooking, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  2. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Try setting ColisionType to "Visible Mesh" under the "Collision" section, should work for you. (might need to hit "play level"/reload for it to take effect.

3. HDR

HDR
    Expand Collapse

Ah sorry, can't help you with that, i wish you luck figuring it out however :p

4. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

From what I gather a separate low detail copy of your model will need to be used as a collision mesh. Sketchup doesn't have the
    capability to implement the 'colmesh' theory in Torque like Blender does. This is a major pain in the ass and the reason I am about
    ready to completely ditch Sketchup in Beamng. I also get the feeling the devs would rather not entertain Sketchup models at all.
    Jammin2222 was the Sketchup collision and LOD mesh wizard around here but subsequently removed all of his tutorials from the site
    and Youtube although his wiki stuff is still around. Even with his tutelage getting good precise collision meshes from Sketchup to work
    properly in BeamNG was and is a major pain in the ass. Right now I just get crashes every time I do a new detail level and import the collision mesh. Screw this. At this point all I think Sketchup is good for is simple stuff that won't be taxing with a visible mesh option.

I have thought about using a high detail Sketchup model and making the collision mesh in Blender but this requires the usual Blender skills
    that I currently do not posses so I commiserate.

Glad this thread popped up, I would love to hear an update from the devs on what they think of sketchup being used and how it will
    fit in future plans.

Thanks for letting me rant!:p

• Like Like x 1
  5. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

That's unfortunate indeed. So you already know about the separate low detail collision mesh way of doing things. I am not the greatest
    at Sketchup but I could have been much better and more motivated had there been a clear and understandable way to implement models
    into BeamNG. Everything since day one has been foggy and half baked when it came to people's attempts to explain the process. Only Jammin2222
    was able to reveal the true crap process to getting Sketchup to work good, at least in my experience.

I honestly like Sketchup alot, very intuitive and easy to grasp. My plan was to learn it as a gateway to Blender and I still intend on doing that only
    perhaps a bit faster than planned. Without clear feedback from the devs on what is going to happen with this I am just going to stop smashing
    my skull against the wall and focus on other things. I will say learning Blender is the only concrete way to futureproof this because BeamNG devs
    use it and consistently all the way through the BeamNG development process. Look at the bright side I guess.

6. SandwichesANDmilk

SandwichesANDmilk
    Expand Collapse

7. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

8. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

I too am stuck at this stumbling block. I want to make a city map, but without collision meshes, I must put everything in as static objects, not as forest-brush items. In other words, the city would be the size of a few blocks, that's it. I would be shocked if I could get a square mile of it done without hitting the 4k object limit. So until I can get around this (I can figure out sketchup, I can't figure out Blender for the life of me, but I have both here)... there won't be a city map from me.

9. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Sorry, this is quite bit off-topic, but this quoted part, do you or someone else have link or something where I could learn more about this theory?

OT:
    Would it be possible to export model from sketchup, import into Blender, apply that 'colmesh' theory and get things going that way without need to spend hours redoing stuff?

10. MysteryManGER

MysteryManGER
    Expand Collapse

11. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

What I refer to is my description of how Blender puts together a visible and collision mesh seamlessly under one .dae file. Sketchup doesn't
    do this properly and needs to be done 'manually', for a lack of a better description. Blender appears to put the collision mesh inside the the main
    .dae and it is named 'colmesh' because that is what Torque needs to see for it to have collision. Sketchup on the other hand doesn't do this. A separate
    and low detail collision mesh must be made separately ( named colmesh too ), and placed in the same file as the visible mesh, as a totally separate
    mesh and .dae object. Sketchup will not incorporate the collision mesh seamlessly inside the main .dae like Blender does.

Even the LOD meshes have to be done this way I believe.....I think. Anyway, Jammin2222's videos were all about how to get all the sketchup
    meshes together and working in Torque. He ran into the 4096 object limit as well and like Bob said his map would have to be smaller.

My question has always been why Sketchup won't export a .dae with collision like Blender does?

That is exactly what I have thought about doing. Making a nice visible mesh model in Sketchup and then bring it into Blender to make the
    collison mesh. In theory it should work but the big thing with that would be re-doing the materials I think. Blender would be good for cleaning
    up messy Sketchup .dae's as well.

Just had a look at MysterymanGER's tutorial and it looks like there are still problems getting Sketchup
    LOD's and such to work properly. Sometimes I think all the work put into finding Sketchup solutions
    would be better spent learning Blender....truth hurts I know.

#11 Aboroath, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. MysteryManGER

MysteryManGER
    Expand Collapse

I am also a SketchUp user. The whole "Car Jump Arena"-Map is designed with SketchUp!

But the COLLADA files exported with SketchUp are not as good as DAEs exported with Blender (Thanks RyvyLo for that hint). SketchUp devides the mesh into several pieces, while Blender just creates one piece. Thats very importent for the framerate. Also you have to use the ingame mesh editor for your collision and LOD meshes.

But if you don't want to learn Blender (like me) ...use this SKP-Plugin:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?360406-Sketchup-(SKP)-importer

Create your mesh(es) with SketchUp, import them into Blender using this plugin...setup the collision and LOD meshes ( Exporting_static_objects ) and export the whole mesh into one single DAE file with Blender.

Et voilĂ  :)

#12 MysteryManGER, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 7
  13. bob.blunderton

bob.blunderton
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that link, you're helping make my dreams of making a real, downtown city map possible. I really owe you one buddy, TY!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice