1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

Why do mirrors work the way they do in Beamng?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itachipirate, Jun 21, 2022.

1. itachipirate

itachipirate
    Expand Collapse

The only way to enable the mirror reflections is to enable dynamic reflections for all of the car including paint reflections. Why aren't mirrors handled completely differently than the rest of the car body's reflections? It would be nice to enable reflections for only the mirrors to save a lot of FPS, especially if you're playing with lots of AI traffic driving around.

You also can't adjust the mirrors to get the right viewing angle, which is especially bad on the passenger side mirror. It's practically impossible to drive using mirrors in first person camera. I have a keybind on my steering wheel to look right and I'd love to be able to use that other mirror to see whats actually going on behind me. The T series especially is much harder to drive in first person without being able to glance over at a functioning mirror.

I've played this wonderful game for a long time, and I've seen a lot of things improve by an unimaginable amount over the development of this driving physics simulator. It's just always really stuck out to me how strangely the mirrors are handled in Beamng. Is there a major limitation that I'm not considering that is preventing a more intuitive mirror system?

2. Agent_Y

Agent_Y
    Expand Collapse
    Jbeam/QA support
    BeamNG Team

As many people said before in many exactly the same threads, it won't make the game any less laggy to enable dynamic reflections even only on 1 pixel than it will on the whole car, because the lag comes from the game engine having to render the world for the second time relative to the car, not from displaying this render. So if you only enable it for mirrors, you might as well do it for the whole car because the difference in performance will be practically unnoticable. As for adjusting mirrors, I assume the limitation is the sheer amount of key bindings we have already, to add adjust options to 3 more mirrors on 2 axis each we would need 12 more keys and we would run out of the keyboard. On the bus you can manually adjust the mirrors with node grabber, but on other cars it would be physically inaccurate being able to move them like that, only the glass part needs to rotate on them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice