Windshield popping out or bending.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by Fender_Bender, Nov 8, 2015.

1. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender
    Expand Collapse

The windshield at it's current state is way too solid. If you hit a wall at 100mph, the windshield still would be intact and not bent at all even if the roof it totally bent out of shape.

2015-11-08_00001.jpg
    This is what i mean

2. Slammington

Slammington
    Expand Collapse

You call that intact???

3. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender
    Expand Collapse

It was still completely intact and straight.

4. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

The windshielf flattened out on that wall. It's not intact. If it was, it would still have the original curvature.

5. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender
    Expand Collapse

I watched the crash in slowmo and and the windshield didn't even touch the wall. And looking at the length of the engine bay and the angle of the windshield, you can see that the windshield couldn't have flattened by hitting the wall.

6. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Here's what happens (form my point of view, I may be wrong):
    -The bottom of the A Pillars are getting opposite forces due the front being crushed.
    -The upper of the A Pillars are getting forces from the rest of the car with the same direction of travel due inertia.

So, the bottom point where the A Pillar meets the roof (along with the base of the A Pillars, and if you look closely, also the pillar itself) would act as a hinge, making the upper part bend so easily. That would sort-of explain why windshields end up like that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

Even in extreme circumstances, it's actually what happens

crash1_689388a.jpg

A-pillars are something car manufacturers first realized they needed to reinforce. So they did, very well. Now the main weaknesses are at the top of the A pillar, the anchor point on the firewall and the joint at the B pillar.

In real life examples, the A pillar nearly always retains the original curvature.

8. Fender_Bender

Fender_Bender
    Expand Collapse

I tested this again without the windshield and realised that it wasn't the windshield. I was going to say it earlier but our internet went down. I should have tested it with windshield off in the first place :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice