1. Trouble with the game?
    Try the troubleshooter!

Dismiss Notice
  2. Issues with the game?
    Check the Known Issues list before reporting!

Dismiss Notice

What happened to updates?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jawsoflife353, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Jawsoflife353

Jawsoflife353
    Expand Collapse

It has started to seem like the devs are taking a break from BNG. There have been no updates even to experimental and they haven't made any blog or forum posts! Where did you go Gabester, Hutch, and Tdev?!

2. Pontiac

Pontiac
    Expand Collapse

They must be attending their life outside i guess.

3. Chernobyl

Chernobyl
    Expand Collapse

Why do people keep saying this. The devs are great people and are working there asses off. They are fixing bugs and stuff so there is no point releasing an update. They are always working you just don't know it.

4. garyjpaterson

garyjpaterson
    Expand Collapse

Yes i'm sure the devs are hard at work, but it does seem like the whole idea of an 'experimental' build has kind of been thrown out the window.

I mean i thought after the long awaited 'race update' or 'pre-race' as it ended up being, there was going to be "no more huge updates with long delays but rather small, short, simple ones", but that didn't seem to happen much.

Then of course the experimental build was released, which was, again i quote, supposed to contain "all of the latest, bleeding-edge updates, including unfinished vehicles, terrains, and experimental features". Well yes, we got that initially, but i'm pretty sure the devs have been working on many things since then, yet they've not been implemented into the experimental build, which was what i thought the whole point was; Experimental for all the brand new stuff that probably doesnt work properly, and Stable for if you just want something that works.

I'm not saying the devs havent been doing enough work, thats absurd, and i'm very grateful for the awesome game they've made, especially with the small amount of staff and resources they have. I just think they're going about the whole 'early access' thing in a slightly strange manner, thats all.

5. B25Mitch

B25Mitch
    Expand Collapse
    Vehicle Designer
    BeamNG Team

The problem is that the stable version is essentially redundant at the moment - the experimental is better in practically every way, and rarely crashes (in my experience). I only started creating vehicle mods when the experimental was released, because up until that point BeamNG.drive wasn't ready for them. The collision improvements alone have changed everything. It may be that the devs are currently focusing on the invisible stuff, like beam stability and other things that make great mods possible. I believe that with just a few more physics features (jbeam rotation in world editor, physics freezing when inactive), a critical mass will be achieved which catapults us into a new era of abundant community content.

6. Quannix

Quannix
    Expand Collapse

I agree. Is there currently any reason to play the stable version at this point?

7. Dadud3

Dadud3
    Expand Collapse

I too am a little worried about lack of updates. I didnt pay 25$ to be not in the loop about updates. Tdev said something about having a dev post up 2 weeks ago, and never delivered.

8. nathan12276

nathan12276
    Expand Collapse

Yea it almost seems as though they disappeared, i was really happy when i heard the game kinda actually became a game and less of a wait game, i guess the wait game is back though.

9. Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg
    Expand Collapse

First it was 15$. Second it takes time make a new update.(They could be working on a big update maybe even the race update)

10. Dadud3

Dadud3
    Expand Collapse

I paid 25$ for the game.. and still, no blog post in a month. you think they would post a little something to keep us at ease.

11. MetalMilitia623

MetalMilitia623
    Expand Collapse

Remember this isn't even a game yet. Sure things may have slowed down some for the time being but all the guys working on this game do other things they aren't dedicated game developers. Anyone who is a part of this and expects it to be done in 2015 is going to be sadly mistaken. I don't expect this game to be finished until 2017. There's so much that they still have to do on it and it's going to take some serious time with their team size and the fact that they can't work on this game all the time.

While I do agree the experimental build should be getting updated more than it is maybe it hasn't been because the things they are working on either break it too much for it to even be worth it to release or they are too big of features and they want to surprise us with something awesome.

Also how much you paid for the game is up to you, there's no special perks for paying more. You were just more kind to the devs and maybe gave them the ability to spend a bit more time on the game than they would without it.

12. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse

Can we filter threads like this?

13. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I do, almost exclusively. It's called "stable" for a reason. When the experimental version released I was initially thrilled to death and having the T-75, Sunburst and
    especially the East Coast map. I was under the impression it was a nice little freebie separate from a "grander" plan that was in place after the pre-race update.

Calling the stable version redundant at this point is ridiculous since the entire roadmap for what's going on is non-existent and if I need to learn the whole
    multi-dae and file path changes, deal with camera bugs and material issues then by god tell me that's what I need to do as experimental becomes the new
    "stable".

I would like the devs to make it clear what is going on with these two versions, it's really unnecessary to force thousands who grew up with the stable version
    to use the buggy and ahem.."experimental" version by the dictates or opinions of a few who prefer it. I prefer the stable version hands down as the de jour
    BeamNG program regardless of the unfinished goodies in the experimental. Stability and a solid course of improvements is what the stable version needs
    and it would be nice to have a roadmap of planned improvements. What say you devs?

What are we going to be using in six months?

14. Hati

Hati
    Expand Collapse

I was gonna make a thread like this earlier... but honestly... this is what happens when game development is managed by programmers. Was it 2 years ago since release? Why isn’t there the semblance of a game yet? I bought into an early alpha which seemed like someone was going to make a game out of the RoR physics engine. We still have just a physics engine. We have rigs of Rod’s best vehicle creator, RoR's main programmers and an amateur level artist. I wasn’t expecting completion by now but whats happened thats notable since release?

Slidenodes
    GUI
    Overhaul of the physics engine
    Fixes to the collision code and friction
    Multi DAE support

Thank fuck for the collision fixes, friction, DAE support and the slide nodes. Why did it take this long to get this taken off of the to do list? We as an entire forum had to beg the development team for slidenodes for an entire year. Is that how its been for every feature? Has someone had to badger the dev team for them? Why don’t we have things like the foundations for or even cursory gameplay yet? Why don’t we have any fixes for how inputs are handled so its possible to drive properly? Why haven’t we seen updates to the experimental? Did you break everything again? Are you scared of progress? Why isn’t there progress? And could you please hire someone to learn what is going on and communicate with us? Why are your priorities all over the place? And why do you communicate so badly?

15. Aboroath

Aboroath
    Expand Collapse

I'm on par with your frustration on lot of these points but I must take exception to LFHutch being an "amateur" artist. He knows Torque very well but I think your point of the unorganized nature
    of this whole thing is to blame for lack of content on the map front. You hit the nail on the head regarding hiring some sort of PR person to communicate to the buying public what the hell is
    going on. The fact that this program is on Steam for the whole world to see would certainly justify the efforts and expense of having a robust communications pipeline that regularly updates
    buyers as to what's being worked on and planned features.

I love this program and want to help any way I can but I've been concerned where this is headed ever since the decision to release the experimental version, with nary a peep about the full race
    update, inferred issues with the prime vehicle artist and what reads like a general lack of control of how to operate the whole project.

16. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

Oh wow, thanks a lot for those nice compliments... really helps to keep up the motivation to work 60 hours weeks on this.

- - - Updated - - -

@progress, we are doing quite some right now but the force feedback got delayed as we were not pleased on how it worked out with the first try, so we redid it from ground up.

17. go14smoke

go14smoke
    Expand Collapse

(imported from here)
    You guys work like crazy, some people don't get it and you gotta live with it. There are more people that get it, though, and that's what matters.

18. tdev

tdev
    Expand Collapse
    Developer
    BeamNG Team

writing a blogpost right now, lots of stuff to think of ...

19. redrobin

redrobin
    Expand Collapse

@Community

Wow, I thought I could be a dick sometimes. You guys are a little hot headed, go take a cold shower and fucking wait for updates. Do you guys want a crappy game (physics engine, whatever)? If you do, please just go somewhere else. These guys are trying their hardest you insensitive pricks.

Here's a challenge for you, go code a game that's worth a fuck. Here, you have unlimited time, now code a game that's worth a fuck. I bet you can't. Why you may ask? 'Cause I can't.

Here, have a slow loading website: http://lotofillustrations.com/
    Put it on a faster server in 24 hours trying to lose as little data as possible, I bet you can't. Why you may ask? 'Cause I can't.

#19 redrobin, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  20. 14ramosr

14ramosr
    Expand Collapse

Im agreeing with redrobin. What the fuck guys? I know the community as a whole is better than this, but this thread shows how bad it can get. SMH
    336b6fe23dccf5ea63bbb6fedb03d6469017e33ab2ff0a9f089307a1c56cbc32.jpg

@Dev team. Keep doing what youre doing, dont let some impatient douchenozzles get you down. Most of us understand that youre actually working damn hard, and some of you are having some serious real life problems. Ive seen BNG evolve and grow into what it is now, and maybe some people arent, but im impressed by what has been done so far, considering it is such a small team working on such a complicated thing. Youve got my support

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice