1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What to upgrade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by titantls, Jan 30, 2016.

1. titantls

titantls
    Expand Collapse

So I am going to upgrade one part of my computer soon, I wanted to see what you guys think would be best to upgrade next for a better running beamng.

My specs:
    Processor:Intel core i3-4130
    CPU 3.40Hz
    Windows 7
    64-bit operating system
    NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450 graphics card
    8.0 GB of ram
    Motherboard MSI B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850)

2. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Probably the graphics card. You should also change your PSU at the same time. And make sure to calculate a better CPU in, as that would be the next thing to upgrade. I don't know what your budget is, but you should be good with a GTX 950 (~$150?) or R9 380X (~$250).

#2 Deleted member 126452, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  3. EvilSoul

EvilSoul
    Expand Collapse

Everything but ram tbh. What you should get is at least an Intel i5-4460 or i5-4590 processor (both supported by your motherboard) and a new graphics card, like AMD Radeon R9 380. I would not buy NVIDIA atm because of its questionable performance with DX12. Your motherboard and OS is fine. Those components should last you a few years. Also, you could easily sell your current i3 CPU to gain some money back.

What I got on my sig is capable of running BeamNG

• Like Like x 1
  4. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

a GTS450 is probably the single worst part on that list although if you want to upgrade the GPU you may need to upgrade your power supply (you didnt say what supply you have installed)

5. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

I'd say with that Motherboard get yourself a 4770K and a new graphics card and DEFINITELY a new PSU!

6. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

That's what I said. Although I don't know why I'm saying this right here. Anyway, with an R9 380X and an i5-4460 a 550W-PSU might be needed (according to powersupplycalculator.net).
    A Corsair VS550 would be okay then, 80 Plus standard, but quite cheap (should be around $50).

• Like Like x 1
  7. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Except gamers dont need i7's so as usual you are proving advice that consists of "throw money at it"

• Like Like x 2
  8. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

The cheapest route would be to buy a GTX 750Ti. those don't require any extra power connectors IIRC so you only have to buy the GPU. It wont run BeamNG on high settings but it would be a lot better than your 450

• Like Like x 1
  9. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

i5 4460, R9 380X and the VS550 are really good upgrade parts. +1
    A Cooler Master G550M would also be a decent PSU.

10. RobertGracie

RobertGracie
    Expand Collapse

Ah okay what about an i5 upgrade instead, because that motherboard is 4th gen...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Oh, forgot about it. The old trick of buying an older version of the card and getting away cheaper with it.
    GTX750Ti would be a good idea too.
    Like S.t.U. just said, older card might do it as good, the rest of it is the sweet spot of price to performance basically.

12. Zorin-Ind.

Zorin-Ind.
    Expand Collapse

That is what Arne suggested as well. Probably the best choice.
    GTX 750 Ti is also a good suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

I think the things that @titantls should upgrade to are said then (probably). Would be about $180 for the i5 4460 and $110 for the GTX750Ti at Amazon. Didn't find the VS550, but like I said, it should be around $50-60.

• Like Like x 1
  14. titantls

titantls
    Expand Collapse

Thank you for all your feedback guys!! I'm looking into all of your ideas, I will hopefully have a choice soon. Thanks!

15. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

It should be noted that the i5 upgrade will only let you play with more cars at once, because BeamNG uses 1 core per vehicle. In this case, it's the clock speed and generation of the CPU that determines how well it will run. That i3 is only 1 generation behind, and it runs at 3.4GHz which is fairly nice. It has 2 physical cores with hyper threading so it does act like a cheaper quad core than an i5. The only true bottleneck when using 1-2 vehicles would be the GPU.

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

false, they can still exceed the power limit of your PSU even while lacking auxiliary power connectors

17. Spaceballs the Username

Spaceballs the Username
    Expand Collapse

I am aware of that, but it's less likely if it's using mobo power.

18. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Considering I've seen rigs with just 250W PSUs. Its still very likely.

19. gigawert

gigawert
    Expand Collapse

With a CPU like that, I would recommend a GTX 750 Ti or else the CPU will be a bottleneck. Don't buy a 900 series if you are also planning on upgrading the CPU too.

20. Deleted member 126452

Deleted member 126452
    Expand Collapse

Don't you remind me of that crappy LC-Power 350W-pile-of-crap-PSU that committed suicide somewhen when it interestingly wasn't used at the moment. Was replaced by another one that was still in the house, but I'll alays remember not to buy LC-Power PSUs anymore.
    It depends on if he wants to buy a card that costs twice as much and wants to upgrade other stuff later too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice