force-feedback cutoff at very low speeds!

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by stbest95, Jan 16, 2017.

1. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

Hey everyone!

this is a feature that is in every modern racing-sim and i think it is needed in beamng as well.

what this does is basically disabling ffb at very low speeds - for example below 3 mph.
    this prevents unrealistic wheel behaviour and oscilliations when the car stands still.

the way this is usually done: ffb will be linearly reduced from a certain speed for a smooth transition.
    for example: in the speed range from 3 to 0 mph the ffb will reduce from 100% to 0%.

#1 stbest95, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Rainvest

Rainvest
    Expand Collapse

Good idea. I hate when my wheel moves back and forth everytime i stop

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Srockzz

Srockzz
    Expand Collapse

Sounds nice. its kind of annoying stopping adn the wheel going from side to side when i stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

yeah i hope a dev sees this - shouldnt be too hard to implement.

5. stenyak

stenyak
    Expand Collapse
    Programmer & Global Moderator
    BeamNG Team

Thanks for the suggestion.

We want to improve vibrations, and this is one of the possible solutions we have been considering.

It's still not clear which solution/s will be the best overall (absolutely all of them have some kind of drawback), but yeah, we are thinking about it and will do something as soon as possible :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

thank you for the reply! this is great to hear.
    it can get pretty annoyng when the wheel starts vibrating/oscilliating as soon as the car stands still.

7. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

This is actually a result of latency in the FFB system - input lag. It's quite annoying.

The drawback to this FFB cutoff would be that making 3 point turns, for example, would no longer be reallistic. Say you have a heavy car with no power steering and race tires. You will have extremely heavy steering, and suddenly it just magically disappears?

8. stbest95

stbest95
    Expand Collapse

since literally every other racing sim uses this system there doesnt seem to be an easy way around this.
    maybe you could have a preset resistance when the ffb is disabled to prevent the wheel from going completely limp.

• Like Like x 1
  9. quintto

quintto
    Expand Collapse

and what about offroading, this would make it so that when you are rockcrawling you have no forcefeedback when you bump on the rocks and boulders

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice