windows 7 pro updating help

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by IBsenoj, Dec 26, 2015.

1. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

hey guys, I got a EVGA gtx 750ti for christmas, and I'm wanting to plug it into my desktop, but it was "preparing to install windows 10" but I hit cancel download, (I wasn't ready for that update anyway for that pc) then i hit shut down, and I forgot that this pc doesn't like to shut down or startup... it always takes forever.

so now it's sat here: image1.JPG
    for hours and I'm getting impatient.

2. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

help please

3. JackAttak

JackAttak
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I think it's okay to hold down the power button and force the PC to turn off when it's been stuck there for a really long time. I've done it in a similar situation.

4. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

okay yeah that's my last resort...

ill just do that.

5. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

...The only issues really with holding the power button down are in the hard drive.
    Really if you only do it when the PC is frozen or just not responding for a long period of time, it should be safe to force shut down the PC.
    But if thats how you shut the PC down all the time... Then it becomes a concern XD

But since you are frozen, I would say its safe.

6. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

Except Windows is updating. Best case it's actually frozen and nothing happens - but if it was actually writing system files, you may have to reinstall.

7. Driv3r1142

Driv3r1142
    Expand Collapse

True.
    Almost forgot that part. My bad xD
    Although I have accidentally force shut down my laptop before while it was doing things and it still works to this day.
    But if it is writing files, sure its going to be a disaster. I guess its a gamble with it at this point.
    Normally I am dealing with my PC when its not updating. Never freezes on me while updating. Only on my desktop apparently...

8. SuperNoob05

SuperNoob05
    Expand Collapse

I had to force shutdown my PC during a system update once, only issue I noticed during the day after was the slightly longer boot up time, other than that, it was fine. I would not reccommend doing it if it's not 1000% neccesairy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

okay well, i already force-shut it down. the new card is in, and now it's been booting up for about 15 mins...

BUT don't be too alarmed, because for some reason, not really sure what, but this computer takes half an hour after a shut down everyday. I going to wipe it with windows 10. but for now I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it's just a "normal" boot time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IBsenoj

IBsenoj
    Expand Collapse

Just finished! (how convenient)
    res is all messed up but i'll get the drivers, and all. thanks peeps. if i wipe it and it still takes (today) 17 mins to boot up, i'll start a new thread for fixing that problem.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice