would i be allowed to (read thread) Asking staff :D

Discussion in 'Content Creation' started by offroadbacon, Jul 31, 2016.

1. offroadbacon

offroadbacon
    Expand Collapse

would i be allowed to edit some old files so they can be added straight to the mod folder and reupload (i will give all credit to original creators) could a staff member reply plz.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

not without permission of authors of original files, this is a long established rule

• Like Like x 2
  3. offroadbacon

offroadbacon
    Expand Collapse

so ? am i or not ?

4. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

Nope, once one of my mods was bundled with another one and uploaded to the forums, Nadeox1 asked if the uploader had permission and I got notified. It got removed afterwards.

5. offroadbacon

offroadbacon
    Expand Collapse

would i be allowed to repack the a map mod then sent it to the original author? soz for bad gramz im originally from germany

6. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

You said it's up to the original author to find his stuff only, the mods take care of that, too, in case they see a taken file.

7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

in my case, someone reused stuff i used, their mod was blocked, i wasnt asked, their mod was straight up blocked.

8. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

We are talking about mods that have been made for BeamNG and beeing uploaded here, not other games stuff.
    Also, I'm not the only one, and the other guy who's mod was taken for the pack got notified, too.

#6 Bernd, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  9. Bernd

Bernd
    Expand Collapse

I'm aware of that, but this thread is about content that has been made by a BeamNG community member, beeing uploaded to the forums/repository.

10. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Considering the amount that have been blocked recently, thats evidence that you are 100% factually incorrect. Yes things were that way, but havent been that way in months. Quit lying dude.

11. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

@Bernd @SixSixSevenSeven @Darren9 Let's keep on track here - the discussion was never about stolen content from other games :-( , stolen content for "mod packs" :-( , or reused stuff in general. OP specifically asked about repacks / fixes.

Personally I do repacks & fixes as I see fit and nobody has stopped me yet. So far I upload them to the original author's thread with an explanation of what I've done. I'm confident that nobody is going to try and stop me or offroadbacon from doing that. The original author's intent certainly wasn't to make a mod that would be valid for 3 months until the next mod-breaking update...

@Nadeox1 maybe you could step in and specify the current guidelines on @offroadbacon 's specific question.

#9 torsion, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

(Grabs popcorn...)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oshawott

Oshawott
    Expand Collapse

If they original author isnt active anymore, thando it but give them credit. If they are ask them.

14. St3v3th3d0g

St3v3th3d0g
    Expand Collapse

15. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Why would they ban me
    --- Post updated ---
    Why would the ban me

16. St3v3th3d0g

St3v3th3d0g
    Expand Collapse

no not you darren9

17. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Who would ban him

18. St3v3th3d0g

St3v3th3d0g
    Expand Collapse

six six seven seven for argueing with a dev

19. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

6677 doesn't have the power to do that. At least I'm pretty sure.

20. St3v3th3d0g

St3v3th3d0g
    Expand Collapse

mabey not but nade does

21. Amtrak America

Amtrak America
    Expand Collapse

Nope he doesn't.

22. torsion

torsion
    Expand Collapse

I think it's safe to say that SixSixSevenSeven will never have that power here. SixSixSevenSeven is also not a dev, Darren9 and SixSixSevenSeven are both simply regular forum members who are arguing.

This forum isn't the wild west either - nobody's getting banned for pointing out the obvious. Darren9 might be off-point, but he's not out of line. So far there has been (at best) a double standard on the theft of IP (intellectual property - eg game assets). Hopefully that's changing now but this thread probably isn't the place for that discussion. This thread was started with a question asking about fixing up old mods. If someone wants to start a thread about IP theft / borrowing / etc then they can go ahead - even link it here and everyone can go put their two cents in there.

Scary warnings about bans don't need to be in any thread. (If anyone starts to look like they need a ban I'm sure they'll get a private message from a team member.)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Let's put it this way.

Modifying somebody's mod, and the re-publishing it, without asking the original author is not nice.
    We always encourage to ask the original author first, even before starting modifying a mod.
    You don't want to have worked on something and then not being able to release it just because you asked the author too late.

24. offroadbacon

offroadbacon
    Expand Collapse

when i made this thread i didnt intead to start an argument :D

• Like Like x 1
  25. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

read the BeamNG EULA, also applies to @Darren9. And we are talking in context of repo uploads here, where like a few of us have mentioned who have content on repo, we have been contacted and informed of modders having their content blocked from upload for containing our content without permission or in violation of rules set out with our content.

26. synsol

synsol
    Expand Collapse
    QA Lead
    BeamNG Team

For the mods where the modder specify : "Do not reupload without permission" or other specific rules , it's pretty clear , and for the other mods , like Nadeox say , it's not nice to do that without permission, and quite simple to ask the original modder !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice