Wheel Force Feedback support - show your interest!

Discussion in 'Ideas and Suggestions' started by aDaWaN, May 25, 2014.

1. aDaWaN

aDaWaN
    Expand Collapse

I have to start this thread with some generic BeamNG game / dev loving: I love the game and thanks to the developers!
    However, currently BeamNG Drive does not support force feedback (FF).
    RoR did support FF and this was an awesome feature.

I know Gabester has already told FF support is planned, but no updates and/or timelines have emerged yet.
    Tdev made the following remark in his blog:
    We're also interested in hearing from you, the community, as to what direction development should take as far as features and gameplay are concerned.

To me my #1 request is force feedback, the lack of FF really ruïns the joy of playing BeamNG. Especially with the race update coming up I'd really like to have FF.
    So my request is simple: prioritize FF support!
    I'd be great if a developer can shed some light on the timelines or difficulties with implementing this feature.

And my last request is: if you want FF support really bad, please reply to this thread to show the developers we want this feature bad.

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Actually its already a planned feature, just not implemented yet. So if you want to support the devs, use search and then don't pester them for it.

3. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Yeah FFB is probably the most anticipated feature for me outside of the Pre-race update, more so than even the race update. I mean this is a realistic driving game, so getting the driving perfect should be a priority over racing id say.

From the blog post: "Going forward after the race updates, we might look to implement some delivery features and gameplay; trailers, ties, tow hitches, cargo, and the like, as well as fixing the collision and friction problems with cargo carrying. It should be quite possible for us to code some delivery missions."

I think FFB should be implemented before they go adding all these gameplay features.

4. gabester

gabester
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Director
    BeamNG Team

FFB is very very high on our priority list; don't worry :) We thought that it went without saying ;)

5. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

One stupid question: Why is FFB so amazing and game-breaking for those who always use it? I have only used it once or twice, and it didn't seem to be that big of a deal.

Please don't go off on me, but if you can just explain it, that would be nice.

6. Nish01

Nish01
    Expand Collapse

for me, i cant be without some sort of resistance using a wheel unless im racing on a super speedway type of thing. I.E feeling the back end come around, being loose/tight. casual driving without ffb is alright though, for racing its almost needed if done right. imo

7. Mythbuster

Mythbuster
    Expand Collapse

You can't feel at all what your wheels are doing without force feedback. Like, we all know that when you turn the steeringwheel with your hands, the wheels turn. But it also works the other way around(when you go over a bump, or when someone kicks the tire, you will feel that it wants to turn the steeringwheel). FFB simulates exactly that. It's especially vital for predicting when your car is going to over/understeer before it happens, and being able to correct it before it happens.

Would be sick if we could simulate ffb differently between cars with and without power steering... Without power steering, the feel you get through the wheel on a real car is so nice.

#7 Mythbuster, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  8. Cardinal799

Cardinal799
    Expand Collapse

My wheel has FFB support, and it does automatically make the wheel autocenter and give it some force for when I steer it when it's plugged in.

I do still think I'll get a G27, because shifter and buttons and 900 degree steering and FFB.

9. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Yeah with my G27 im able to add a bit of self centering force, which helps a bit, but im looking for some force when it comes to drifting. For me (not the best driver) its pretty difficult driving a Bolide without FFB, since you really have no idea when to react to the tail stepping out.

Should be lots of fun when FFB gets implemented though

10. Ltp0wer

Ltp0wer
    Expand Collapse

awesome to hear.

until ffb gets added, my g27 feels pointless to use versus my 360 controller.

11. aDaWaN

aDaWaN
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the update gabester, got to love BeamNG and its developers.
    I have learnt not to assume things btw, so this is why I ask ;)
    It will be great if this can be implemented soon after the race update, as in my opinion FF is essential for some enjoyable racing.
    Please keep us updated!

Force feedback allows you to feel the forces exerted on to the steering rack of the car you are driving. This allows to control the car near and over the limit.
    Now when I drive a high-power rear wheel drive car in BeamNG I have troubles controlling it. Especially the Bolide is not so good in this subject: floor it in first gear all the way to the redline and you are almost certain going to spin it. With FF you will feel what the car does way before it starts to slide and this enables you to correct it. Drifting cars is also way easier and nicer with force feedback because you are way ahead in controlling the car.

Maybe you should try to set some fast laptimes in a rear wheel drive car in a sim like Live for speed, rFactor, iRacing, Assetto Corsa or so. Try it and you will know why you want force feedback.
    Rigs of Rods also supported FF and this was a great addition, really loved to drift all the gabester cars. Especially the G2 and MV4 were very nice drift cars with good FF.

12. ebernhards

ebernhards
    Expand Collapse

Oh definitely. I'm dying to see Force Feedback in BeamNG. It is the best game to be playing when friends come over, and we get some beers, but since we are using my G25 Logitech, it is really disappointing to not have the wheel react to the environment and to the back stepping out (which happens a lot, thankfully :D ).

BUT - I don't really think this is the best idea - to nag the devs. I bet they have a s**tton of work to do, and they have a plan. So we just have to wait patiently. :)

If the devs are looking at this thread:

Thank you guys for so much work you're doing! The Race Update looks freaking awesome - can't wait. :) And if you're wondering if FF is really necessary, and if people would use it - definitely. It is a pretty important feature in any racing game. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice