What should I buy on Steam? (Holiday Sale)

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Nickorator, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

So as many of you probably know, the Steam Holiday sale started today and the deals are amazing. But I'm not the best at finding out what I want to buy... I just threw together a random wish list and I'm hoping to get some recommendations. What games are worth getting? I don't have a ton of money so if you think I'd be better off waiting till it's a better price then please mention that. I'm up for consideration for all of these games on my list but not 100% sold. Also recommend some other games if you think they're worth getting.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but since it is technically about other games then it seemed okay. Also you can ignore the Assassin's Creed games at the bottom. I'm only gonna buy those if they're dirt cheap, as I already have then on Xbox.

Here's the list:
    steam1.jpg
    steam2.jpg

2. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Honestly, I'd only get ets2 from that list. Rest just aren't really worth it except maybe assassins creed, but I'd wait to see if they go on sale (unlikely)

3. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

I was thinking that. It's super cheap right now and I know it's popular, but I don't really know why. I'll have to look into it some more. I'll most likely get it later tonight though considering how cheap it is.
    I also seriously want DayZ, but it's never on sale for more than that. I don't know if it's worth waiting. Knowing me it'll be like 50% off the day after I buy it though. I know it gets a lot of hate for the slow devs but so did BeamNG. It can be seen from multiple angles so I really don't know.

4. CTJacob

CTJacob
    Expand Collapse

I've been looking at Day-Z for a while but that price is killing me. Even $29 is killing me.

5. Cwazywazy

Cwazywazy
    Expand Collapse

Even if I wanted to buy anything from this sale I couldn't afford it. :(

I guess I'll have to wait til the Christmas money starts rolling in.

6. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

I'd say the best ones on that list that are already out are:

Far Cry 4 - Haven't played it myself, heard a lot of good about it though.

CoD: AW
    - Same as above.

Trials Evo
    - Great game, frustrating but keeps you coming back to try and beat the harder levels.

Wreckfest - Not many cars or tracks but what it does have is fantastic in the same fashion as BeamNG's quality. Less realistic damage but works better in a gameplay/violent racing sense.

The Crew - Had bad press, I don't see any problems with it myself besides the slow progression.

Euro Truck Simulator 2
    - Hard to put into words, just great to chill out to.

Assetto Corsa
    - Great racing simulator, hardcore detailed driving physics with the aesthetics of Forza 5 and plenty of mod support.

What I DON'T recommend:

Goat Simulator - Tries to hard to be funny and random, and because it's trying, it doesn't achieve either.

DayZ - Doesn't have enough clear drive behind it to justify the price. I like the gameplay but it's just too broken right now.

Watch_Dogs - Struggled to get 30FPS on medium on my GTX780, despite better looking games running better. Unnecessarily bad PC port.

Both Assassin's Creeds - Never personally been a fan of the series, gameplay is painfully boring and extremely repetitive.

The ones I haven't mentioned in either category are up to you, hopefully that all narrows it down a bit.

7. Svpracer

Svpracer
    Expand Collapse

Euro Truck Sim 2 Christmas Bundle, just bought it for my girlfriend. I already had it and she had it on her wishlist... It is ETS2, Going East DLC and High Value Cargo.

8. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Well I just bought ETS2. It seems like a really nice game to just play when I don't want something to fast paced.

I'm considering Trials, but I just think it might get boring fast. Also I'm not buying anything that's not on sale, so I'll just wait to see what comes around. Got one great purchase so far. I'll just have to see what the rest of the same holds I guess.

9. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Bear in mind that Trials comes with an extremely in-depth level editor and includes the previous game, Trials HD with it.

10. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

Interesting.. I mean is seems like a fun game. I'll probably end up buying it. I only have 6 bucks on Steam now so I'll have to wait till tomorrow or something to get it. But I'm also curious about it going even lower. It may be on a flash sale and dip below 10 bucks. I'll just see what happens

11. Occam's Razer

Occam's Razer
    Expand Collapse

Damn. I had the same plan and you beat me to it. Perhaps there should be some sort of all-across-the-board game recommendation thread, where users can suggest games to other community members.

12. Calais

Calais
    Expand Collapse

You know what, I would definitely recommend Watch Dogs. I know people have mixed feelings about it but I (personally) enjoyed the game. Can run it on High/Ultra with my 2 GTX 670's

13. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

No. Not COD

14. Nickorator

Nickorator
    Expand Collapse

So far with ETS2... not too pleased. It seems like a direct copy from the old game "18 Wheels of Steel: Haulin"
    I'm a newbie so these's probably a lot more to it.. but it doesn't even feel as good as that game did back on windows XP. I'll still be trying it out though to see if it's any good. Either way it was just 4 bucks.

And thanks for all the feedback. I'll probably get Trials as soon as I can, and then hold off on the rest to see if they go on sale. But I agree. We should have a global recommendation thread for people who want new stuff to play.

15. TheAdmiester

TheAdmiester
    Expand Collapse

Is there any actual reason you quoted my post to say that or are you just on the anti-CoD bandwagon?

16. SixSixSevenSeven

SixSixSevenSeven
    Expand Collapse

Played through the first time they are OK games, not great but OK.
    Combat they have down to an LT RT, pull one trigger, pull other, enemy is dead, repeat for the other enemies at other end of the map area, in some titles they are infinitely spawning and require you to advance before they stop.
    Gets real annoying every time they break immersion to force me to look at a scripted set piece or something, they are pretty but good level design should draw me to look at it naturally rather than having to wrench control away from me.
    Quick time events.
    Formula to beat at veteran: move forwards and take cover, let AI team mates deal with everyone. Repeat. Fluke your way through scripted sequences. Works for all CoD games except modern warfare 3 which to this day hasn't given me the achievements for completing the levels at any difficulty let alone veteran, I have done full game at veteran - took 1 day.
    Played properly. Normal is easy. Easy is instant win. Hardened is normal. Veteran just consists of no health and enemy grenade spamming yet still isn't hard.

I like a good first person shooter, but cod is not good.

17. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

Far cry 4 is good (pretty fun to play)

18. Nadeox1

Nadeox1
    Expand Collapse
    Spinning Cube
    BeamNG Team

Check out G2A. I used it once, and got Watch Doge for 3€.

There are some good deals. Always look at the Vendor Ranking, just to be sure.

https://www.g2a.com/

ETS2 Is a must have IMO. It's a great game, great developers.
    Wreckfest ain't bad too.
    SpinTires, I don't even know if to suggest it or not. It's fun, until you play on all maps and tried all vehicle. Development is not even a thing apparently.
    The Forest is quite nice. Quite buggy, but is coming out nicely.
    Then, Wait for GTA V - 27 January :)

19. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

lllllll nvm

#19 Koenigsegg, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  20. BlueScreen

BlueScreen
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice