1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Before reporting issues or bugs, please check the up-to-date Bug Reporting Thread for the current version.
    0.32 Bug Reporting thread
    Solutions and more information may already be available.

World Editor: Constantly selecting things that I don't select

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting: Bugs, Questions and Support' started by krallopian, May 24, 2019.

1. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

I've heard people mention that the editor selects/deletes things once you have a "lot" of items.

Well recently whenever I select objects the Scene Tree on the right side shows that I've selected other objects too.

I.E. I select a CURB but then two or three things show up selected on the scene tree!

I've noticed things constantly being deleted or moved and never reeeaallly understood why until now. It seems to have started happening since 0.16 though, never happened before that when I had MORE items in the map.

Am I alone with this?

2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

That issue has been around for a long long time, not really certain what triggers it, but whenever I have tested on gridmap placing several thousands of objects, issue starts happening, hence forest brush is handy way to get around with the issue.

Not sure if issue has been away in 0.15 though, but when it starts to happen, then what I remember is that number of objects needed to be reduced to much lower level than where issue started to happen.

Try Edit > Select and see if at times that manages to work.

Other than that, you might need to ask Bob how to get around with it as he has had that happening probably more than anyone else.

3. krallopian

krallopian
    Expand Collapse
    NC114-85EKLS
    BeamNG Team

If you have say 10,000 items, and 10,001 breaks it but you don't notice until 11,500 items it would make sense to me that what is happening is unique identifiers are being duplicated, and so removing items back to 10,000 wouldn't solve that because the original name would still exist, you would have to go back much further in that case - as well explaining why even though I deleted a bunch of old items to replace with newer - fewer - items, it still happened to me.

I guess just coincidence with the updates as only recently have I added a few thousand more objects. As for forest items. . . never will I ever try to place forest curbs, placing and manipulating forest items is a headache I don't need. Trees that are randomly sized and rotated, sure np, anything that needs to be in a specific place nooooo thank you.

Sad to see that it has been an issue for so long and that nobody seems to really know what/why.

I remember you specifically fufsgfen mentioning random items deleting, and I didn't think it was happening in this way, but it makes perfect sense now.

If I place five curbs, then select all five manually, but then check the scene tree, I've selected a bunch of decal roads, particles, lights, etc.. even though they don't seem to get modified when I move or delete the five curbs I've initially selected. It's all very strange!

4. fufsgfen

fufsgfen
    Expand Collapse

Either some variable is too small or array/list overflows, maybe selected items list is not getting fully erased or then it is something in more difficult areas like memory access, garbage collection etc. if those easy bits check out, but one needs over 8000 static objects or something like that for it to happen and those need to be copied in editor I think.

Can take time to figure out and as it is not usually happening priority is not very high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice