What's best for offroading: manual or automatic?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Ytrewq, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

This question has bugged me for quite some time, since knowing the answer is important for choosing my next car. So, which one is better?
    Note: I don't need car suggestions.

2. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Manual. In my oponion.

3. mfaughnan57

mfaughnan57
    Expand Collapse

Automatic, without a doubt. You can't be stalling while climbing up steep hills off-road.

4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Learn to drive so you don't stall then???

• Like Like x 2
  5. 0atsmea1

0atsmea1
    Expand Collapse

Manual for sure.

6. Mr.Blueboy

Mr.Blueboy
    Expand Collapse

Lol. Yes. It's a good idea to have a good amount of experience.
    Manual bc you have MORE control over how the vehicle shifts, and how it moves.

7. PriusRepellent

PriusRepellent
    Expand Collapse

Manual vs Automatic comes down to your skill and experience as a driver, as well as financial situation. If you can't operate a clutch to save your life, but have plenty of money, a manual may still work out as you learn/get better (possibly after replacing the clutch a time or two). However, if you lack both money and experience with a manual, then an automatic is safer for you. That is actually the reason I use an automatic. The risk of burning out a clutch is unacceptable in my current circumstances, and I was never able to practice on a manual.

You may also want to consider a shiftable automatic. You get to control the gear shifting to a large degree without the risk of ruining a clutch or money shifting.

8. Ytrewq

Ytrewq
    Expand Collapse

My current car is a manual, so I have more experience with it. I find the way automatic works (especially when starting and taking off) weird. Money shouldn't be a problem ;).
    I brought this question up because despite manuals being faster*, more efficient*, familiar to me and fun on pavement, they are harder to find* and you have to be careful when taking off in a manual AWD. Does one of the transmissions have significant advantage off-road to influence my final choice?
    *particularly applies to the cars I'm looking for

#8 Ytrewq, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. JBatic

JBatic
    Expand Collapse

you want high torque, a manual transmission, a Hi/Lo transfer case, good tires, and I recommend limited slip or locking differentials
    With a manual you can keep it in the rev range you want better, an example would be climbing a steep hill, you would want to keep it in first or second gear for putting the most torque down

10. General S'mores

General S'mores
    Expand Collapse

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice